Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Anybody never hunted there but can tell me all about it?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Surely you TX guys know all about it?

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by smokepole

I’m grabbing some popcorn….

Semper Fi
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I never hunted there. But I used to hunt northern VT. Deer were few and far between. My PA hunting camp is about 50 miles from NY too. So I have flanked it anyway

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I hunt in New York, north of Blackheart on a 7x3 mile island. If you hunt one year with good snow you'll know the escape routes the deer use. I need to bring one of my tractors up and mow some shooting lanes, spread some fertilizer for the clover and alfalfa. A person could have some of the best kind of deer hunting with a little time and money spent. Wife's old family farm house built in 1904.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Life is good live it while you can.
IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
You need to narrow down "upstate". That's like me saying "western slope".

And there's no deer in NY anyway. They're all in NJ with the bears.

ETA - I hadn't looked at the high fence thread before opening this but now I get ya. There's still no deer in NY though. whistle

Last edited by bbassi; 02/16/23.

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
I hunt in New York, north of Blackheart on a 7x3 mile island. If you hunt one year with good snow you'll know the escape routes the deer use. I need to bring one of my tractors up and mow some shooting lanes, spread some fertilizer for the clover and alfalfa. A person could have some of the best kind of deer hunting with a little time and money spent. Wife's old family farm house built in 1904.

Then high fence it and you would have a perfect setup.

Just kidding. laugh

The cow is where you are, the bull is where you want to be.

No one gets something for nothing unless someone else got nothing for something.
J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J

I"m your man. It's really cold, there's some mountains, and you can bust your asss and break a leg, and maybe lay there for days at a time.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G

It took some hunting, and had to wait for it to rain!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

But i found the Perfect Pine!

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Can’t be much different than east Texas, maybe no underbrush

IC B3

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
We would freeze to death

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I’m in the northern Catskills and really enjoy hunting our place. Our shale soils suck so big antlers are rare (we’ve had a couple 130-140 deer on camera), but a typical 4-6 year old buck is <120”. One we started managing our habitat, our numbers really picked up. It’s typical to see 20+ deer in our larger plots every sit. Before the habitat work, deer sightings in the meadows weren’t quite daily occurrences. Hunting the oaks could be good depending on the acorn crop. Otherwise, you had to hunt close to bedding areas and hope to catch a break with the always swirling winds.

Nearby state land holds decent numbers, but you have to get away from the roads and hunt smart. Deerless days were not rare.

I believe there is a fair amount of illegal baiting. I’ve seen a number of deer with corn in them even though the nearest corn was miles away.

License are over the counter and relatively cheap. Would I choose to hunt publics lands as a destination? No.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by TrueGrit

Looks like a really nice place TG.

Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
A little bit of a tangent here but I've heard many say they would not think of hunting a 4K acre high fenced place in Texas or a 40K acre high fence place in Africa, but they go in with 4 buddies to lease 114 acres to hunt deer on .....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Blackie will be along to chew your asss out Tom.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by elkaddict
I’m in the northern Catskills and really enjoy hunting our place. Our shale soils suck so big antlers are rare (we’ve had a couple 130-140 deer on camera), but a typical 4-6 year old buck is <120”. One we started managing our habitat, our numbers really picked up. It’s typical to see 20+ deer in our larger plots every sit. Before the habitat work, deer sightings in the meadows weren’t quite daily occurrences. Hunting the oaks could be good depending on the acorn crop. Otherwise, you had to hunt close to bedding areas and hope to catch a break with the always swirling winds.

Nearby state land holds decent numbers, but you have to get away from the roads and hunt smart. Deerless days were not rare.

I believe there is a fair amount of illegal baiting. I’ve seen a number of deer with corn in them even though the nearest corn was miles away.

License are over the counter and relatively cheap. Would I choose to hunt publics lands as a destination? No.

We’re probably in a similar spot. We have a decent amount of private land that’s bordered by state lands. We also hunt quite a lot in Essex County in the Adirondacks.

I’ve hunted here my whole life and don’t think it’s any harder than any other place I’ve hunted deer or elk. I love to hunt when there is snow on the ground up north since you can jump a buck and not be too worried you’re going to push him into another hunter.

Myself, brothers and cousins fill most of our tags yearly if we choose but we’ve began working to shoot larger bucks and leave the little fellas to grow or for a youth hunter. Mind you are big bucks aren’t the Midwest beasts but they’re just a little older age class, definitely not real big buck hunter trophy’s.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

We shoot as many does as we have tags for to fill freezers.

We try to shoot the weird deer if we can.

Overall, we generally have a good time.

Last edited by beretzs; 02/17/23.

Semper Fi
S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Outstanding! Having a good time, what it's all about.

A
a12 Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by ingwe
A little bit of a tangent here but I've heard many say they would not think of hunting a 4K acre high fenced place in Texas or a 40K acre high fence place in Africa, but they go in with 4 buddies to lease 114 acres to hunt deer on .....
The deer can leave the 114 acres?

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by beretzs

We’re probably in a similar spot. We have a decent amount of private land that’s bordered by state lands. We also hunt quite a lot in Essex County in the Adirondacks.

I’ve hunted here my whole life and don’t think it’s any harder than any other place I’ve hunted deer or elk. I love to hunt when there is snow on the ground up north since you can jump a buck and not be too worried you’re going to push him into another hunter.

Myself, brothers and cousins fill most of our tags yearly if we choose but we’ve began working to shoot larger bucks and leave the little fellas to grow or for a youth hunter. Mind you are big bucks aren’t the Midwest beasts but they’re just a little older age class, definitely not real big buck hunter trophy’s.

Originally Posted by beretzs

[img]https://hosting.photobucket.co...E-1FB8-4D1F-AD49-53AE1E50A491.jpeg[/img]

[img]https://hosting.photobucket.co...-A072-60444FFA44D5_zps8oaknngi.jpg[/img]

[img]https://hosting.photobucket.co...-97B1-84232EB2A28C_zpscwvu3cbw.jpg[/img]

[img]https://hosting.photobucket.co...C-D5A6-474E-8866-8F8C8BF5B271.jpeg[/img]

[img]https://hosting.photobucket.co...3-0913-4B6C-917D-7EE8E65A5CBF.jpeg[/img]

[img]https://hosting.photobucket.co...0-B5A3-4400-977F-389BC04425CC.jpeg[/img]

Cool deer

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
My uncle's got two cabins in New York (Norwich area). One's got power, etc. That's surrounded by farmland and woods, so it's basically like hunting around here.

He has another piece that has a small cabin off a seasonal road. Surrounded by 4000 acres of state forest. A lot of fun to hunt. Seems like I've been going up every other year and it's always a good time. Its been a little tougher to get up there now that PA's opener is on Saturday. But I make extra effort when there's snow on the ground.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

546 members (17CalFan, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 63 invisible), 2,361 guests, and 1,309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,702
Posts18,494,272
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.