Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
L
LBP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Never mind I looked it up, you can’t visit the airplane graveyard near Tucson anymore.

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by LBP
Never mind I looked it up, you can’t visit the airplane graveyard near Tucson anymore.
The Pima Air Museum is a kick if you are into older and historic planes.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
If you don’t want to drive you can get a Grand Canyon site seeing flight out of Phoenix.

If you do want to drive, stop at Montezuma Castle and the cave dwellings and go out to Sedona and Flagstaff before you go over. That is too much for one day so you’d want to get a hotel in Flagstaff.

There are also flights from Grand Canyon city at the south entrance right before you go into the park. two years ago they were 125 a personIIRC.

If you like zoos and those types of things, there’s also a decent aquarium, I think it was in Mesa.

The never-ending flight
Of future days.
Paradise Lost. Book ii. Line 221
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
If you have the time a visit to the Heard Museum in Phoenix will open your eyes about the US Government. It's worth seeing and the restaurant has pretty good food too.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Leanwolf
If you're driving and are going to drive through one of the Indian reservations, DO NOT SPEED. The Indian Rez police do not take well to white folks who break their speeding laws.

FWIW.

L.W.

Sound wisdom.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dan700mn
We will be there Friday -Sunday fly in Thursday evening fly out Monday morning
Thinking drive to antelope canyon Friday, Grand Canyon Saturday (south rim)hike or horseback ride- Sunday Chandler zoo ?
Quick trip but that’s ok

Antelope Canyon will be a drive, almost to UT state line. You can see south rim of Grand Canyon on way back.

It may be cold and windy at Page (antelope canyon) and south rim Grand Canyon in mid-march.

Not Fargo cold and windy, but won't be Phoenix/Cactus/warm in winter weather.

Flagstaff has nice little natural history museum called Museum of Northern Arizona.

Phoenix has very good Native American Museum called Heard Museum (recommended above)

Phoenix Zoo not too bad, pretty good sized.

Another option would be to go other direction, to Tucson.

visit Sahuaro National Park, Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum (really a zoo), Titan Missile Museum, visit University of Arizona, and drive up to Mt Lemmon. You could also visit the Pima Air and Space Museum

The Pima Air & Space Museum, located in Tucson, Arizona, is one of the world's largest non-government funded aerospace museums. The museum features a display of nearly 300 aircraft spread out over 80 acres on a campus occupying 127 acres.

You would see a bunch of interesting country, and stay a lot warmer than Fargo, except for the drive to Mt Lemmon

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Don't use the bathroom at the Texaco in Tuba City.

Old guy, old guns.
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I’ll be rafting down through the Canyon during your visit. I’ll try to watch for you. If I see you wave, I’ll wave back. Kayaked it 10 years ago, looking forward to a more leisurely ride this time.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by StGeorger

man you ain't kiddin.........the armpit of northern AZ

Easy to go over the posted speed limit on the rez..........so watch it !

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Dan700mn
We are heading to Arizona for a long weekend in mid March. We have never been to Arizona, 16 and 13 yr old daughters are coming with. Flying into Chandler AZ area. We definitely will drive to the Grand Canyon, there is a zoo we will go too. Any other must sees ?
Thanks in advance,

North Rim still be snowed in

They may still be plowing snow in Flagstaff

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

IC B3

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Make it as far as Kanab ?

Best Mex joint in town

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Sycamore and tikkanut have good advice. We enjoyed flagstaff and page, into Utah. I’ll never go to the Grand Canyon again, and would drive hours out of my way to avoid Sedona if I had to. I’d take a pass on cottonwood again also. Did enjoy the zoo and museums in phoenix.

White tank mountain park is just outside Phoenix and was a pleasant surprise so close to town.

Last edited by Johnsclist; 02/18/23.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by StGeorger

Bathrooms at Cameron Trading Post are very clean, but you have to pull off the highway a bit to park.

Sinclair station at the Gap usually is in pretty good shape.

Not sure what the deal is, but the Sinclair Stations across the Navajo Res are uniformly clean, and bathrooms well-maintained.

Other brands are a little more "hit or miss" (sometimes literally!)

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I like the Desert Museum , which is more like a zoo, near Tucson, but that's out of the question time wise.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Johnsclist
Sycamore and tikkanut have good advice. We enjoyed flagstaff and page, into Utah. I’ll never go to the Grand Canyon again, and would drive hours out of my way to avoid Sedona if I had to. I’d take a pass on cottonwood again also. Did enjoy the zoo and museums in phoenix.

White tank mountain park is just outside Phoenix and was a pleasant surprise so close to town.

Remember though.......

Mid 1990's on Hwy 89 west of Page..........

Driving along minding my own business.......

'89 4Runner......@ 70 mph....whole damm truck starting shaking...??????

Hit the brakes & headed for the shoulder...just then look up ^^^^^^

Rivets of the belly of an F16 !!!!!!!!!!

He buzzed me and was G O N E !!!!!!!!!!! (sum bitch)

This is NO BS..........remember it like it happened yesterday

Pilot prob laughed his nuts off back to base

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you are into history even a little bit then Tombstone is an absolute must in my opinion. I've been three times and will most likely go again. They have done a pretty good job at not letting it get too "touristy" like many other historical sites have. The remaining buildings have been kept as original as possible and house museums, theaters, bars, etc. I could read those old newspaper articles they have archived for hours.

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm not going to begin to tell you what you should try to jam into a long weekend in AZ, but this is where to go to discover weekend highway closures in the metro Phoenix area, which may save you some time going from place to place:

https://azdot.gov/

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Sedona is some of the most beautiful scenery in the country. It's more accessible for hiking than Grand Canyon, which is beyond spectacular of course.There are interesting old farms, cliff dwellings, pictographs in the vicinity of Sedona as well. One of the scariest drives of my life was in a March snowstorm between Sedona and Flagstaff. Lots of people stranded over night. Their road crews are not like Colorado. Snow in Grand Canyon and long lines. Can't drive through the Rez going North from there on account of Covid or something. Tuba City and the Rez is spectacular in the opposite direction. Fastest way around Phoenix is detour to Death Valley and back. Wife loves the Saguaros. I don't get it...

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Arizona is about 500 miles long and 350 miles wide... trying to fit Tombstone and Antelope canyon in a 3 day weekend is like saying you are going to Los Angeles, from there going down to San Diego one day and up to San Francisco another, in 3 days.

Kent

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The term is often overused, but it truly is an amazing state when compared to most. A ton of good info above, and the comments about time and distances are spot on.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

194 members (260Remguy, 1badf350, 300_savage, 29aholic, 10gaugemag, 270wsmnutt, 28 invisible), 16,845 guests, and 1,108 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,878
Posts18,538,135
Members74,050
Most Online20,796
6 hours ago

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.