Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
TakeEm Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
I’ve always used an RCBS rock chucker and uniflow since I started reloading rifle around 1994 when I was 12 with Dad or Uncle supervision.

Thinking about a new set up since I don’t live close to home anymore and although I can still use the same set up, I’m thinking about going to a progressive or turret press.

I currently load for

6mm Creedmoor
.25-06
7mm Rem Mag
.300 Win Mag

Of those, I shoot the .223 and 6mm the most. I have dies to load .40/10mm but it’s such a pain on a single stage I don’t do it.

I was thinking about a Dillon 550 but have to admit I don’t understand why I need a caliber conversion kit for every cartridge? Like for any .223 case head I use a #10 shell holder , .308 uses a #3, Magnums #4, etc.

The only thing I load volumes of at a time is .223 and soon to be 6mm. The others 50 or so at a time. I’d like to save time but don’t think I want to change a tool head every time I change cartridges.

Maybe I just don’t understand how it works. I see I also need a different powder bar for different classes. How many of those do I need? I think I need at least two as the smaller cartridges I load for are 25-60 grains powder and the magnums are 65-73 grains.

I’ve also considered the Hornady lock n load AP as it seems simpler. I’d probably consider loading pistol again as well. I have no pistol primers however since I gave up on it.

Isaiah 6:8

HR IC

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have 2, 550s. One set up for small primer cases, the other for large primer cases. 223 is the only rifle round I load on the 550, and even then, only 'partially'. I deprime and size on a single-stage, hand prime after tumbling. Only powder drop, and seating are done on 223 cases in the 550. The 550 meters the powders I use in the 223, (8208 and
Pro Varmint) really well. The deprime/sizer die is not even in the press. When loading handgun cases, all the dies are in place and priming is done on the press. One 550 loads 9mm, 38Sp and 38 Super. The other 550 sees all off my older, large primer 45ACP cases. Everything else gets loaded on a single stage.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I use the 550 for 223, 6.5 Gren and 308

The Hornady LNL for 500 JRH, 44, 480 and 10mm.

I got the Hornady LNL first but if I started again I’d get two Dillons.

The tool heads on the Dillon hold the dies and powder dropper. So some folks get a tool head for each cartridge just to swap easily.

Semper Fi
T
TakeEm Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Doing some more research, is there a max case length?
Thinking .300 PRC for future needs.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by TakeEm
Doing some more research, is there a max case length?
Thinking .300 PRC for future needs.
I have my 550B with tool heads for .300 BO, multiple pistol rounds, probably a dozen tool head set ups.

My rifle rounds, including .223, .22-204, etc are loaded with my Big Boss II and Rockchucker presses. I don’t load volumes of those to warrant a 550B set up.

I really like my 550B.

DF

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 02/19/23.
IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
For $140 more, I would recommend ponying up for the 750; especially if you ever plan on reloading pistol ammo. The 5th station, auto indexing and case feed system are pretty nice to have. Switching from large to small primers on the 750 is pretty easy too.

Yours in Liberty,

BL
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have a 550 and a square deal. I have had two or three 650's over the years. I agree with Ben Lurkin, I would buy a 750 (newer version of the the 650). I would gladly trade my 550 and square deal for a 650 or 750.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've got a 550B and a 650, (and a Redding Ultra-Mag, RCBS Rock Chucker and 2 Ponsness Warrens).

It all comes down to volume. The majority of my rifle rounds are loaded on a single stage press. I can easily get 400-500 rds an hr. from my 550, and just shy of 1000 rds per hr. off my 650. Big question is, how much is your time worth?

The 550B I've had since 1990, it's been a great press. The 550 IMHO is a more versatile machine, especially IF you change calibers often. It's easier/quicker to change calibers and can be used as a single stage press. For instance I have 2 tool heads set up for .223; one is just for sizing and expanding, the other is for charging and bullet seating. That way I run the sized brass through my Dillon vibratory cleaner, then Giraud trimmer after sizing before I charge and seat bullets. Auto indexing is great, until it isn't, then unscrewing something can be a PITA.

I lave my 650 set up for my 9mm match ammo. I load for around 13 calibers on the 550, usually in couple hundred round "lots".

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

“Might does not make right but it sure makes what is.”
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
First off, do not get the LNL AP over the Dillon. I started with a LNL because I got it for a good deal. It was a pain in my rear. Sold it off when I picked up a smoking deal on a 650 setup with lots of accessories. The Dillon is a way more refined and user friendly machine.

I have no experience with a 550, but for the price difference I’m not sure I’d get a 550 over a 750. The 750 is a 650 but with the 550 priming system… if that makes sense. I really like my 650.

I load 223, 300blk, 308, 9mm, 40, and 45 on the 650. Have loaded 44mag, 357 mag and a few other one off calibers that I don’t shoot often. I also do majority of my case processing for 223 and 300blk on the 650. I have the RT1200(now the 1500) trimmer and I size/deprime/trim 223 in one pass. I swage with a super swage 600 and chamfer/debur by hand(probably could get away without doing that). Then run it back through and load. 300blk goes in the case feeder as 223, universal deprime, run it through the trim die and cut it down from full 223 to 300blk, then a final sizing die before it goes out. Still swage on the super 600 and chamfer/debur.

Like you, my 308 hunting ammo, 25-06, 270, 30-06, hunting 223, 243, and 240wby all get loaded on a single stage. I usually load 100, and then when I’ve shot 30 or 40 rounds will reload that brass so nothing high volume.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Ben_Lurkin
For $140 more, I would recommend ponying up for the 750; especially if you ever plan on reloading pistol ammo. The 5th station, auto indexing and case feed system are pretty nice to have. Switching from large to small primers on the 750 is pretty easy too.

I agree 100%. Get a 750 and rock on. Keep your Rock Chucker for those sort of tasks you don’t want to get the Dillon out for like sizing just a few cases for load development.

On the Hornady LNL AP:

I have two of these. They are actually very capable machines but have quirks you have to work through. If you aren’t a tinkerer and you’re not a DIY kinda guy, it won’t be for you. Lots of manufacturing issues with mine but once I sorted them out, it loads straighter ammo with less headache than the Dillon. For example, polishing primer shuttle parts, adding a taper to shuttle’s leading edge, adjusting timing, opening up and chamfering the case feeder tube, putting a ramp in the case feeder to keep it from jamming, etc.

But with the o-ring design of the bushing combined with the design of the shell holder, the Hornady loads MUCH better rounds with more consistent shoulder bump, better concentricity, and more consistent seating with the same dies. The powder thrower on the Hornady just works. To get the Dillon to match the Hornady, you’ve got to buy lots of aftermarket accessories. Once you upgrade a 750, it is far superior to the Hornady in terms of quality and it’s just a less finicky design.

"Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads."
IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I think the 550B is more simple to set up. Get tool heads set up for all your rounds, ready to go with dedicated powder measures. They have tool head stands for storing them when not in use.

If you swap out round much, go with the 550B

If you’re into big time production, then the bigger presses are the way to go.

IMO

DF

T
TakeEm Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Lots of good information from everyone, thank you. I’m starting to wonder if I should just upgrade my single stage to a Forster Co-Ax or RCBS Summit. The volume I load .223 is 200 at a time basically. $739 for the Dillon 750 plus caliber conversion kits for every rifle.

My main concern is precision loading and ease of use.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Lots of good information from everyone, thank you. I’m starting to wonder if I should just upgrade my single stage to a Forster Co-Ax or RCBS Summit. The volume I load .223 is 200 at a time basically. $739 for the Dillon 750 plus caliber conversion kits for every rifle.

My main concern is precision loading and ease of use.

What do you believe a Forster would do for you that your current press wouldn’t? Or are you just using your family’s press?

You don’t need all the tool heads if you don’t mind changing the dies out. You’d really just need plates and that’s it.

Precision being a concern, a few upgrades and you’ll load as good ammo on a Dillon as any press out there. This year's 1,000 yard SWN Open Champ loads his ammo on a Dillon with an auto-drive.

Last edited by drop_point; 02/21/23.

"Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads."
T
TakeEm Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by drop_point
[/quote]

What do you believe a Forster would do for you that your current press wouldn’t? Or are you just using your family’s press?

You don’t need all the tool heads if you don’t mind changing the dies out. You’d really just need plates and that’s it.

Precision being a concern, a few upgrades and you’ll load as good ammo on a Dillon as any press out there. This year's 1,000 yard SWN Open Champ loads his ammo on a Dillon with an auto-drive.

I thought it might load more concentric than the old rock chucker, which is my father’s yes. Same with the Summit. Although I am grown and long gone from home I like to spend my visits visiting and not in the basement loading. I don’t get to visit as much anymore and I shoot a fair amount.

Can I have one shell plate for everything that uses the same size case head? .223/standard/magnum?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Been using one for years without a hitch.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
The 550 is a decent loader, but the 650 is easily twice as fast. Even changing tool heads isn’t much faster than the 650. You really need to load a lot to justify all the equipment when you have tool heads for every cartridge you load.

If you shoot a lot, it’s worth it to get the 650, or the newer 750. Don’t ever get rid of the Rockchucker..

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by drop_point

I thought it might load more concentric than the old rock chucker, which is my father’s yes. Same with the Summit. Although I am grown and long gone from home I like to spend my visits visiting and not in the basement loading. I don’t get to visit as much anymore and I shoot a fair amount.

Can I have one shell plate for everything that uses the same size case head? .223/standard/magnum?[/quote]

Concentricity is one of those things that depends more on process and dies than anything. The press has little influence. There have been tests performed on this (see Ultimate Reloader) and that is anecdotal at best.

On the Dillon, yes the same family shell holder works for all cartridges in that family. Many like the “conversions” and extra tool heads to make change-out faster.

J
J
You first need to figure out if the volume you're going to reload is worth the expense it's going to cost you for each caliber. I have a 750, and a few other presses. I just use the 750 for a few handgun calibers. The rifles, I you other presses. I have a friend that uses a Lee turret, and he's happy with that. Dillions are good, but the caliber change start to add up pretty fast.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I load all my rifle cartridges on a Redding Big Boss II single stage press. I load pistol cartridges on a Dillon 750. Before I got the 750 I had a Hornady LNL. The Hornady was OK but moving to the 750 was a big step up.

Unless you're shooting a lot of rifle rounds I don't think a progressive press is a huge advantage. But if you are a high volume competitive shooter or varmint hunter it can make sense. I mostly hunt big game and don't need to load large volumes of rifle ammunition for hunting.

I shoot a lot of 9mm in action matches so the Dillon 750 makes it much easier to load the volume I need. I do shoot .223 in action matches but have mostly used bulk ammo for that.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I love my Dillon 550's!! One setup for large primers and one for small per a recommendation from writer Mic McPherson.. Handgun cases are loaded as-is. Rifle cases are full length sized on my Redding Ultramag using Redding Competition shellholders, tumbled, trimmed and then fed into the appropriate 550.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

74 members (257_X_50, 35, afisher, 6mmCreedmoor, 11 invisible), 828 guests, and 811 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,977
Posts18,519,915
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.