Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
The house we have was built in 68 and added on to in 72.

A few years ago we replaced the siding and put some insulation as well as vapor barrier all around the house.

Also while having the outside tore down we put in new windows and added on to one of the rooms for the mother in law to live in,so she would have more space.

The house was paid for and we got a loan to do the work as well as putting our money into the job.

Don't know what it is worth now vs before but it is warmer and cooler so costs are down.

It looks good too.

Many years ago we were trying to get a loan for a 3 bedroom house reddy built but the loan folks said everything was good but a neighbors house didn't look good for them to loan.

He needed to paint the outside wood.

We live outside any city but it did piss us off when we heard about it.

In your case i would be upset ain't none of their affair.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Higginez
Somebody sends me a letter like that, we are having words.

Glock might even go from condition 1 to condition 2.

Warning shots or they won't believe you're serious.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't care what any of my neighbors do to their property. None of my business.

Likewise, a letter like that would get a "nonya" response.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Not sure how I would respond, but don't think I would take too kindly to getting a letter like that.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If they're to puzzy to even discuss it, I'd be inclined to put a couch in the front yard....just for fun.

We paid our property off 5 years ago and plan on spending 30-50 on improvements. Fwiw, we have the cash to do it and the homes around us are 4x what I paid, but if my neighbors were not as good as they are, I would probably sell and move one last time.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
IC B2

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H

I se what you did there.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by gitem_12
some posts on another thread got me to thinking about mortgages. we live in an older home neighborhood. lots of big victorian houses on the street. one thing i have noticed is a few of the young couples who have bought after we did. is that they are going hog wild with exterior renovations. An example is the house 4 doors kitty corner to me. he works for a water transfer company and she is an "office admin". they probably make 110k combined. they have soaked close to 30k in new siding roofing and concrete driveway this past summer. It's their money so they can spend it how they want. However, when they sent me a letter stating I needed to replace my siding and "spruce up my driveway and front porch, because their property values could be affected. I laughed. I know approximately what they paid for that house, even with a 20% down payment they are paying close to 2500.00 a month my mortgage on a bigger house is just over a grand because our Home owners ins. went up. we have remodeled about 60% of the interior of our house but I refues to touch the exterior other than necessary maintenance until we get ready to sell.

My suspicion is they are upside down and are borrowing even more money to upgrade things in order to sell it and come out right side up. some folks need to understand what drives tax increases. and so far I havent been reassessed at a higher rate. and I figure the exterior "decoy" conditions are helping with that. I couldnt give a fugg what their property values do

I know office admins making 75k+ and I don't live in a high pay area. Also with how things were going over the past couple of years, pretty likely they had a pile of equity to roll into the new purchase and one never knows what they actually paid on the mortgage.

Guessing someone else's financials is only slightly worse for accuracy than guessing the weather.

Me

G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Teal
some posts on another thread got me to thinking about mortgages. we live in an older home neighborhood. lots of big victorian houses on the street. one thing i have noticed is a few of the young couples who have bought after we did. is that they are going hog wild with exterior renovations. An example is the house 4 doors kitty corner to me. he works for a water transfer company and she is an "office admin". they probably make 110k combined. they have soaked close to 30k in new siding roofing and concrete driveway this past summer. It's their money so they can spend it how they want. However, when they sent me a letter stating I needed to replace my siding and "spruce up my driveway and front porch, because their property values could be affected. I laughed. I know approximately what they paid for that house, even with a 20% down payment they are paying close to 2500.00 a month my mortgage on a bigger house is just over a grand because our Homeowners ins. went up. we have remodeled about 60% of the interior of our house but I refues to touch the exterior other than necessary maintenance until we get ready to sell.

My suspicion is they are upside down and are borrowing even more money to upgrade things in order to sell it and come out right side up. some folks need to understand what drives tax increases. and so far I havent been reassessed at a higher rate. and I figure the exterior "decoy" conditions are helping with that. I couldnt give a fugg what their property values do

I know office admins making 75k+ and I don't live in a high pay area. Also, with how things were going over the past couple of years, pretty likely they had a pile of equity to roll into the new purchase and one never knows what they actually paid on the mortgage.

Guessing someone else's financials is only slightly worse for accuracy than guessing the weather.

I know the companies they both work at i'd be surprised if she is making 15/hour and he's not making more than 17 but works 6 12 hour days so some OT makes up for it. they are in their early 20s with three kids.

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

heh

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
some posts on another thread got me to thinking about mortgages. we live in an older home neighborhood. lots of big victorian houses on the street. one thing i have noticed is a few of the young couples who have bought after we did. is that they are going hog wild with exterior renovations. An example is the house 4 doors kitty corner to me. he works for a water transfer company and she is an "office admin". they probably make 110k combined. they have soaked close to 30k in new siding roofing and concrete driveway this past summer. It's their money so they can spend it how they want. However, when they sent me a letter stating I needed to replace my siding and "spruce up my driveway and front porch, because their property values could be affected. I laughed. I know approximately what they paid for that house, even with a 20% down payment they are paying close to 2500.00 a month my mortgage on a bigger house is just over a grand because our Home owners ins. went up. we have remodeled about 60% of the interior of our house but I refues to touch the exterior other than necessary maintenance until we get ready to sell.

Pics?

Padded VA Hospital Rooms for $1000 Alex

Originally Posted by renegade50
My ignoree,s will never be Rock Stars on 24 hr campfire.....Like me!!!!

What are psychotic puppet hunters?
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm trying to position myself to buy if there is a bubble and the housing market tanks.

Prices are going down around my area but not anywhere near a situation where there is a market crash

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by earlybrd
A housing bubble pop is on the horizon and the 2008 one was a burp compared to what’s coming
My 1st wife and I were making double mortgage payments to pay ours off before I retired. Then she got cancer and passed away in '06. We knew her work had a good death benefit but it turned out to be double what we'd expected, enough to pay off the mortgage. It was suggested to me by people who knew about these things that I keep the low interest mortgage and invest the money instead as the investment would pay more than I was paying in interest. However, I wanted to do what my wife and I had planned, pay it off, so that's what I did. Then '08 hit. If I'd invested it, I would likely have lost a lot of it. As it was, I haven't made a mortgage payment since '07.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Paying off your mortgage may not be what "experts" recommend, especially with fixed, low interest rates, but being debt free is worth a lot to some people, and, if you and a spouse have both been dumping 15%+ match into retirement accounts and funding a Roth yearly, it may be "better" for you than putting more into the market.

I'm looking forward to the house being paid off this year and being debt free. That's worth more than a dollar amount to me and my wife.

YMMV

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I agree with the paying off the mortgage crowd. If it is paid off they can’t repo it. Let them take the cars and whatever else but leave my home alone. Being debt free is an unbelievable feeling.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S

How many warning shots? Are they Rastafarians?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We have a couple of months of payments left and we are debt free.

I will consider a new vehicle in a couple of years. Just not sure what i will be looking at getting at that time.

My wife is driving less that 1,000 miles a year and has been the past 5+ years. Her car has about 50,000 miles on it and she was talking about going to one vehicle for the two of us. And when that decision is made, we more than likely purchase another short bed pickup, 4X4 and 4 door. With all the extras. It makes for a great road vehicle.

With all my moves while working and when we retired, it made it difficult to have our home paid off over the years. Also, at our age we may make one more move, and down size a bit. We just cannot agree on a place that we both would be comfortable with. We now would like good medical. Good road system for driving and a nice airport to fly out of. So that limited us in our choices.

"Sorry don't get it done, Dude"
John Wayne 1959
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Maybe they are fixing it up because they know they will be living there for a long time.........that still gives them no reason to send you a letter about fixing up your place.......

New prices of even starter homes around here are out of range for many new couples. $250/sq ft is where they start.

I have enough money in the checking account to pay off my mortgage but the interest I make in the checking account is higher than the interest on the mortgage loan. Strange times we are living in.

Last edited by centershot; 02/20/23.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by 160user
Originally Posted by tikkanut
bought my current property late in life.....

at 2% financing

oh those were the days

almost paid for

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I got "screwed" at 3% on mine. I am in no rush to pay it off as that is the only tax write off I have.

You must have one hell of a huge mortgage payment to be able to deduct the interest.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I am trying to understand why it would be my responsibility to make their investment pay off.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
some posts on another thread got me to thinking about mortgages. we live in an older home neighborhood. lots of big victorian houses on the street. one thing i have noticed is a few of the young couples who have bought after we did. is that they are going hog wild with exterior renovations. An example is the house 4 doors kitty corner to me. he works for a water transfer company and she is an "office admin". they probably make 110k combined. they have soaked close to 30k in new siding roofing and concrete driveway this past summer. It's their money so they can spend it how they want. However, when they sent me a letter stating I needed to replace my siding and "spruce up my driveway and front porch, because their property values could be affected. I laughed.
I hope you replied "GFY"... I sure as hell would have..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

523 members (10gaugemag, 222Sako, 1234, 1Longbow, 10gaugeman, 2500HD, 57 invisible), 3,245 guests, and 1,212 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,707
Posts18,534,814
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.