Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
E
ERK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Most of the earth muffins in Fairbanks arrived via the University. It’s like a disease that continues to spread. Then they graduate and get government jobs. Edk

GB1

E
ERK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
I do remember the Bush Club and Chillkoot Charles down by Soldotna. Edk

A
AGL4now Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Never thought of it as magical at all. Glad to arrive, get a haircut, have a couple steaks, go on a 2 day bender, and gladder to leave.
There used to be a couple of adjoining bars on 4th, to comply with the law one bar would close at say 5 am, they'd open the partition between, and everybody would migrate "next door" without missing a beat or going outside. Anybody here old enough to remember the name of the two joints?

"Malamute Bar" ???

Top "LEFT" photo: https://www.bing.com/images/search?...chorage+Alaska&form=IGRE&first=1

Last edited by AGL4now; 02/20/23.

ALASKA is a "HARD COUNTRY for OLDMEN". (But if you live it wide'ass open, balls'to the wall, the pedal floored, full throttle, it is a delightful place, to finally just sit-back and savor those memories while sipping Tequila).
Campfire Regular
Online Shocked
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ihookem
"There was a time", when hundreds of cities were magical. As for me, I live in SE Wis. and nothing has changed here much in the small towns. There is a town , called Phillips Wis. that has not changed much at all since I first went there in 1980. There are still no stop lights in the town of 1,500?. Some shops come and go. The only real change is a Quick Trip. There are a few more houses along the river where my cabin is , however , there is actually less hunters, and kayakers on the river. Was a time 30 yrs ago there was 10 cars parked by my property on opening day of gun season were the public land starts. The last 3 yrs. there was 2 cars . In my township of 36 sq. mi. there are 170 residence , up 4 in the last 10 yrs. All other townships lost people. SOme of Upper Michigan is in terrible shape. Hard winters, no jobs is the culprit.

If anything they have dried up, I spent a lot of time Northern Wisconsin, behind the cheddah curtain...
Little town I spent time in had a feed store, hardware, butcher shop, hotel, blacksmith shop, garage service station, bank, lumber yard, post office, several grocery stores, pharmacy, clothing, general store, barber shop, and at least a half dozen watering holes.

It was a place of activity and commence in the mid 60's, now it consists of a couple crappy bars and a Cenex station.... that's it, pretty sad all the way around.

For those without thumbs, it's s Garden fookin Island, not Hawaii
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by ERK
I do remember the Bush Club and Chillkoot Charles down by Soldotna. Edk
Bush Company and Good Time Charlie’s.

GTC has been demolished and left just a pad.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B2

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by cwh2
Originally Posted by Calvin
I don't know, IHOP was pretty dang magical this weekend.

If you were in town and didn't call I am offended!

79, I'm planning to panhandle at 3 bears.

Survived my first big swim meet with the daughter.

Next time

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

Next time
Age groups!

How did it go?

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Thinking about all the Hot Air Ballons over Anchorage around 84 in the summer months

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
wish I had kept my "I drove Tudor road" bumper sticker.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
In the late '70s a cab headed east near Great Northern Egos on Tudor disappeared in a sinkhole. At ground level it was completely gone.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B3

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by ironbender

Next time
Age groups!

How did it go?
About as expected. My oldest had 6 swims. Be curious how she does next year as a 10 y/o. Breaststroke is her strongest stroke. See what that summer growth spurt does.

Some fast kids there.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Good for her.
I remember those days.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Kwg, a buddy worked on some sort of preservation/renovation at ss a while ago. If you ever come back up, give us a shout and we'll round you up a place to crash.

Eta: anchorage has never been magical to me, only a means to an end. Can't complain, as it's been awfully good to me, but it certainly isn't changing in a positive direction. I see myself relocating out to the valley and moving in next to 79s so we can drink beers every night.
cwh2 thanks for the offer. We stayed at a real nice place unfortunately I don't recall the name at this second. It's where my wife wanted to stay. I do have an old friend from my Site Summit days who lives in anchorage. He was a geologist for 30 years and worked out of an office at the University. He got us back up the hill to see Site Summit. The place is a mess compared to what it was like when we was there. It was a bit rough and unrefined when we were there in the 1970's but it was an Army location after all. https://www.nikesitesummit.net/

We plan on going back up in a couple more years. We enjoyed our time there and are willing to spend the money to do it again. But, it would be fun to hit some of the places we used to hang out so many years ago, if they are still there. I did make it to the Sportsmans Warehouse in Anchorage. It's twice as big as the one in Ankeny.

kwg

I remember Tudor Road. It was being worked on again this last summer when we were there. I can truthfully say I have never seen Tudor Road when it was NOT under construction .
kwg

Last edited by kwg020; 02/21/23.

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Never thought of it as magical at all. Glad to arrive, get a haircut, have a couple steaks, go on a 2 day bender, and gladder to leave.
There used to be a couple of adjoining bars on 4th, to comply with the law one bar would close at say 5 am, they'd open the partition between, and everybody would migrate "next door" without missing a beat or going outside. Anybody here old enough to remember the name of the two joints?

Was one the Union club ?? It was right across the street from the Holiday Inn as I recall. In the summer of 1975 there was the whore wars in Fairbanks. The lower 48 girls (hookers)and the Alaska girls (also hookers) were fighting over territory. I think they called 2nd St. the DMZ. The locals on one side and the lower 48 girls on the other. Myself and a couple of friends made the trek to Fairbanks when it was all happening and got to witness a bit of it. Stuff that could only happen in a boom town.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
A
AGL4now Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Magical was purchasing firearms, ammo and traps at: Carrs Grocery, J.C Penny's, Northern Commercial, Sears, Montgomery Wards.

Standing line for three minutes to get an Alaska Drivers License for either of the two clerks.

Anchorage ended at 15'th Avenue. Beyond was homesteaders.

When the train arrived from up north @ the Anchorage Station, a half hour later you would see men on the downtown streets, with a well-used backpack, and a rifle, going in and out of shops for supplies.

Wasilla had two buildings. The Parks Hwy. did not go to Fairbanks. Working men made more money than Bankers. Commercial fishermen made more money than the President of America. (That is still true).

You sat at the lunch counter in dinners next to very famous men, dress just like you.

Homesteaders had their own set of hunting-fishing regulations. A prove-up cabin was 11' X 11' for a family.

The Anchorage "International" Airport was one small building, and 747's taxied near, and you waded through snow to the building, often in the dark.

Tudor Rd. did not connect to Muldoon Rd.

ALASKA is a "HARD COUNTRY for OLDMEN". (But if you live it wide'ass open, balls'to the wall, the pedal floored, full throttle, it is a delightful place, to finally just sit-back and savor those memories while sipping Tequila).
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
747 wasn’t in common use until the early 70s.

Most of the above sounds like it was well before that.

I’d have love to have seen it.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
From about McDonald's east on Tudor did not exist in the mid '60s. The Abby and Spada's Feed and Seed were the end of the line.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
A
AGL4now Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Anyone remember "EAT-ME" Submarine Shops, and our gross commercials......???

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by kwg020

Was one the Union club ?? It was right across the street from the Holiday Inn as I recall. In the summer of 1975 there was the whore wars in Fairbanks. The lower 48 girls (hookers)and the Alaska girls (also hookers) were fighting over territory. I think they called 2nd St. the DMZ. The locals on one side and the lower 48 girls on the other. Myself and a couple of friends made the trek to Fairbanks when it was all happening and got to witness a bit of it. Stuff that could only happen in a boom town.

kwg
Yeah, I'm thinkin' the Union Club for sure...but i can't remember the name of the other bar it was married to. There was plenty of rubble and wreckage still evident from the big earthquake. I ran out of money there one night about midnight, long before the age of credit cards and ATM's, told the bartender my tale of woe...couldn't cash a paycheck I was holding until bank opened. He said how much?, I showed him the check, he never batted an eye...I can cover that, follow me, into the back room he counted out 3G's right then. 3G's sounds like peanuts now, but it was a nice check in the late 60's.
Made the mistake of overnighting in Fairbanks (they kicked us out of the airport waiting lounge) in the spring of '69, headed for a bush job, the boomtown was so crowded, 6 guys chipped in a hundred bucks each to get a motel room...2 in the bed and 4 on the floor...and damned glad to get it.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The other bar may have been the Scandinavian Club. It was in that area.

Montgomery Ward was called Caribou Ward also. They sold Weatherby Rifles.

There was a hell of a good little hardware store in Fireweed. Can't remember name.....BREWSTERS

I bought my finer clothes at the store in Mountain View....Filson Dealer.

Also spent money in Midnight Sun Boat supply in Mountain View.

And of course, Mountain View Sports was in Mountain View.....always stopped to BS with Jack.....

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

78 members (257 roberts, 257_X_50, 21, ak_Rick, 2ndwind, 6 invisible), 2,368 guests, and 957 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,779
Posts18,536,017
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.