Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Edited this original post it was way too long. If you could only have one scope for all of your hunting needs what would you go with? I’m not trying to buy a new scope just curious.

I think I would have to go with my Trijicon Credo HX in 2.5-10 even over several more expensive scopes in the safe. I love the light gathering as well as the durability and the simplicity of the illuminated duplex style reticle that I have on mine.

Hoping this will be fun to read and enjoyable to share with one another

Last edited by MosesTucker; 02/21/23.
GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I'd probably go with the Bushie LRHS/LRTS 3-12, depending on which reticle fit my overall use better.

Most importantly, they've proven to be tough. Secondly, I like the reticles, overall size, X range and feature set. Lastly, the view is very good.

But I hope to never experience a time in which I am constrained to own one scope. I enjoy the process of trying new and different scopes far too much.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Many years ago this is what Leupold recommended...for the "one scope rifleman".

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Starbuck
But I hope to never experience a time in which I am constrained to own one scope. I enjoy the process of trying new and different scopes far too much.

Amen to this!! ^^^

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nightforce 2.5-10x42mm Compact. For al my big game needs.

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
It would depend upon the focus of shooting to be weighted more toward big game hunting or shooting varmints.

If attention is to big game, it would be a Swarovski Z3 3-10 with BRX reticle.

If varmints it would be the Swarovski Z5 3.5-18X44 BT with 4W crosshair. It still only tips the scales at 15.9 OZ

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A scope no longer made. Leupold 2.5X8X36...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
For me, it would be the S&B PMII 6x42. There are a lot I could get by with but it's my favorite. I like simple things, no illumination, no parallax, no power adjustment, fewer lenses. Simple things have fewer points of failure. The P3/Mildot is a measured reticle that matches the adjustments, bold enough to be visible in low light/broken backgrounds, fine enough for accuracy work, not so cluttered as to hinder the view of branches/twigs, 4 outer posts to reference and subtend from in low light. I don't feel over scoped at 6x in woods or under scoped to 500...though I do appreciate more x's there. The scope has proven reliable in zero retention and adjustments for me. The glass is very good and the resolution, along with depth of focus, is great. It's not extremely heavy or oversized while still having a 30mm tube and enough tube length to work for mounting on most actions. Again, lots I could use and be happy with, but for the hunting I do, I prefer the 6x42 PMII to all others I've used.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by MosesTucker
Edited this original post it was way too long. If you could only have one scope for all of your hunting needs what would you go with? I’m not trying to buy a new scope just curious.

I think I would have to go with my Trijicon Credo HX in 2.5-10 even over several more expensive scopes in the safe. I love the light gathering as well as the durability and the simplicity of the illuminated duplex style reticle that I have on mine.

Hoping this will be fun to read and enjoyable to share with one another

What kind of hunting? Big game or varmint? If just big game hunting, I could easily get by with a Burris FFII 3-9x40 with ballistic plex reticle. Plenty good enough for shots out to 500 yards. Most of my "hunting" rifles wear them. I've tested them quite a bit and trust them. That is why they are on said rifles. For varmints, I like a little more magnification and something that dials more precisely.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by shrapnel
If varmints it would be the Swarovski Z5 3.5-18X44 BT with 4W crosshair. It still only tips the scales at 15.9 OZ

Am close to shrapnel, but would be for all game, Swaro Z5i 3.5-18x44, BRX-i. Just have not taken the time to get used to turrets, the 'Christmas trees' work good for me!

Talent is what you're born with, skills are what you earn. - Rod Smith

Time flies, but remember, you are the pilot!
IC B3

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
If I could wish, it would be alpha glass in 1x10x42 with a #4 reticle, 1" tube, and in a compact format. That would cover every base.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
I'd probably go with the Bushie LRHS/LRTS 3-12, depending on which reticle fit my overall use better.

Most importantly, they've proven to be tough. Secondly, I like the reticles, overall size, X range and feature set. Lastly, the view is very good.

x2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by smallcal
Originally Posted by shrapnel

Am close to shrapnel, but would be for all game, Swaro Z5i 3.5-18x44, BRX-i. Just have not taken the time to get used to turrets, the 'Christmas trees' work good for me!

Still a great option, but wait for Ringman to come along and suggest a Bushnell because he looks through them at grids…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ribka

x2

x13.....

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Then we have the screwball old curmudgeons like me who insist on classics with a half century trouble free track record...Bausch & Lomb Balsix B for my money. If forced to go with a 'new' scope...a Meopta straight 6x is working well. Never been a huge fan of buying and packing 'features' that I don't use or need shooting dinks at 150 yds max. I have modern scopes to ring steel at a half mile, fun, handy but necessary? Nope. Apparently there are others that feel this way as well...there is a plethora of Hubble 50mm objective scopes for sale in the classifieds here every week.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by jorgeI
A scope no longer made. Leupold 2.5X8X36...

They still make them.

Last edited by beretzs; 02/21/23.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Fotis

I’ll take the Trijicon 2-10x36mm

Semper Fi
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by huntsman22
Originally Posted by ribka

x2

x13.....

x a bunch more

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Fotis

IMHO
Offer this with a #4 reticle SFP

OR mil/mil in a FFP they would have something

Decades of voting for the lesser of two evils has gotten us just that.....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just one? That is tough.

For 90% of my hunting uses, something like the NF SHV Illuminated Forceplex is tough to beat.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Now with even more aplomb
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

538 members (24HourCampFireGuy50, 270wsmnutt, 10gaugemag, 1234, 257Bob, 57 invisible), 2,781 guests, and 1,107 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,594
Posts18,532,480
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.