Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Local gunstore here got one savage 204 ruger in, other than that basically just 6.5 CM's. Still a shortage of ammo, bullets, and powder.

futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis
HR IC

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I just recently asked that same question about M700/77/70's to two different gun buyers, one for a local LGS and another for a small chain of farm & ranch/outdoor stores here in Colorado that carry a fair amount of firearm and shooting stuff. They both in a roundabout way told me they are buying what they think sells. One of the buyers was standing in front of four Christenson rifles ranging from ~$1400 to $2000+ that have been sitting on the gun rack since this summer. I think there was originally five rifles, so they did sell one.

I find it hard to believe a CM or even a SS 700/77/70 can't be sold at a profit for less than a Christenson.

I think most of the Alliant/Reloader powders are made at the St Mark's plant in Florida. St Mark's is owned by General Dynamics now. The same General Dynamics that owns the plant in Canada that made the IMR Enduron powders that have been discontinued. The Enduron powder production was discontinued because it was preempted by military munitions production.

I'm wondering if St Mark's production has been redirected to some extent for military production too?

General Dynamics is one of three powder/ammo/munitions manufacturers that have recently signed an agreement with Canada and USA to significantly increase production of 155mm artillery rounds.

Also I believe the WW StaBall powders come out of St Mark's. When Hodgdon introduced the new Match and HD versions they mentioned that it was USA made and would be a more reliable source.......I hope so......

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Let’s go Brandon 🤬

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by clockwork_7mm
I've seen lots of new M70 FWTs and XPRs online. Cabela's has them, too. The FWTs tend to come in waves, sell out, etc.

Nosler has an online store with tons of stuff...

They list tons but show very little in stock.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
I've seen lots of new M70 FWTs and XPRs online. Cabela's has them, too. The FWTs tend to come in waves, sell out, etc.

Nosler has an online store with tons of stuff...

They list tons but show very little in stock.
It goes in and out of stock, but to the OP's original question, it clearly shows they're still in business...

IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
I just recently asked that same question about M700/77/70's to two different gun buyers, one for a local LGS and another for a small chain of farm & ranch/outdoor stores here in Colorado that carry a fair amount of firearm and shooting stuff. They both in a roundabout way told me they are buying what they think sells. One of the buyers was standing in front of four Christenson rifles ranging from ~$1400 to $2000+ that have been sitting on the gun rack since this summer. I think there was originally five rifles, so they did sell one.

I find it hard to believe a CM or even a SS 700/77/70 can't be sold at a profit for less than a Christenson.

I think most of the Alliant/Reloader powders are made at the St Mark's plant in Florida. St Mark's is owned by General Dynamics now. The same General Dynamics that owns the plant in Canada that made the IMR Enduron powders that have been discontinued. The Enduron powder production was discontinued because it was preempted by military munitions production.

I'm wondering if St Mark's production has been redirected to some extent for military production too?

General Dynamics is one of three powder/ammo/munitions manufacturers that have recently signed an agreement with Canada and USA to significantly increase production of 155mm artillery rounds.

Also I believe the WW StaBall powders come out of St Mark's. When Hodgdon introduced the new Match and HD versions they mentioned that it was USA made and would be a more reliable source.......I hope so......

Alliant powders are either made in Sweden, and bottled and packaged in VA, or a couple from Switzerland, same packaged in VA, and the ones stateside are suppose to be made there in Radford VA, at the old Radford Arsenal... down in the SW part of the state, west of Christiansburg.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Seafire
Alliant powders are either made in Sweden, and bottled and packaged in VA, or a couple from Switzerland, same packaged in VA, and the ones stateside are suppose to be made there in Radford VA, at the old Radford Arsenal... down in the SW part of the state, west of Christiansburg.

Seafire, you are correct about most RL powders being made in Sweden, but some were being made at St Marks. I was told that some time ago, so maybe it’s changed.

The pistol powders like Unique and have indeed been made in Virginia for decades.

Last edited by alpinecrick; 02/18/23.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
One possible factor with regard to the guns anyway, may be the popularity of the tactical stuff. Both shops I frequent have limited inventory of hunting rifles, and as was said a lot of those are economy models, but they stock a lot of black rifles, black shotguns, and semi-auto pistols. The market for them is year-round, not seasonal like hunting guns. A business with limited resources is more likely IMO, to invest in stuff that will sell well all year.

When I want something, I scour the Earth looking for it. Took good long while to find my Henry .357 SS, and a Howa Carbon Mini, both online. OTOH, after seeing a Mossberg 590s on YouTube, I called one of my shops, they had one, and I jumped on it. Took about a week to score a S&W 5.7, but I asked my shop to put me on a list, and that paid off quickly. I would’ve bought one online if there were any at list price, but the scalpers had all I saw jumped up from $50 to $150. Waiting for what you want to magically appear locally, or cruising around hoping to get lucky aren’t very efficient; you have to be persistent and aggressive.

What fresh Hell is this?
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
The companies you mentioned are supplying what they can I guess. Berger bullets seem to be completely absent from my searches. And primers, well lets just say primers are just a memory now. I did happen to have a new Remington 700 cdl in my hands today that was way nicer than anything That bared the name in quite some time. And at 879.00 with walnut stock , not terrible price if shoots.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Several years back Ruger switched their thought process from quality to quantity.

All I ever see of Winchester firearms in stores are their cheaper lower end model rifles and shotguns as well.

Maybe both manufacturers are more focused on what 80% of consumers want versus the other 20% 🤷🏻‍♂️.

Seems like the only Alliant powders that are ever on the shelf are powders very few people use. I’ve been looking for a few lbs of 17 and 26 myself for 2-3 years.

As far as Hornady is concerned I see the same thing, more of their projectiles on the shelf than all other manufacturers combined. Always been that way though. Just assumed not a lot of people in my area shot them.

Idk what Nosler’s deal is. Maybe they are more focused on their new rifles than anything else. Their components have been hard to find since before the plandemic and are practically extinct. And the prices are usually holy $hit high when you do find them. I paid $50 a box for few boxes of .277 150BT’s I found in a LGS a few weeks back 😳

Last edited by ShortMag11; 02/19/23.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ShortMag11
As far as Hornady is concerned I see the same thing, more of their projectiles on the shelf than all other manufacturers combined. Always been that way though. Just assumed not a lot of people in my area shot them.

Idk what Nosler’s deal is. Maybe they are more focused on their new rifles than anything else. Their components have been hard to find since before the plandemic and are Pritikin ally extinct. And the prices are usually holy $hit high when you do find them. I paid $50 a box for few boxes of .277 150BT’s I found in a LGS a few weeks back 😳

Agree. I've pretty much used a majority of Nosler bullets most of my reloading career, but that might have to change. Nothing available and really expensive, when it is.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
+2 or 3 on Nosler stuff being pricey. Occasionally SPS has something I am interested in for a reasonable price. But not often, anymore. The good news is that the current larder should last me until my days are over.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Bought a keg of RL16 a few months ago, and a keg of AR-Comp earlier in 2022. Picked up a Ruger SFAR in November and I can get several types of Nosler blems right now. Winchester seems to be available, but they don't seem to be making much effort to keep up with the market so...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Idk what Nosler’s deal is. Maybe they are more focused on their new rifles than anything else. Their components have been hard to find since before the plandemic and are practically extinct. And the prices are usually holy $hit high when you do find them. I paid $50 a box for few boxes of .277 150BT’s I found in a LGS a few weeks back 😳

I was in the local Cabela's yesterday checking what was in stock. All bullet prices were high but I was taken aback when I saw a 50 count box of 7mm 160 grain Partitions was priced at $71.99.

That's insane.

“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
― Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Azar

I was in the local Cabela's yesterday checking what was in stock. All bullet prices were high but I was taken aback when I saw a 50 count box of 7mm 160 grain Partitions was priced at $71.99.

That's insane.

Absolutely insane! But ever since the buyout both of their prices (Cabela's/BPS) have been outrageous. I guess more so now than ever.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I’m seeing more and more of everything…powder, primers, ammo, etc. I’ve been seeing more Hornady stuff than anything else throughout this latest shortage.

It’s not flooding every shelf in every store but it’s definitely easing up. I know it’s too much to hope for but maybe guys should put up a reasonable amount of shooting necessaries instead of consistently finding themselves scrounging for crumbs while bitching about price.
The real kick in the teeth will come when states try to outlaw lead ammo for big game hunting. Demand and prices will go insane. (I'd imagine tons of folks will just keep using lead because wardens can't check everyone, but enough casual hunters will comply to drive prices way up and production of the old stuff will tank.)

There’s a whole lot of truth to what you’re saying. I’ve been expecting it for awhile and have been switching to monos for “everything”. I have been 100% satisfied with monos since I first tried the original X. I didn’t have fouling problems in my 338wm but back then (30yrs ago) I was fastidious in cleaning it since it was my “only” hunting rifle at the time. I still have a lot of loaded cup and core and a few thousand C&C bullets but new stuff is usually monos.

If and when they do something stupid like mandate monos I’ll be well ahead of the curve which historically for me means I still ain’t very far ahead. 😂

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by grumpy7904
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Ruger is cranking out junk guns just as fast as they possibly can.

+1

+2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Our local Fleet and Farm got in 3 Ruger Predators. A .223, 6.5 and a 22-250. I bought the 22-250. They have some more Americans but no 77's.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (10ring1, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 58 invisible), 2,585 guests, and 1,248 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,576
Posts18,492,035
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.