Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Does anyone have experience, or know anything about KMG Hunting Safaris and/or PH Marius Goosen, near Grahamstown, East Cape? I find no reviews and he is not a member of the PHASA. I asked for references and haven't gotten but one from 4 years ago.

Any info, tid bits, or whatever, would be sincerely appreciated!

Scott

GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Scott, never heard of them. They may be a great/new outfit. However, I'd make a suggestion. If they aren't a member of PHASA, and this is your 1st trip to Africa, I'd keep looking. There are a lot of reputable outfitter, in RSA. Ask them for some references, and check each of them out!!!

Here is who we hunted with in 2008, and they are great.

www.cruisersafaris.com/

maddog

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
what maddog said......

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks fellas! I wanted to clarify that I asked him for references and the only one he has provided so far is a guy from a hunt 4 yrs ago. I am not about to commit to anything anytine soon. smile

Scott

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
These guys are good enough for me to hunt with 7 times:

http://www.johnxsafaris.com/

Also contact Campfires own JJHack

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
+ 1 on Jim Hackewicz. I will book a hunt with him as soon as I have the money to do so (post huge alimony payments)

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
as I am someone in the industry, a single reference from four years ago spells major issues. mewmbership in PHASA is a lot like membership in SCI-- some swear by it, some swear at it.

However, if the folks can't give you references from the last two years thgat , to me, would be an indicator of trouble, or at least potential trouble, Those folks may be salt of the earth, but of they only have one reference for you, the hunting is more than likely a sidelight, not a profession.,

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by ScottSpencer
Thanks fellas! I wanted to clarify that I asked him for references and the only one he has provided so far is a guy from a hunt 4 yrs ago. I am not about to commit to anything anytine soon. smile

Scott

Scott, if that is all he can come up with for a new potential client.....run, don't walk, and get very far away. Trust me on this one.

maddog

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hi Guys,
I hope I am allowed to defend myself. I have been viewing these threads and thought I would leave it at first, but changed my mind. To answer all your questions. With regards to the references , I actaully have a couple available. I got Scott's email on my way to the airport to Cape Town and had a reference's details on hand so just gave him the info as I left. KMG Hunting Safaris has been up and running for about a year now since I split from another outfitter due to ethical issues. So yes my outfit is still young, but my experience not.I use exactly the same concessions as before , but simply under my own name.
As DanD mentioned, thats exactly the reason I am not a member of PHASA. Without bad mouthing them, there is no advantage whatsoever in paying them a huge amount of money, just to hide behind their logo. PHASA is not compulsury and far too many chancers out there, use them as a shield to hide behind simply to increase their business.
I DONT have to join PHASA to come across as ethical. Ethics is one of the corner stone's that KMG is built on, not for a marketing tool, but because that is what I apply and that is what I believe in. Maybe in the future , I will join them, but I have no doubt that my honesty and passion for this wonderful God-given blessing in hunting will persevere.
So please post your questions , then I can answer them accordingly.( Before you run, (not walk) away...)

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
Professional Hunter and Outfitter
South Africa, Namibia, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia
http://www.huntsafaris.co.za
[email protected]
Z
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Z
Marius,

You sound like a good lad and look forward to a report on your operation. I know you have posted details of your website but maybe best to tell the members a little about you and your outfit?

Note there are many PH's in Zambia that are not members of our association but it does carry some credibility and my advise is to join PHASA for what it is worth.

Cheers

Andrew

IC B3

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
All -

I would like to add that I have been communicating with Marius a great deal the last couple weeks since posting my query and feel very comfortable with him and KMG Safaris. I'm looking forward to hunting with him next year and hopefully I will return with a glowing report!

Scott

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Scott, thats great! Need lotsa pics, with the report...wink

maddog

I totally agree with Marius and Andrew regarding memberships. I am a member with PHASA and SCI. It sure does not make me a more ethical hunter, no, I love the Lord and his creation for that reason I hunt ethical and respect nature.

There is a lot of very good outfits and PH's out there that are more ethical than some members. I have to say though that PHASA was the very first guys that ended Dawie Groenewalds membership regarding unethical hunting in early 2000.

I am a new member to this forum, I am member to few other forums, I never seen so many dirty laundry been washed on a hunting forum. We all believe in the same things, to enjoy God's creation and to manage it. Lets keep it that way.

Hunting is my passion! It is my way of living! Hunting feeds my family, pay school fees and let me live my dream. So "LIVE YOUR DREAM" and hunt Africa!

"Live Your Dream"
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by maddog
Originally Posted by ScottSpencer

Scott

Scott, if that is all he can come up with for a new potential client.....run, don't walk, and get very far away. Trust me on this one.

maddog

I know this is a old thread, but I just noticed it. In case somebody looks at it, I can verify that Marius of KMG is one of the most respected operators in the East Cape, if not all of RSA.

I have hunted with him twice, taking 10 animals including Cape Buffalo and can tell you he is not only great at his job but is a man of the utmost integrity both hunting wise and business wise.

I will be taking a group of 3-4 hunters back with KMG in July of 2024 for my third trip with him. I would not bring my friends all the way to RSA to hunt with him if I did not have 100% faith in Marius.

As far as as membership in organizations...I am a licensed charter captain in Michigan and I never chose to join the Michigan Charter Boat Association because I got nothing from it except the opportunity to forfeit some of my money and the right to say I am a member. So I get why people don't join associations. That said, Marius is a respected member of DSC and SCI, which to me is way more important.

During COVID, Marius had several hunts cancelled. One I know of was for elephant. When the COVID restrictions were lifted, the elephant prermits were still cancelled where he was contracted to hunt with a hunter. The only way he could complete his contracted hunt was to move the hunt to Zimbabwe, where the permit cost him $Thousands more than it was going to cost him when the contract was made and where the fees to use the hunting camp were significantly higher than where he would have hunted originally. Marius ate the additional costs and conducted the hunt for the fee's he had contracted even though he lost money on the hunt. That should tell you all you need to know about Marius at KMG.

I highly recommend that anybody looking to hunt in RSA consider KMG seriously. You would not be disappointed.

I have no business relationship with KMG other than that of a highly satisfied, repeat customer of KMG and I am happy to take PMs from anybody and/or talk on the phone about my hunts with Marius.

Last edited by Termin8r; 02/20/23.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I hunted with Marius a few years ago and cannot recommend him highly enough, First class operation and a real hunter!!!

Check out Africa hunting.com

Please feel free to use me as a reference.

Last edited by Hancock27; 02/19/23.

And these zombies line up and eat from the media’s trough

Cowards CANNOT be free. Nor should they be.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Unless I'm mistaken I often see Marius post on Accurate Reloading Forums. Can't say I've seen anything negative about his operations.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Marius seems like a nice guy. You don't hear anything bad about him. I've messaged with him a couple of times.

Now this is going to anger some people. Marius does not own a lodge. He owns no property. Therefore, he has little overhead compared to an outfitter who owns property and game.

KMG contracts a lodge in the area they will be hunting in. They lease property to hunt and buy the game animals. This allows them to make a profit while undercutting outfitters who must maintain their property and manage their game.

Like a locust, these outfits move into an area, denude the leased properties of mature animals over 1-3 years and then move on to the next property.

Its a business model I cannot support. Its not as bad as places like HuntersHill which is a put and take hunting operation, but KMG has no skin in the game. JMHO

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by AB2506
Marius seems like a nice guy. You don't hear anything bad about him. I've messaged with him a couple of times.

Now this is going to anger some people. Marius does not own a lodge. He owns no property. Therefore, he has little overhead compared to an outfitter who owns property and game.

KMG contracts a lodge in the area they will be hunting in. They lease property to hunt and buy the game animals. This allows them to make a profit while undercutting outfitters who must maintain their property and manage their game.

Like a locust, these outfits move into an area, denude the leased properties of mature animals over 1-3 years and then move on to the next property.

Its a business model I cannot support. Its not as bad as places like HuntersHill which is a put and take hunting operation, but KMG has no skin in the game. JMHO

Sounds like overhead to me? No other PH leases land? If he is raping the land, why are landowners leasing to him?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Thank you for your comments, but you could not be more wrong sir.

Over the 13 years as an outfitter, I've only ever operated from two areas. First, I was in Grahamstown, Eastern Cape. I operated out of there from 2010 until mid 2019. I was also a 50% owner there with a beautiful lodge built on the property. Around 2018, I sold my 50% share. I still use this lodge, especially for Tiny 10 since there are species that occur in this area not found from our base camp.

I felt that I wanted to move away from the "Commercial" model that South Africa is known for, and be able to offer hunters more wild experience and a chance to hunt free range areas in South Africa. I've been in this area since 2019.

Are you not perhaps thinking of someone else?

Last edited by KMGHuntingSafaris; 02/22/23.

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
Professional Hunter and Outfitter
South Africa, Namibia, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia
http://www.huntsafaris.co.za
[email protected]
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T

While your description of his operational model is accurate (Leases property and uses lodge open to the public), your description of how the relationship between landowners and PH's works and the ethics of this PH specifically is completely off base and for the most part nonsensical.

Any landowner with a brain will limit the harvest of animals on his property, because if they did not they would soon be unable to lease their property. They are not stupid. I know for a FACT that Marius specifically works with the landowners to set harvest quotas that allow for the take of some of each species per property but only enough to allow the animals to maintain high numbers of animals and to maintain good trophy quality.

A land owner would have to be a moron to allow what you described (over harvest of animals) because they would soon be out of business and a PH that did not maintain a good population of quality animals on the land he leases would have a lot of unhappy hunters...which is most certainly not the case with KMG.

Marius is filled every year with repeat customers, like me. I am going back for my 3rd hunt wiht KMG in 2024. Repeat hunters like me are the norm not the exception.

I found your comments humorous and obviously not coming from real knowledge of the situation.

Last edited by Termin8r; 02/22/23.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (24HourCampFireGuy50, 1936M71, 160user, 1minute, 222Sako, 1Longbow, 62 invisible), 2,432 guests, and 1,446 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,170
Posts18,484,590
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.