Print Thread
Hop To
S
Sako76 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
I'm heading to Aruba at the end of April and want to do some snorkeling, can you guys who have done it recommend a mask. Thanks.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Given you're doing pretty fishes snorkeling - one that fits is likely all you need. I tend to like masks with low volume for easy purge. Been years since I dove but generally really loved my Hollis mask back then.

Hollis M1

Me

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
SCUBA here. Go to a reputable dive shop and try several on. There is no other way. They have to fit your face and create an air/water tight seal. Everyone's face is different. A smooth shave is necessary if you want a really good seal. The people at the shop will show you how to test if it fits. You'll spend about $100+ for a good mask and cheap snorkel.

Last edited by Mountain10mm; 02/22/23.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Mountain10mm
SCUBA here. Go to a reputable dive shop and try several on. There is no other way. They have to fit your face and create an air/water tight seal. Everyone's face is different. A smooth shave is necessary if you want a really good seal. The people at the shop will show you have to test if it fits. You'll spend about $100+ for a good mask and cheap snorkel.

Especially this - snorkel is just a straw. A hollow tube. Don't spend big money there.

Me

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
SCUBA here. Go to a reputable dive shop and try several on. There is no other way. They have to fit your face and create an air/water tight seal. Everyone's face is different. A smooth shave is necessary if you want a really good seal. The people at the shop will show you have to test if it fits. You'll spend about $100+ for a good mask and cheap snorkel.

this. spend extra money on a decent set of fins too

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
I bought mask, fins, snorkel sets for me and the kids when we went to GBI 2017.

I did not want to use the equipment that the snorkel charters had as some of the fins had broken spines, and god knows what on masks, snorkels.

I bought middle priced equipment, worked fine. Sea turtles are pretty fast, couldn't keep up, lol.

https://www.onlinescuba.com/Default.aspx

GOA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I buy my spearfishing gear here https://makospearguns.com/spearfishing-gear/masks-snorkels/

Like others have said, trying on local to make sure it fits your face and seal well is a great idea.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
SCUBA here. Go to a reputable dive shop and try several on. There is no other way. They have to fit your face and create an air/water tight seal. Everyone's face is different. A smooth shave is necessary if you want a really good seal. The people at the shop will show you how to test if it fits. You'll spend about $100+ for a good mask and cheap snorkel.

Completely agree,
Mask you have to try on, so either order several online or go to a shop and try them.
Fins won't make a big difference for leisurely dives. Most snorkels come with a good purge valve now, vs the old J tubes

I'd rather have a good fitting mask and ok snorkel/fins than the other way around, otherwise you will be fidgeting with leaking/pressure points, etc

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R

I also agree with above. FWIW, I wear glasses, and my local dive shop was even able to replace the lenses in my mask with something close to my prescription. Price was reasonable at the time (IIRC, 10 yrs ago). Still using that mask.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
When trying the mask, put it on your face and inhale through your nose. That will tell you if it will seal.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
As already mentioned from other divers I’d go get fitted at a SCUBA shop. Good mask and good fins are important. You’ll likely be over $100 for a good mask but you can add a prescription lens (+$) for better viewing if you wear glasses.

If you ever have trouble equalizing (blowing through your pinched nose) you might pay attention to the various masks and the accommodations for equalizing.

One of the newer styles of masks that I’m seeing used frequently in the tropics are an all-in-one mask with snorkel. They’re much bigger than the typical scuba mask but I’ve heard that newbies like them, I have no experience with them and prefer to use one of my diving masks.

Another consideration for snorkelers is wearing a thin suit to protect from jellyfish, coral and sunburn. It’ll also offer a little more warmth in case you tend to get cold easy.

Have fun and enjoy the injection of vitamin D. 👍🏼

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Another go try in person. Also I don’t like side glass. It makes it hard to see under rocks into holes. A thin wetsuit and gloves will make it more enjoyable. Protection from fire coral , light scrapes , and jellyfish. It also will keep you from burning your complete backside. Burn the back of your knees and walking will be Hades ! Weight belt ! Just enough weight you barely float. Trying to dive down even a couple feet without a weight belt will wear you out quick and reduce your bottom time to nothing. Cheap fins and snorkel will do fine.

‘TO LEARN WHO RULES OVER YOU, SIMPLY FIND OUT WHO YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO CRITICIZE’

Conspiracy theorists are the ones who see it all coming…

You are the carbon they want to eliminate !

I’m Uber Deplorable Ultra MAGA !
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant

This

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Teal

Especially this - snorkel is just a straw. A hollow tube. Don't spend big money there.

I disagree. I had a basic snorkel on our last trip to Belize. When I overexerted and was really sucking air, I realized the mouthpiece didn't really fit all that well. Imagine being out of breath. Sucking air. Still exerting and not being able to stop and rest. And every other deep sucking breath you got a throat-full of saltwater. That sucked. No pun intended.

Montana MOFO
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
As already mentioned from other divers I’d go get fitted at a SCUBA shop. Good mask and good fins are important. You’ll likely be over $100 for a good mask but you can add a prescription lens (+$) for better viewing if you wear glasses.

If you ever have trouble equalizing (blowing through your pinched nose) you might pay attention to the various masks and the accommodations for equalizing.

One of the newer styles of masks that I’m seeing used frequently in the tropics are an all-in-one mask with snorkel. They’re much bigger than the typical scuba mask but I’ve heard that newbies like them, I have no experience with them and prefer to use one of my diving masks.

Another consideration for snorkelers is wearing a thin suit to protect from jellyfish, coral and sunburn. It’ll also offer a little more warmth in case you tend to get cold easy.

Have fun and enjoy the injection of vitamin D. 👍🏼

Gal had one of those large all-in-one masks on one of our boats. Guide told her she wouldn't be able to submerge with it. I don't know that. Never had one. Just heard him talking to this lady on the boat.

Montana MOFO
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
None will work with facial hair

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You are going to Aruba. Buying good equipment will be a drop in the bucket of the overall expense. Treat yourself to some good stuff. Doesn't have to be top quality, but don't cheap out.

Some people like full face masks. They have advantages and disadvantages. Do some homework on them. I don't do deep long dives when I snorkel. I spend most of my time on the surface over shallow reefs. I have found that a low volume full face mask works well for me. Low volume is important, especially if you are a shallow breather, because there can be issues with not getting good clean air if you aren't exchanging most of the volume of the mask with each breath. They can also be a pita to remove in a hurry if you aren't experienced with them. Diving purist generally loathe full face masks, but they have gained popularity for casual snorkelers for a reason.

I like a good snorkel when using one that goes in the mouth as opposed to the integrated one in a full face mask. I have developed sores on trips where I have done a lot of snorkeling when I used a cheap snorkel.

A mask that fogs regularly really takes away from the enjoyment. There is no magic formula for what prevents fog. What works for one person may not work for someone else. Maybe one of our serious divers can steer you in the right direction.

The Antilla can be pretty cool to snorkel for those that like to dive deep. It's a pretty good swim from the beach though and the locals don't recommend it. The current and wind will be hard on you on the way back in. I did it and wouldn't do it again.

Aruba is gorgeous. I can spend all day in the water there. Sometimes the coolest things are in unexpected locations. Get an underwater camera.

Last edited by PaulBarnard; 02/22/23.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Fog - I clean the lense with toothpaste before trip. Then use a commercial drops/spray. Dive shop will have it. Look for something reef friendly.

Works for me.

Me

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Teal
Fog - I clean the lense with toothpaste before trip. Then use a commercial drops/spray. Dive shop will have it. Look for something reef friendly.

Works for me.

For fog, just a little dish soap resolves the fogging quite well. In a pinch, spit works but for not as long and not as well. There is commercial anti-fog. But dish soap is by far the best.

Montana MOFO
S
Sako76 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Thanks guys, I appreciate all the helpful info.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

503 members (17CalFan, 257_X_50, 1_deuce, 16gage, 160user, 10gaugemag, 61 invisible), 2,793 guests, and 1,438 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,753
Posts18,476,292
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.