Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by paul105
Originally Posted by Old Ornery
Originally Posted by DaveinWV
The only cartridge I would get in a SA is the 41 mag. My son had one and it had plenty of power but wasn't abusive. I have several 357 mag DA revolvers.

Who makes a SA 41 mag? I’d love one of those.

Here you go.

https://www.rugerforum.com/threads/fs-ruger-blackhawk-om-41-mag-3-screw-shorty.305681/

Nice, but unless it’s on the CA roster, or the seller isn’t in CA, it’s a no go for me.

I’ll just have to make do with mt 686.

Last edited by Old Ornery; 02/23/23.
GB1

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
You didn't list the 44 mag. If you did, I'd pick it. Are you looking at a FA97 (which isn't offered in 44 mag)?

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by pacecars
.500 Linebaugh. Why? Why not? I can load it down to plink or go max and take anything on earth plus I just love my John Linebaugh gun
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I had one for while and sent it down the road a handful of years ago.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by paul105
Originally Posted by DaveinWV
The only cartridge I would get in a SA is the 41 mag. My son had one and it had plenty of power but wasn't abusive. I have several 357 mag DA revolvers.

Who makes a SA 41 mag? I’d love one of those.

Here you go.

https://www.rugerforum.com/threads/fs-ruger-blackhawk-om-41-mag-3-screw-shorty.305681/

Nice, but unless it’s on the CA roster, or the seller isn’t in CA, it’s a no go for me.

I’ll just have to make do with mt 686.

Single actions are exempt from the CA roster, at least they used to be. Pretty sure they still are.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
45 Colt fits my needs best but I sure like my Bisley 32H&R for varmints and practice.

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by pacecars
.500 Linebaugh. Why? Why not? I can load it down to plink or go max and take anything on earth plus I just love my John Linebaugh gun
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I had one for while and sent it down the road a handful of years ago.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Beautiful!

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Not into SA revolvers

Iffin I were.......I'd go 45 Colt

Have plenty of components that I keep my 45 Marlin lever guns fed

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I haven’t read through the replies but I’d go 45 Colt. I love shooting moderately hot 44 Special rounds but the 45 Colt would be more versatile from mild to hot with lower pressure.

I’m not a big 357 Mag fan. I see it as a great self defense cartridge but I don’t carry a revolver for self defense. Full house 357 mag ammo isn’t all that much fun to shoot IMO. For everything but self defense a moderate to slightly hot 44 Special or 45 Colt is a lot more fun to shoot than a max load 357 Mag and more versatile. Mine are mostly for flinging heavy medium velocity chunks of lead down range at steel plates. I love to put the smack down on them without a ton of muzzle blast or recoil.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by colodog
45 Colt fits my needs best but I sure like my Bisley 32H&R for varmints and practice.
My Ruger Bisley chambered in 45 Colt is one of my favorite guns to shoot. I’d like to have one in 32 H&R but it doesn’t really fit a niche for me. I read somewhere, I think it was a Ross Seyfried article that the 32 H&R was perfect for turkeys with a revolver but MI is a shotgun only state for turkey and I’m not a varmint hunter, it’d probably be just right for woodchucks too.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by barm
Originally Posted by mjac
Your intended use?
Defend the cartridge of your choice. This is an exercise in selling your favorite.
Yawn

Sam......

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Originally Posted by barm
Originally Posted by mjac
Your intended use?
Defend the cartridge of your choice. This is an exercise in selling your favorite.
Yawn

Exactly. Everyone has different needs and/or different size critters to kill at different ranges.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Ok, here is what I'm Packing,,,, here in Alaska..... cry 2021 and beyond....

Ok, I thought I'd do a Re-Write on the work I did on this piece, starting back in 2010 +/-.....
Original RUGER SBH Hunter .44Mag 7.5" Bbl, Cut and Re-Crowned to 6" with added Original Front-Sight Cut-In....
Sent Gun off to Mag-na-Port for a 2-Port Job, Very Nice for those Follow-up Shots when needed....
Added the Rear-Ghost-Ring Sight, with the 9/32" Aperture, again VERY Quick sight picture....
Cut & Lapped Forcing Cone to 11deg. Reamed all Cyl. Throats out to .431thou. Kissed the Forcing-Cone Face a-Bit, to a Cyl/FC Clearance @.006thou.....
Complete Trigger and Springs work-over with a WOLF Custom Kit,,,,, Smooth/Slick Trigger Pull @ 3lbs....
Added a Belt-Mtn. Keith Style #5 Base Pin w/ allen-set screw lock.....
Also Added a SS-Lanyard Connection, and the New Gunfighter Grips.....
Had David Johnson of Diamond-D-Custom Leather Works build me a Guides-Choice Holster Rig....

And I almost forgot, I SOLD my FA M83 .44Mag, now that this Piece is Completed,,,,,,, and now I've got 6-Boolits...... cry
Lj in Alaska... cool

Attached Images
Last edited by AK375DGR; 03/03/23. Reason: added info.....

-[USMC 1st Mar/Div 7th Engineers, VietNam 69-71, Semper-Fi]-
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Another vote for the .45 Colt. About as American as one can get and can be loaded up or down for big or small critters.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by AK375DGR

Ok, I thought I'd do a Re-Write on the work I did on this piece, starting back in 2010 +/-.....
Original RUGER SBH Hunter .44Mag 7.5" Bbl, Cut and Re-Crowned to 6" with added Original Front-Sight Cut-In....
Sent Gun off to Mag-na-Port for a 2-Port Job, Very Nice for those Follow-up Shots when needed....
Added the Rear-Ghost-Ring Sight, with the 9/32" Aperture, again VERY Quick sight picture....
Cut & Lapped Forcing Cone to 11deg. Reamed all Cyl. Throats out to .431thou. Kissed the Forcing-Cone Face a-Bit, to a Cyl/FC Clearance @.006thou.....
Complete Trigger and Springs work-over with a WOLF Custom Kit,,,,, Smooth/Slick Trigger Pull @ 3lbs....
Had David Johnson of Diamond-D-Custom Leather Works build me a Guides-Choice Holster Rig....

And I almost forgot, I SOLD my FA M83 .44Mag, now that this Piece is Completed,,,,,,, and now I've got 6-Boolits...... cry
Lj in Alaska... cool
Great looking gun, but WHY would you open up the barrel/cylinder gap ON PURPOSE?

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
.44 Special in the Ruger Flattop. Accurate, big bullets and you can load them near magnum velocity. The .44 cylinder walls are thicker than most .45 cylinder walls and will stand more pressure. In the second generation Blackhawks i'd take the .45 Colt but I prefer the smaller frame of the Flattop.

Grumpy old man with a gun.....Do not touch .
Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
Don't bother my monument and I'll leave yours alone.
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by Willicd76

Lj in Alaska... cool
Great looking gun, but WHY would you open up the barrel/cylinder gap ON PURPOSE?

Ok, I hope you can read this attachment, it will answer your Question....
Lj cool

Attached Images
LJ's S&W 329PD WorkOver Spec's.jpg (48.1 KB, 175 downloads)

Campfire Member
Campfire Member

Lj in Alaska... cool

Lj cool

Interesting that Kimber doesn't follow this advice on their K6 line. I have one as my CCW and it's smooth but, almost no daylight between barrel extension and cylinder. There have been some reports of cylinder lock from excess powder.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by wreckster84

Lj in Alaska... cool

Lj cool

Interesting that Kimber doesn't follow this advice on their K6 line. I have one as my CCW and it's smooth but, almost no daylight between barrel extension and cylinder. There have been some reports of cylinder lock from excess powder.

Ok, it sounds like you need to have your Cyl to Forcing Cone Dimension Checked, and I would also want to Check, all 6-Cylinder Bore Dimensions as well..... they will probably need reaming and honing accordingly.....
If you go to Brownells Web-Site, look for Revolver Chamfering Tool-Kit #076-200-152 Circa... 2005, you will find a Detailed Write-up, done by Ron Power, that will enlighten you as to what's going on, and how to fix-it.... cry
And your Barrel-Extension is called the "Forcing-Cone"
Lj in Alaska..... cool

Last edited by AK375DGR; 03/07/23. Reason: added info.....

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I own exactly one single action revolve. I went with a Cimmaron .357 Evil Roy 4.75" barrel, I was wanting to buy myself a Christmas present and it just felt so damn good in my hands. I really enjoy shooting .38 SWC reloads through it, so much fun as a plinking pistol.

I have zero uses for it, but I REALLY want a .45LC single action but only with an octagon barrel. I just love the look of one...

The RUGER SBH Hunter .44Mag 7.5" Bbl pictured above is really nice! I could see owning something like that just because.

Welcome to TN - patron state of shootin’ stuff
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I'd love to have that .32 HR Single Six back as a general around the farm, small game and woods stomping gun.
Huge sellers regret on that one.

Save our kids - shoot your local drug dealer.
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

72 members (808outdoors, 2500HD, 7mm_Loco, 257robertsimp, BALLISTIK, 10 invisible), 1,380 guests, and 789 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,502
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.