Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Originally Posted by smokepole
Seen it, heck birdwatcher lives there....

...and you couldn't ask for a better guide/historian.

Never try to teach a pig to sing...
...it wastes your time and annoys the pig!
GB1

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I was there in 1962 while in Air Force basic. It was pretty much in rumbles back then !

"not too grumpy"
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
The reverence hits you deep.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It WAS bigger.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
In 1836, there was a palisade/fortification
that made the area larger than just the Alamo
chapel itself, and other structures too

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Borned and jerked up in Texas!
Didn't visit the Alamo until I was 40! 🤯
....and I had been to San Antonio many, many times!
I've been to the State Capital in Austin.
I've been to the Houston, Fort Worth, Dallas, Waco and San Antonio zoo's. All very nice!
I've even visited the Texas Ranger Hall of Fame and Museum in Waco on numerous occasions! THAT was a sight to see!

Since the Castro twins came to power, San 'tone has turned into just another liberal s#¡thole!

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
We just surveyed the lots off the corner of Main and Ferry street to the approx location of President Houstons Law Office. Just down main street from the Independence Hall. Kinda cool.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
On February 24, 1836, with the garrison surrounded and the Texan Army at the Alamo outnumbered, one of the most famous letters in American history was written by William B. Travis. It was addressed, “To the People of Texas and All Americans in the World.” This letter was a passionate plea for aid for the Alamo garrison. He ended the letter “Victory or Death” – the only outcome this battle could have.

Commandancy of the The Alamo

Bejar, Feby. 24th. 1836

To the People of Texas & All Americans in the World-

Fellow Citizens & compatriots-

I am besieged, by a thousand or more of the Mexicans under Santa Anna - I have sustained a continual Bombardment & cannonade for 24 hours & have not lost a man - The enemy has demanded a surrender at discretion, otherwise, the garrison are to be put to the sword, if the fort is taken - I have answered the demand with a cannon shot, & our flag still waves proudly from the walls - I shall never surrender or retreat. Then, I call on you in the name of Liberty, of patriotism & everything dear to the American character, to come to our aid, with all dispatch - The enemy is receiving reinforcements daily & will no doubt increase to three or four thousand in four or five days. If this call is neglected, I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country - Victory or Death.

William Barret Travis.

Lt. Col.comdt.

P. S. The Lord is on our side - When the enemy appeared in sight we had not three bushels of corn - We have since found in deserted houses 80 or 90 bushels and got into the walls 20 or 30 head of Beeves.

Travis

https://www.thealamo.org/remember/battle-and-revolution/travis-letter

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I haven’t had the opportunity to see it, yet.
But youns that know me know that Bowie, Travis, Crockett, and the others are greatly admired by me.
There’s something about this story of heroism and sacrifice in the name of liberty that I know has taught me that there are some things much more important than life itself.
Remember The Alamo!
7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
"That men where every they go, will remember the Alamo."

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Before you visit (which is absolutely worth it), do two things: prepare yourself for the crush of tourists who move in slow motion for no apparent reason (the Alamo is just one of those places) and, more importantly, read Jim Crisp's Sleuthing the Alamo. He's the first historian to definitely figure out how the story ended for Crockett (i.e., that he gets hacked to death after the battle had ended while a POW). It doesn't devalue what Crockett did (though Texans went bananas and several sued Crisp when the book first came out) and really puts the fighting in better context.

DMc Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
One day soon.... A few Americans are going to be called upon to dispatch tyranny once again.

God Bless and God speed!

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
yes i have been to the Alamo was sad to see how these soldiers died in this small fort , but they were all hero`s . these soldiers of the past and many other soldiers who have died been crippled ,shot or seen the terror of wars. these soldiers would all hate what is going on today at the Whitehouse right now with the head clowns Biden / Harris and these dishonest liberals . we need the ghosts of these soldiers to clean house in Washington D.C. soon !

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Currently at Washington On The Brazos State Historical site. Independence declared here March 2, 1836. Repro of Independence hall behind me. We are doingland surveying demos

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

That’s another cool TX Historical Site that doesn’t get anywhere near the annual visitors as the Alamo.
I haven’t been there since I was attending TAMU in nearby College Station. Still looks pretty much the same from your photo. Have they added a museum or anything else to the Site ?

And of course, I’ve been to the Alamo many times.
One of my ancestors was there on March 1st, 1836 when it fell.

Last edited by chlinstructor; 02/26/23.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Currently at Washington On The Brazos State Historical site. Independence declared here March 2, 1836. Repro of Independence hall behind me. We are doingland surveying demos

That’s another cool TX Historical Site that doesn’t get anywhere near the annual visitors as the Alamo.
I haven’t been there since I was attending TAMU in nearby College Station. Still looks pretty much the same from your photo. Have they added a museum or anything else to the Site ?

Nice museum and visitors center here now. About to dump a bunch more money into the place.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

Nice museum and visitors center here now. About to dump a bunch more money into the place.

Good Deal !!!

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wife and I felt the same visiting the Alamo and Pearl Harbor. People spoke in whispers. We felt a great reverence for the Hero’s who died protecting our freedom. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Anyone been to the Almo? I'd like to see it.

Visited last fall

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Been there twice. The chapel is a chilling spot to stand quietly in. Was there once for the morning re-enactment — very cool. Tons of history and emotion on both sides.

Hugh
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I was there just yesterday, my most-often Saturday afternoon destination, dressed all 1835.

IIRC Santa Anna brung 1,500 men with him, another 1,000 arrived a week later, giving him about 2,500 men on the scene. He committed 1,500 of these to the attack, most likely figuring it was gonna be a walkover, it wasn’t.

We still don’t know exactly how many defenders there were, somewhere between two and three hundred. The walls of the three acre Alamo Compound were just seven to twelve feet high. If you were one of the defenders you would be standing on a flat roof or platform shooting at an overwhelming crowd of attackers so close that, had you been so inclined, you coulda reached down and given ‘em a hand getting up.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

172 members (2ndwind, 300_savage, 30Gibbs, 264mag, 26 invisible), 1,733 guests, and 1,070 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,756
Posts18,476,368
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.