Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
They have been slowly drawing closer, I’m wondering how close they’ll get before Venus inevitably starts to dive back down into the sunset. In about three weeks the waxing crescent moon oughta pass right by them again.

What’s happening is the evening sky is looking behind us. Venus is coming up on the inside track and will dive back into the sun as it passes us on the inside.

Jupiter is being left behind and will disappear behind the sun as we go around it.

So from our perspective how close in the evening sky will the two planets get? I dunno, just waiting to see.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
New_2_99s, Paul posted an incredible picture of Jupiter, Venus and Crescent Moon in the Canadian night sky couple days back.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Took this last Friday. That’s actually a crescent in a fone pic, with chupiter and Venus.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Not on the KP. hint…

Last edited by ironbender; 02/27/23. Reason: Added pic

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
I call it “Chupiter” in honor of my Eastern European astronomy prof. 🧐

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ironbender
I call it “Chupiter” in honor of my Eastern European astronomy prof. 🧐

I was calling one “Weenus” in honor of a Sikh honor student we had, turns out in Bengali there ain’t any “V”s grin

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
They were lined up pretty good here the other day . Cell phone didn't get a good pic though.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Uranus is always showing

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by slumlord
Uranus is always showing

Right.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There was a good view on the 24th of February.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've been watching them........or at least when I can actually see the fahqin' sky in this perpetually overcast blowhole.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
IC B3

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
They have been slowly drawing closer, I’m wondering how close they’ll get before Venus inevitably starts to dive back down into the sunset. In about three weeks the waxing crescent moon oughta pass right by them again.

What’s happening is the evening sky is looking behind us. Venus is coming up on the inside track and will dive back into the sun as it passes us on the inside.

Jupiter is being left behind and will disappear behind the sun as we go around it.

So from our perspective how close in the evening sky will the two planets get? I dunno, just waiting to see.
I notice two extremely bright stars under the moon when the moon is in the setting quadrant of the sky (west). Are those them?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My wife and I had a meeting in Eagle River tonight and I spotted them on the way home. Wife said,"I think those are balloons". I explained what they were and she said, "I think you're right". Wow, I very rarely hear her say that!!!! grin

Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
I notice two extremely bright stars under the moon when the moon is in the setting quadrant of the sky (west). Are those them?

Yep. The moon is gonna keep tracking across the night sky towards the east as it always does. In about three weeks as it goes around the earth it’s gonna appear again in the sunset sky below those two and climb close by them again.

I’ve never kept track of how long it takes before, but Venus is gonna pass earth on the inside and then appear again ahead of us on the morning side of the sun, where it will be equally bright. Gonna try and watch for this.

28th November 1868, Venus was bright in the predawn sky when Custer attacked the Cheyenne camp on the Washita River, hence his moniker “Son of the Morning Star” wherever that came from.

I’m pretty sure there’s other battle references to Venus in the morning too at other times and places but that’s the one I recall.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Been noticing those two lately, but had no idea they were planets. Makes sense with how bright they are.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Holy Smoke, the clouds just cleared a bit.

Jupiter and Venus are almost side by side, a whole jump from just yesterday. Venus will likely be clearly above by this time tomorrow.

This is the closest they’re likely to get from our perspective.

Go out and look if ya want before they set.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Nice view here.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Me and kids got outta the truck tonight I looked up and ask the kids what that was I didn’t remember ever seeing them in the sky… kids said stars I was like ok and walked on them read something later and saw it’s the planets. Kinda cool

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Yes, very nice.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Holy Smoke, the clouds just cleared a bit.

Jupiter and Venus are almost side by side, a whole jump from just yesterday. Venus will likely be clearly above by this time tomorrow.

This is the closest they’re likely to get from our perspective.

Go out and look if ya want before they set.
Yep. I noticed that on my evening walk tonight. A few days ago, they formed a vertical line, and now they are almost even with each other.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
A little while ago.

A bit before that.

Last edited by ironbender; 03/01/23. Reason: Pic #2

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

525 members (222Sako, 270cowboy, 219 Wasp, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 257 mag, 65 invisible), 3,230 guests, and 1,269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,732
Posts18,535,140
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.