Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Sharpsman
I feel fully justified in thinking that there was also in play over the years an ethnic portion of the San Antonio population that did all they could do to desecrate the memory of those Americans that died at The Siege of the Alamo!!

Hard to believe but exactly what happened at the Alamo wasn’t worked out until 1874 (??) when the State convened a commission for the purpose. By that time commercial and residential development had already impinged on the original mission footprint. Widespread ignorance prevailed, as late as 1903 when one Adina de Zavala locked herself inside the Long Barracks for three days to prevent their demolition, the resulting publicity prompting the Governor to intervene.

As to that “ethnic portion of the population doing all they could”. Who? The Germans? Alsatians? Polish? Czechs?

If you mean Tejanos and Mexicans, they were politically powerless here well into the 1970’s at least, by which time everything present now was already in place.

I wish you coulda been here when the famous Travis first day letter was on display, lines so long a four-hour wait time to get in. You woulda been astounded at the number of Tejanos on that line, I know I was.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
GB1

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I found it very interesting how the mission, has morphed into fort, military barracks, and now historical place.

Some say the dollar encroached on the property, probably a huge factor.

But over centuries, pragmatism was also at play. My humble opinion.

Have never been a huge history buff, but San Antonio has me intrigued for some reason.

Last edited by CRS; 02/27/23.

Arcus Venator
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by shrapnel
There should have been a section (640 acres) declared for the Alamo site and Texans should be totally ashamed that THEY did not reconcile this issue! Instead, the city of San Antonio has built concrete and plaster damn nigh onto the doorstep of what should have been declared as 'hallowed ground'! I feel fully justified in thinking that there was also in play over the years an ethnic portion of the San Antonio population that did all they could do to desecrate the memory of those Americans that died at The Siege of the Alamo!!

I was stunned when I saw the Alamo in the center of San Antonio. I was expecting to see it as you described with acreage and open space.

Sky scrapers on 3 sides, buries the Alamo in a pretty sanitized setting, far from what you would expect…

If anyone wants to get a better idea of what the area around the Alamo might have looked like without all the city encroaching on it, check out some of the other preserved mission sites in the San Antonio area (administered by the National Park Service)..

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
There should have been a section (640 acres) declared for the Alamo site and Texans should be totally ashamed that THEY did not reconcile this issue! Instead, the city of San Antonio has built concrete and plaster damn nigh onto the doorstep of what should have been declared as 'hallowed ground'! I feel fully justified in thinking that there was also in play over the years an ethnic portion of the San Antonio population that did all they could do to desecrate the memory of those Americans that died at The Siege of the Alamo!!

Not everyone that's come here to live has
thought of the Alamo as a sacred site.
It's been used as storage and everything
else you can think of.
Some of the people in charge over the
years thought of the site as an embarrassment.
Some politicians have suggested that
the Alamo was a symbol of the theft of
mexican lands that should be repatriated
to mexico. Lots of reconquistas around today
that people don't notice or ignore.
Many support the notion

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I attended a conference last year in June in San Antonio. My Hotel, and the Conference center are within walking distance, so I arrived a day early so I could take in the Alam0. It was HOT that day and extremely humid.

However, I found the Alamo a very poignant visit with time. All you have to do is look around and see all the pock marks on the wall and you KNOW what made them.

I had just missed Birdy, as I had struck up a conversation with one of the Alamo Polic Officers. Nice friendly guy he was. Certainly lot's to look at if you are a people watcher as I am........

Definitely worth the trip!

Frog---OUT!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Ramblin_Razorback
Originally Posted by shrapnel

I was stunned when I saw the Alamo in the center of San Antonio. I was expecting to see it as you described with acreage and open space.

Sky scrapers on 3 sides, buries the Alamo in a pretty sanitized setting, far from what you would expect…

If anyone wants to get a better idea of what the area around the Alamo might have looked like without all the city encroaching on it, check out some of the other preserved mission sites in the San Antonio area (administered by the National Park Service)..

Agreed - see my mention of Mission Espada above.

He went over yonder way
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
I feel fully justified in thinking that there was also in play over the years an ethnic portion of the San Antonio population that did all they could do to desecrate the memory of those Americans that died at The Siege of the Alamo!!

Hard to believe but exactly what happened at the Alamo wasn’t worked out until 1874 (??) when the State convened a commission for the purpose. By that time commercial and residential development had already impinged on the original mission footprint. Widespread ignorance prevailed, as late as 1903 when one Adina de Zavala locked herself inside the Long Barracks for three days to prevent their demolition, the resulting publicity prompting the Governor to intervene.

As to that “ethnic portion of the population doing all they could”. Who? The Germans? Alsatians? Polish? Czechs?

If you mean Tejanos and Mexicans, they were politically powerless here well into the 1970’s at least, by which time everything present now was already in place.

I wish you coulda been here when the famous Travis first day letter was on display, lines so long a four-hour wait time to get in. You woulda been astounded at the number of Tejanos on that line, I know I was.

Wasn’t the Germans! 🤣

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
One aspect I bring out in talking to visitors is just how scared that collection of Defenders must have been. There had been talk about defending the Alamo, but most men and resources were properly being directed to the true gateway to Texas, an actual defensible stone fort; Presidio La Bahia at Goliad. Also, no one proposing to defend the Alamo ahead of this was thinking the suicidal odds of less than 300 men in a crumbling mission vs. 2,500 soldiers.

Goliad marked the first available ford of the San Antonio River when traveling up from Mexico.

That first morning of February 23rd they were so surprised by the appearance of 200 uniformed Mexican cavalry from the west that Mexican accounts say they recovered 50 American rifles in the town. Our people, after the Bexarenos evacuated the town, had been escaping the cold in their empty houses and apparently the owners of those rifles weren’t able to retrieve them.

What they were able to get inside the mission on Day 1 was about 400lbs of dried corn and maybe thirty random cattle. Sounds like a lot but not so much between 200+ people for twelve days. No mention of firewood either. No preparations for a siege had been made, I doubt there was firewood stockpiled.

The ailing Bowie’s first response on Day 1 was to send a messenger with a letter asking “what are your terms?”, ie. how can I get us out of this predicament.

Travis’ first response was to send an eighteen pound cannonball bouncing through the arriving Mexican force. Not usually mentioned however is later that same day he too sent out a messenger stating when he fired that shot he was unaware that negotiations (ie. Bowie’s message) were underway and asking if they were still willing to negotiate.

Attempts to escape certain death at the Alamo by negotiating their way out would continue until the very last night. The best intelligence now too is that, if Santa Anna hadn’t attacked when he did, a breakout after dark would have been attempted within a day or two so that at least some might have a chance.

Rather than diminish their reputation I believe this enhances it. They could have put up their hands and surrendered any time and maybe some might have lived, but even in the face of certain death on the ends of those long triangular bayonets, they didn’t.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
Brave men.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
There are several places that in my opinion, every American should visit (in no particular order)
Alamo
Gettysburg
Pearl Harbor
Normandy (and the cemeteries)
Little Big Horn.

Feel free to add...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by jorgeI
There are several places that in my opinion, every American should visit (in no particular order)
Alamo
Gettysburg
Pearl Harbor
Normandy (and the cemeteries)
Little Big Horn.

Feel free to add...

Saratoga, where the mighty British Redcoats and their Hessian allies were humbled by a bunch regular Americans who had guns and knew how to use them. We didn’t just beat them, we captured their entire force, including one of their most famous Generals. Surprised the heck out of the Brits.

Last edited by Birdwatcher; 03/01/23.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I got to see it a few times, once long ago. Very moving then especially. More of a shrine back then. One of Crockett's rifles was there. I was amazed at how slender and light it seemed. It's very crowded and commercial today but a lot more people are able to see it. The other famous missions are more realistic and original. The Alamo was already an abandoned ruin for 50 years by 1836.It never looked anything at all like it does today. In related history, Three Roads to the Alamo is a great book on the major heroes. Helps flesh out who and why these characters were there. Texas Monthly had an article The Yellow Rose of Texas about ?somebody Rose, a Jewish guy, who skipped out before the battle, supposedly the source of so much mysterious information on the last days no one survived to tell.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
187 years since the Alamo fell on March 6th, 1836

And tomorrow will be 187 years since TX Declared Independence from Mexico.

Unfortunately due to Lying Hiden Biden’s Open Border and “Catch & Release” BULLSCHITT, it sure looks like Fuqking Mexico is winning again, with help from the Drug Cartel’s and the Traitorous DemoRat’s. 😡

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Travis’ well-spoken slave Joe gave us our best immediate post-battle report when he accompanied Susanna Dickinson and her infant Angelina back to the Texian area after the Alamo. Joe, being part of Travis’ estate, was sent to the plantation of Travis’ probate Lawyer.

He escapes from there in company with a Mexican soldier, presumably to Mexico where escaped slaves could actually build a life such as it was.

Five months later he comes back. A short time after that he skips out again and goes EAST, 600 miles and shows up some time later at Travis’ brother’s plantation in Alabama. An impressive enough feat for a runaway slave, even more so as it is believed he himself had never been east of Memphis.

As far as is known Joe lived the rest of his life there. The last time he is reported was in 1877, in Austin, in company with Travis’ brother. Apparently no one thought to interview him.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I was wrong, Adina Emilia de Zavala saved the long barracks in 1908. To her we owe a debt of gratitude for her tireless efforts in the years leading up to her public stand; a crazy woman who made a difference.

For those who ain’t familiar, a major part of the action after the walls had been breached accrued to the long barracks, hand to hand fighting. I believe one account suggests Bowie had been moved during the siege to the hospital area on the second floor too.

Wealthy society dame Clara Driscoll also stepped up, but Adina could not prevent Driscoll, with the backing of the Govenor, from demolishing the second story of the long barracks to give the church a better look. Unless they have read into it, few visitors now realize the significance of them.

Scroll down to “Saving the Alamo” for a full account.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adina_Emilia_de_Zavala

For thirty years prior to that the long barracks had been used as the base of Hugo Shmeltzer’s big general store, still in place in this
1905 photo of the Rough Riders, once again illustrating how little was known about the battle at that time.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Crash_Pad
Three Roads to the Alamo is a great book on the major heroes. Helps flesh out who and why these characters were there. Texas Monthly had an article The Yellow Rose of Texas about ?somebody Rose, a Jewish guy, who skipped out before the battle, supposedly the source of so much mysterious information on the last days no one survived to tell.

Forty years after the Alamo, 1870’s, when the State finally looked into there were two sources, Susanna Dickinson, who one gets the feeling told them what they wanted to hear (Crockett surrounded by a pile of dead bodies etc), and one William Zuber.

William Zuber was 16 years old at the time of the Alamo, lived 100 miles northeast in Grimes County and was detailed to guard the baggage train at San Jacinto.

From Zuber we get the story of Louis (AKA “Moses” at the Alamo due to his age) Rose. Moses Rose, a French veteran of the Napoleonic Wars, was apparently a real guy at the Alamo.

Today we have no clear idea exactly how many individuals entered or slipped out of the Alamo during the siege. We do know that the 32 men from Gonzales arrived a week into it, feeling honor-bound to face nearly certain death. We also know that Santa Anna at one point allowed the Tejanos to leave, some took him up on the offer, others elected to stay.

Zuber had it that after leaving the Alamo before the actual battle, Rose showed up at this parent’s place in very poor condition. From Zuber, allegedly from Rose, we get Travis’ line in the sand speech which Zuber allowed was his approximation of that speech.

Lines in the sand or other form of vote was apparently not an unusual method back then of getting a bunch of guys who weren’t subject to command to agree on a course of action, majority ruled. There quite likely was one or more such voted during the siege, if so, what exactly they were about is unknown

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Anyone been to the Almo? I'd like to see it.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Around 1855

Around 1927

Current

Illegitimi non carborundum

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
It is impossible for me to stand in the chapel with dry eyes. The raw power in the walls is tangible.

" It ain't dead.As long as there's one cowboy taking care of one cow,it ain't dead ! "
Monte Walsh
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Lslite
It is impossible for me to stand in the chapel with dry eyes. The raw power in the walls is tangible.

As a kid Crockett and Bowie were my big heroes. Travis seemed more a dandy thanks to Walt Disney and John Wayne. He was perhaps the only loyal Texan of the three as the other two were adventurers or worse. The air is so cool in there, the echoes eerie. Not knowing the reality was an open ruin with nothing like a roof gives a false sense of the battle. The current chapel lends a religious inference to their heroic sacrifice. That seems appropriate, to finish the chapel as it supposedly was intended to look, making it a memorial shrine to their memory. People forget Spanish was the official language, Catholicism the state religion every immigrant had to covert to. Most defenders were Mexican citizens, not American. The crowds today and commercial attachments degrade the solemnity, unfortunately, but it's still powerful. And the river walk is nice! Girls fatter than 20 years ago....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
More incredible than being there is to handle the actual Bowie knife that Davey Crockett owned. You can't imagine touching history like that and to think of the connection with Crockett, Bowie and the Alamo...

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

54 members (6mmbrfan, 10gaugemag, 7mm_Loco, 907brass, 808outdoors, 7 invisible), 14,332 guests, and 1,112 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,228
Posts18,543,998
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.