Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by jerrywoodswalker
My local gunsmith (years ago) used to do gunshows down in California. Told me he was at a show in Orange County, a guy next to him had a civilian Japanese sword. Two Japanese guys, one carrying a briefcase, stopped at that table. They pulled off the handle, then he looked it up in a book they were carrying, opened the briefcase and counted out $30,000 in cash for the sword.

Years later I was at a local gunshow, one collector had a table with Japanese swords on it. I told him that story, he told me the prices were way down because the Japanese economy had stagnated. And that that buyers book was a ledger with the description, and that they could tell the original owner of the sword by the inscriptions under the handle, and what the owner was willing to pay for the return of the 'Family' sword.

He had a couple of the military 'Samuri' swords on his table. Told me that those were illegal to possess in Japan, so the value was what collectors here in the states would pay.

Jerry

Only occasionally can you tell who the sword was made for. Once in a while the inscription on one side of the handle will say "made for MR. So and So from XXX". Even then it is hard because there are so many common Japanese names.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its
limits.- Albert Einstein
GB1

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Originally Posted by Tesoro
Th eonly way i would display a jap sword would be if it had a bullet hole through it

I’ve actually seen a jap sword scabbard with a bullet hole in it, courtesy of a decorated US Marine (Billy G.) who was one of the finest men I’ve ever known. He related the following story, and I’m telling it just like he told me:

He was on Okinawa and his squad was easing into a jap camp that was deserted. No one was there, but all of a sudden a jap officer comes out of the bushes zipping up his pants. All he had was his sword, which he drew and charged Billy. Billy told me “I shot that SOB 7 times.” One of Billy’s rounds went thru the scabbard. He said the best they could figure was the officer was taking a dump and his men saw the Marines coming and left without their commander. Billy kept the sword, scabbard, and a rising sun flag from that camp as a war trophy. Billy G. was a fine man who lived into his 90’s, and had a great life after the war. Men like him bought our freedom… The greatest generation.

T
T4HALO Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
These swords were taken from a defeated nation. US war veterans brought them home after kicking ass.

Sounds like a good reason to display them to me.

T4

7th and 10th Special Forces Groups (Retired)
T
T4HALO Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Lets try $1000.

T4

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Watching with interest as I have one also.

IC B2

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N

“Factio democratica delenda est"
T
T4HALO Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Thanks for the catalog nyrifleman. I have one my dad brought back from WWII. Gonna do some research. Never part with it, but interesting to know more about it.

Kota

Do not pray for an easier life, Pray to be stronger men
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by Kota
Thanks for the catalog nyrifleman. I have one my dad brought back from WWII. Gonna do some research. Never part with it, but interesting to know more about it.

Kota

My pleasure.

“Factio democratica delenda est"
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ClaimsRep
I’ve actually seen a jap sword scabbard with a bullet hole in it, courtesy of a decorated US Marine (Billy G.) who was one of the finest men I’ve ever known. He related the following story, and I’m telling it just like he told me:

He was on Okinawa and his squad was easing into a jap camp that was deserted. No one was there, but all of a sudden a jap officer comes out of the bushes zipping up his pants. All he had was his sword, which he drew and charged Billy. Billy told me “I shot that SOB 7 times.” One of Billy’s rounds went thru the scabbard. He said the best they could figure was the officer was taking a dump and his men saw the Marines coming and left without their commander. Billy kept the sword, scabbard, and a rising sun flag from that camp as a war trophy. Billy G. was a fine man who lived into his 90’s, and had a great life after the war. Men like him bought our freedom… The greatest generation.

That story made me smile, thanks for sharing it.

Black Cows Matter!
IC B3

T
T4HALO Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Ttt

T
T4HALO Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Up

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
My dad, 2nd Division, US Marines, was on Okinawa too.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
T
T4HALO Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Up

T
T4HALO Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Ttt

T
T4HALO Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
You need this sword

T
T4HALO Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
$950

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I will take it for 950.
email me payment info to cbrier4677yahoo.com
I would like to reserve the right to have it authenticated.
I am a very good buyer
Curtis

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Kinda of a few posts but hope you get it if you want it and the seller trusts you. I have an interesting sword that's from the war of Northern Aggression if you will. A Yankee calvary example unfortunately. Not for sale.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by Lockhart
Kinda of a few posts but hope you get it if you want it and the seller trusts you. I have an interesting sword that's from the war of Northern Aggression if you will. A Yankee calvary example unfortunately. Not for sale.
I am a major contributor on several forums, mainly the S&W one, but also ASSRA, Ruger, Colt and a few others.
I am a good buyer and I have good references.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

553 members (1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 007FJ, 67 invisible), 2,361 guests, and 1,452 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,167
Posts18,484,520
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.