Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Originally Posted by JoeBob
There is a pretty decent chance that the original James Bowie knife was found at a river crossing the Mexican Army used as it headed east. It’s call the “Sea of Mud Knife”.

https://blademag.com/knife-history/the-sea-of-mud-knife-james-bowies-knife-found-pt-1/amp

Some great history in that link, and more in the links provided in the link.

I do wonder if Bowie ever saw much less used a knife that we would recognize as a bowie. The presentation models Rezin Bowie had made resembled in shape fancy, silver-clad examples of regular butcher knives.

I wonder too how much of the popular names arose from the marketing by the Sheffield UK companies that made many of the bowies used in the US. I believe it was in Russels classic Firearms Traps and Tools of the Mountain Men there’s a picture of a knife that was sold as a “Buffalo Knife” in Canada, “Bowie Knife” in the US and “Gaucho Knife” in South America. Same blade, different handles.

It’s pretty well established that what we consider the classic Bowie knife today with the clipped point and the big guard probably didn’t appear until the second half of the 19th century. The real original Bowie knives were like big butcher knives.

Black’s knives were distinguished by their coffin handles and their exceptional heat treating.

Black was set up in a good place to meet up with the Bowies and make them some knives. Rezin had plantations in eastern Arkansas and liked to take months long hunting trips to the mountains of Arkansas and Indian territory and the plains and prairies of north Texas. Washington was set up on the road west and a crossroads where you went north, southwest, or due west.

As an aside we own land where we believe a section of the Fort Towson road was.

Last edited by JoeBob; 03/01/23.
GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by shrapnel
I can't show you any documents, especially when this belongs to an individual that doesn't want his identity splashed all over the Internet. Bold is stating no one knows what one looks like. I do know the provenance of this knife and it does indeed, exist. People like this have more access to things you and I have never heard of and because you don't know, it is true, you just don't know...

For someone that knows less than I do, which is basic fact, you are incredibly arrogant to back up your gullible ignorance which such a stupid boast, attacking people only interested in history, and maybe truth.You have indeed been misled, more obviously now and pathetically so. And it wasn't a feat of magic.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
From the front, you have no idea it is surrounded by skyscrapers. How did the river get where it is in front of the Alamo?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

304 members (1936M71, 257 mag, 160user, 270wsmnutt, 2500HD, 21, 27 invisible), 12,513 guests, and 1,144 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,230
Posts18,544,165
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.