Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
The Canadian newspapers were busy in 1932 with the account of the "Mad Trapper", Albert Johnson
and his violent contacts with the RCMP. Johnson trapped without a license, and disturbed native trappers
trap lines.
Constable Edgar Millen was shot and killed by Johnson near the Yukon's Rat River area, which launched a
Canadian manhunt across the NWT/Yukon landscape in the dead of winter. The account is most interesting.
Albert Johnson was finally hunted down, and his Savage 99 in 30 WCF found near his body by Mounties.

Where is this Savage rifle now?
In the RCMP Museum in Edmonton

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena-not the critic"-T. Roosevelt
There are no atheists in fox holes or in the open doors of a para's aircraft.....
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I saw it in the RCMP Museum in Regina, Sask. The Museum is at the RCMP training facility.
It's been 15 years since I was there and the Museum was small but interesting.
I've canoed up in that country and maybe 45 years ago I met an elderly native lady that remembered the incident.
That was supposedly the first time aircraft were used to hunt a fugitive.
For years, it was thought that Albert Johnson was a Swede from North Dakota but a few years ago DNA was extracted from his remains and compared with a supposed relative in ND and there wasn't a match.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Mornin, not knowing?? Have told this story here before but here goes. There used to be a Canadian tv show, Front Page Challenge. Three people, news, actors, etc on a panel would ask a guest questions about a topic from major news stories & then if they thought they new the story would guess the title. An RCMP was the guest one night (out of view)! He was in on the hunt for Albert Johnson. At one point Albert was shooting at them from about 300 + yds. The RCMP officer thought it was ridicules with an old 30-30 until he felt a sharp pane in his knee & dropped to the ground. Don't remember if the panel guest the story or not (was very young) but always remember it, possibly because we trapped?? Panel if I remember Gordon Sinclair, Pierre Burton, Orientel lady. Anyway an interesting part of the story. There were a lot of things said about Albert, killing & stealing gold teeth, stole furs,& traps........ Don't know if things were as bad back then with NEWS coverage, BUT, probably if they had left him alone all would have ended better maybe. Probably some bitch from the trading post didn't like him so called the RCMP & the rest is history. You might be able to google Front Page Challenge & find out more info?? GWP. πŸΎπŸ‘£πŸΎπŸ‘£πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker

"Every day above ground is a good day."
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Most recent Jan/Feb issue of The Backwoodsman magazine has an article on the items found with Albert Johnson. Pictures too of the Savage.

Me

IC B2

J
Joe Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Yes I read that Backwoodsman magazine and the description of the rifle was a Savage Model 99 "Featherweight". Would that be the "H"?

Shew me thy ways, O LORD: teach me thy paths.
"there are few better cartridges on Earth than the 7 x 57mm Mauser"
"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Native trappers complained that someone was robbing/disturbing their traplines. That combined with
no record of a trappers license caused the Mounties to at least try to question Johnson.
One incident lead to another. WWI pilot Wop May assisted in the chase with his biplane.
Bush pilot aids RCMP. Full account can be seen by looking him up on the net. Interesting
but they still do not know his identity.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena-not the critic"-T. Roosevelt
There are no atheists in fox holes or in the open doors of a para's aircraft.....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I just finished reading the book "The Mad Trapper of Rat River", by the late Dick North-first published in 1969. Very interesting read with detailed description of the manhunt based on interviews of people that knew Arthur Nelson who is suspected of using the name Albert Johnson and of the mounties involved including one that was shot by Johnson/Nelson.

The author provides the serial number of the 99F, 293575. The text of the letter is shown in Exhibit D in the Appendix, dated November 4, 1969 signed by Robert McComb-Works Manager, Savage Arms Division of the Emhart Corporation. At one point in the text the author uses serial number 292575....Who knows, typo, transposition. There is another reference to 293575 in the RCMP inventory of Johnson's effects-Exhibit C.

Inquiring minds.

LHS

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Hmm....

Originally Posted by Rick99
I stand corrected. I knew I had the info in my data but what I first posted was a rifle that was owned by one of our members named the "Madtrapper".

Here is the correct info...
99-F, #292218, .30-30. Also have a ship date of 2/5/1927 (not sure where that came from). Probably a "MP" marked barrel. Wonder if we would have any luck verifing? Jed, maybe Mr. Klancher could help with that?

Picture of it from the museum that it's in right now. But they don't list the serial number.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

β€œThe Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yes. Hmmmm.

The letter in the book states ship date of May 2, 1927 to Marshall Wells Company.

Another transposition?? 2/5/1927.

LHS

IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
2/5/1927 is Europe and Canada's 5/2/1927

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by damnesia

Yup! Learned that working for an international telecom provider.

Good catch!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Just as a double check, I've sent an email off to the RCMP museum asking for the serial number.

β€œThe Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Lightfoot
Originally Posted by damnesia

Yup! Learned that working for an international telecom provider.

Good catch!

I figured as well. I am still wondering what ser # is correct. Not that it matters, I guess.

LHS

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I stand corrected. I knew I had the info in my data but what I first posted was a rifle that was owned by one of our members named the "Madtrapper".
Madtrapper on the forum!?
Am I the only one that sees a resemblance!?

Deceased Madtrapper

Our Madtrapper

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Southern_WI_Savage
Madtrapper on the forum!?
Am I the only one that sees a resemblance!?

Deceased Madtrapper

Our Madtrapper

I sent you a PM

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

M
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
M
The resemblance is pretty close. But I am still alive.

Darryl

From the Great White North
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Calhoun
Just as a double check, I've sent an email off to the RCMP museum asking for the serial number.

Thanks Rory, go to the source!

LHS

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by madtrapper143
The resemblance is pretty close. But I am still alive.

Darryl
Good. Thanks for being here.

Are you a trapper?

And are you mad?

Hmmmmmmmm...
smile

M
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
M
I trapped for about 40 years on and off. I was known to get mad in my younger days. Now getting mad takes up too much energy.
Darryl

Last edited by madtrapper143; 10/03/23.

From the Great White North
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (10ring1, 1Longbow, 163bc, 1badf350, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 60 invisible), 2,619 guests, and 1,167 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,915
Posts18,498,338
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.