Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by texken
can any one say that EVERY T that left the factory had the red bead, I don't think so, who can say that any day the guy installing sights didn't have the red bead.
Well, Savage did have quality assurance standards and having the correct sights for a model for each cartridge would have been a step. So I think normally they'd have adhered to the specifications.

But we know that the specifications in the catalogs didn't always match production. The 99H, for example, the checkering on the 99R/99RS, etc. They did make a big point out of the 99T sights in the catalog tho.

I also agree that if they ran out of red bead sights, the same exact sight was available with gold and white beads and I wouldn't be surprised if some left the factory with them.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
GB1

S
S
The August 1949 Outdoor Life has a picture of a Model 99 T with the forend checkered like a post War R. Jack stated that it would be made again. There is no mention of an RT in the article. This most likely was a picture of a rifle that Savage thought of producing. The RT is what Today's Collector calls these "oddballs" that we sometimes find. I thought that perhaps this article would shed some light on this mystery.

Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I'd love to read it... don't think I'm going to spend $35-$40 to buy it off ebay tho.

RAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Back in the day it was a Grey Rat. Apparently today its Cody material 🤪

America is (supposed to be) a Republic, NOT a democracy. Learn the difference, help end the lie. Fear a government that fears your guns.
RAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Skynyrd
The August 1949 Outdoor Life has a picture of a Model 99 T with the forend checkered like a post War R. Jack stated that it would be made again. There is no mention of an RT in the article. This most likely was a picture of a rifle that Savage thought of producing. The RT is what Today's Collector calls these "oddballs" that we sometimes find. I thought that perhaps this article would shed some light on this mystery.

Today's Collector? Do you mean Wikapedia based learning? The internet is full of BS . Plus there are Sites you can go to and fill with BS to support the First BS. Little respect for learning and garnering knowledge from extracting information from digging, reading and talking. not posting, talking. America is forgetting how to communicate, and Hero's are Medaled by a much lower standard.

America is (supposed to be) a Republic, NOT a democracy. Learn the difference, help end the lie. Fear a government that fears your guns.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RAM

Today's Collector? Do you mean Wikapedia based learning? The internet is full of BS . Plus there are Sites you can go to and fill with BS to support the First BS. Little respect for learning and garnering knowledge from extracting information from digging, reading and talking. not posting, talking. America is forgetting how to communicate, and Hero's are Medaled by a much lower standard.

Spoken true to form.

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RAM

Well today's collectors certainly aren't as learned, intelligent, knowledgeable or as humble or as helpful or as patient with people just trying to learn as you are, which you seem to take every opportunity to point out.

Why are you so angry?

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Longbeardking
I have his Fox Sterlingworth 16ga field grade that he turned into a 45-70 double rifle. That doesn't suggest that this odd ball sale will prove or disprove anything.

now that would be a cool gun to own! Especially on the more svelte small frame!

Andrew
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

AND JTC signing the documentation,

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
Eeeeeh, is that pretty nasty to shoot? 😬

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Nope. Not at all. However, I did not buy it to shoot.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Longbeardking
Nope. Not at all. However, I did not buy it to shoot.

I imagine it doesn't kick all that terrible but I do suspect its pretty front heavy?!????

Andrew
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
True that.

S
S
I have some information on the 99 That started this. The lever code is present it reads 26A. The forearm is unmarked. The lever is case hardened. The barrel is not marked with a serial number. There is a number 5 stamped there. The number 5 is also stamped. On the butt stock under the butt plate. The butt plate is also stamped with a 5. The forend is very proud at the bottom of the receiver. The fit is excellent in the barrel channel. The pre war RS sling swivels have a Savage issue 7/8" sling The red front sight is Lyman marked. I reviewed the Jack O'Conner article in Outdoor life August 1949. In that Jack states that the only improvement that He would make on the Savage 99T would be to add detashable sling swivels. Interestingly in the 1952 Outdoor life shooting annual O'Connor has another picture of a Model 99T with a post was 99R foreend. With all that I have named the above rifle the O'Connor 99T since he announced it.

Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
So a 1949 rifle, with a pre-1947 barrel and sights, with unmarked forearm but stamped buttplate/buttstock/receiver.

5 isn't an unusual stamp on a barrel, have a number of them with it. It is unusual on a buttstock

The studs/sling swivels were still available in 1949, so nothing surprising there.

Based on just "5" being stamped on buttstock/buttplate... my guess is:
1) Special order parts gun assembled for somebody that wanted a 99T. O'Connor, other customer or employee? Who knows. Used leftover 99T forearm/sights, put on a receiver, fitted a buttstock, and shipped it.

At the time they only had the 99EG in production but were only a couple weeks from starting the 99R Version 2 that was drilled & tapped and had different forearm/checkering. They'd have had the spec and design sheets done for the 99R Version 2 prior to this. So if it was a prototype 99R, I'd expect more similarities to the production 99R or less finish on the gun.

A production EG with swapped parts later would have full serial number on buttstock/buttplate, or full assembly code.

No matter what it is, it's very cool! If Cody ever gets access to their microfilm data, I'd letter it. At that time I think it would give you a model and ship date.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It's got to be a leftover T barrel that they found somewhere, sights and all. 22" Utica barrel. No such thing as a 22" 300 barrel in 1949.

Not?

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I agree. And a probably the forearm also. Machines at Chicopee Falls had never been set up to make 99T forearms or do 99T checkering.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have some information on the 99 That started this.
What is the serial number of this parts gun? whistle

"Every day above ground is a good day."
S
S
The serial number is 531871. In September I plan on going to the OGCA/ Winchester collector show. Jessie Bennet from the Cody Museum will be there. Hopfully, when I talk to Jessie she will have some more information on this rifle. I will post what I find out here.

Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
They don't have access to that data yet. Maybe by September they will.... but I wouldn't hold my breath. I'll cross my fingers for ya tho!

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

479 members (19rabbit52, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 160user, 163bc, 1lesfox, 43 invisible), 2,777 guests, and 1,132 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,656
Posts18,533,887
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.