-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Is this gone forever? I can only assume that it’s going to military contracts. I’ve been working on a single 8# jug for 3 years, and I’ve all but given up on ever seeing it again in the wild.

I know that I can get a jug for $600 on GB, but I don’t want it that bad. I have watched the major retailers pretty consistently since the pandemic started.

Chris
GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I’d like some more of it myself! Awesome in a Whelen and the 22-250.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Great powder. My 308w Tikka T3 loves it. I've seen it locally, didn't realize it was unobtanium. I guess I better buy more, the next time I see it.. That reminds me, I need to go and load some 168's up for my new 308..
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
burn a bunch of it currently about 8 lb on hand and I buy pretty much all I can all the time. I use it in lots of different things

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
My Tikka loves it:

Was playing around with my new 308 and I don't know if it likes it as much as the Tikka does:

Further tests show that the Winchester prefers CFE223 for both 168's and 175's:

The op may want to give CFE a try, if he can't find IMR8208XBR... Just a suggestion..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

T
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
T
A few months ago I found some locally at $73./lb. First that I've seen on a shelf for about three years. Bought it without hesitation. How sad.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
They had suspended production of it, I had read, in favor of more popular powders. Several powders were discontinued, but they never stated 8208XBR was one of them. I have a load with 77 gr Sierra's that screams through my AR--fast and accurate. I'm also getting pretty low and have been burning Varget lately. I have seen it on shelves just once since this whole mess started.

"Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads."
Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
Been several years since I have seen any, but supplies in general have been slim to nil on shelves around here. There is exactly ONE store within about 40 miles of my house that has consistently had any powder on a regular basis the past couple years, and that has mostly been pistol powders 🤷‍♂️

I haven't seen it at any of my usual online reloading supply retailers in quite some time, either.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
8208 and H322 are impossible to find, I have been looking for over 2 years…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I was lucky enough to score some H322 from Midsouth Shooters Supply back in October of last year. It is out there, but it goes super fast.

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by TeeBone
A few months ago I found some locally at $73./lb. First that I've seen on a shelf for about three years. Bought it without hesitation. How sad.

Damn!!! I guess, like they say, if you really need it...... That's spendy though. I have a buddy that paid $65/pound for H4350 last year when it was hard to find. I told him to hold off for a couple months and it would be down in price. He did not listen because he just had to have it because it had been "unobtanium". He bought 6 pounds and patted himself on the back. 3 months later I bought some for $50/pound. I was running low, or I would not have paid that price, but if you are low or don't have it, you pay the piper. As much as we don't like it.. However, this brings up a valid point of trying different powders. Ramshot has been a life saver for a lot of us, I think. Great powder that is very affordable. And most times it is available, which really helps in these times.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by drop_point
They had suspended production of it, I had read, in favor of more popular powders. Several powders were discontinued, but they never stated 8208XBR was one of them. I have a load with 77 gr Sierra's that screams through my AR--fast and accurate. I'm also getting pretty low and have been burning Varget lately. I have seen it on shelves just once since this whole mess started.

Drop point, I'd suggest Ramshot X-terminator powder. I'm running 2,750 fps avg with 77's in my 20" ar's. Shoots great too.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Drop point, I'd suggest Ramshot X-terminator powder. I'm running 2,750 fps avg with 77's in my 20" ar's. Shoots great too.

How is temp sensitivity? I've not tried any Ramshot besides TAC.

"Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads."
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

How is temp sensitivity? I've not tried any Ramshot besides TAC.

I haven't noticed anything weird with X-terminator. I don't carry a chrono in my back pocket like some of you guys do around here though. I'll use one on occasion, when checking loads, but that's about it.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
8208 is great. Not temp sensitive, clean burning, and flows well through my Redding #3. But, as the OP noted, about impossible to find. Benchmark seems a touch faster, but works well in the same applications.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I bought several pounds of 8208 in Feb 2022. I saw it avaiable for a couple of weeks. H322 about the same time. Snagged some of it too.

Now H4895, it's been prob 3 years since I've seen any.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

125 members (44mc, 300Sav, 35, alwaysoutdoors, 7887mm08, Anaconda, 11 invisible), 1,524 guests, and 866 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,979
Posts18,499,557
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.