Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
Anyone use these for hunting? If you have used them for hunting, how did they perform? What did you kill with them and at what range? Thanks

Edwin

GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M

E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by Motown

Thanks! Looks like them scenars kill just fine.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Buy, load and hunt with full confidence! I can tell u the the 6.5 139gr and 7mm 180gr are incredible killers and just insanely accurate.

Roy

E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
I'm going to order some. Thanks friends

IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I had a lifetime supply of many premium bullets until I stumbled upon the 155 Scenar thread. I subsequently tried them for a season, laid in a 3 lifetime supply and sold all my premium bullets. I shoot them in my 308’s and see no reason to look any further. They work very, very well.

When I shoot Pigs, my hunting buddy always remarks on how devastating they are.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Reloader 28
What ya feeding those 155 scenars with?

Last edited by Remington280; 02/24/23.

HMM-161, HMM-364
Semper Fi Brothers
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Probably a dumb question, coming from somebody with a half-lifetime supply of 6.5 139 Scenars but who hasn't actually shot any critters with them yet (my two lifetime supply of Hornady 129's have served me very well) - would you be tempted to stick a moose with one, out of a 6.5x55?

Having read the positive comments here on the Fire concerning their use on deer-sized game I take them on faith for that purpose, but am wondering about their viability for a big tough bastard of a moose.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I’m not a Scenar guy but I have followed them closely and note the experiences of those that use them. Unless someone has used Scenars to take a moose I’m as qualified as anyone else to insert my opinion. 😀

Moose aren’t impossibly hard to kill but I’ve seen them absorb a lot of lead from fatal hits never knowing they were dead until they tipped over. I have no doubt that the Scenar would kill a moose but moose have heavy bones and are big animals so unless you had an ideal shot presentation you could run into trouble. Hard angles and hitting bone might be a limiting factor with Scenars. Oftentimes “anchoring” the moose before it takes to water is a major consideration as well. You don’t want your moose wandering out into the middle of a pond before the Scenar finally works its magic.

If you do use it for moose I hope you update this thread. Good luck.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I’ve looked at the Scenar thread, interesting. I’m thinking about them in a new to me .308. Do those of you who’ve used them on game find them excessively destructive on meat? Some of the exit pictures look pretty large.

Thanks.

Frank

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by fshaw
I’ve looked at the Scenar thread, interesting. I’m thinking about them in a new to me .308. Do those of you who’ve used them on game find them excessively destructive on meat? Some of the exit pictures look pretty large.

Thanks.

Frank

I don’t think so myself Frank. We’ve mainly used the 139 in the PRC and CM and the 220 in the Nosler and RUM. If anything I think they’re quite a bit harder than an ELD myself but we haven’t shot dozens of deer with them, yet.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Probably a dumb question, coming from somebody with a half-lifetime supply of 6.5 139 Scenars but who hasn't actually shot any critters with them yet (my two lifetime supply of Hornady 129's have served me very well) - would you be tempted to stick a moose with one, out of a 6.5x55?

Having read the positive comments here on the Fire concerning their use on deer-sized game I take them on faith for that purpose, but am wondering about their viability for a big tough bastard of a moose.

Just me but if I’d shoot it with the 129 Hornady I’d use the 139 Scenar, if that makes sense.

Semper Fi
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Remington280
Reloader 28

In my 308 WIN’S: TAC, 43.5 gr averaging 2820 fps, 1/2 moa, 22” barrel
In my 300 WSM’S: VV550, 64.5 gr averaging 3230 fps, < 1/2 moa, 24” barrel

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by gnoahhh

Not dumb at all. If you look at the Scenar thread, which was referred to in this thread, you would several truckloads of Elk harvested with 308 Win & 155 Scenars. Are Elk as tough, tougher or easier than a Moose? Never shot a Moose. But, I have read numerous sitings of Moose taken with a 308 Winchester. Seemingly small cartridge for such a large animal. But, it wouldn’t hurt my feelings to shoot ‘em mote than once.

Last edited by Reloder28; 02/25/23.

Robert E. Lee
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I’m not a huge fan of venison other than Sitka Blacktails so I don’t worry about a little extra bloodshot meat. I really enjoy elk meat and even better is moose so I would be more careful not ruining more meat than is absolutely necessary. I certainly would shoot more than once to anchor a moose but even easier, at least for me is to simply change the bullet I use on moose, if not the chambering and bullet.

I don’t want to start an argument over which is tougher, a moose or an elk? Moose are BIG…moose have big, heavy, thick bones….moose live by water, graze in the water and often take to water when they’ve been shot…..moose are BIG. I want to anchor the moose on dry land and my choice in cartridge and bullet reflect that but like all these things that we discuss on these threads there are many ways to accomplish one’s goals and this is simply my opinion and thought on the matter.

I hunt with a 308 and I wouldn’t feel terribly undergunned if using it for moose. I’d limit my distance to under 300 yards and I’d be using the 168gr TSX….otherwise if hunting moose I’d likely be using my 338wm again or my 35 Whelen.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
I did manage to kill a few with the 139 scenar , late season doe thinning. They're definitely not too soft a bullet..
Shot two doe with one shot at 200 yds, both died really quick with one running 100yds the other fell within 30 yds.
It kills like a cup and core .

HMM-161, HMM-364
Semper Fi Brothers
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
The 6.5 123gr Scenar has done well for me.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a limited resume, but I’ve killed three big whitetail bucks with the 155 Scenar out of a GAP .308, and none of them took a step. All three weighed 225 lbs plus. Ranges were 75-150 yards. As long as I keep getting those results I’ll keep shooting them, as they are absurdly precise in my rifle.

Chris
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Remington280
Reloader 28

Originally I was loading 48.5 gr’s Varget for one hole accuracy & 2880 fps. But, you can imagine those were compressed loads. After sitting in the ammo box the powder would push the bullet out enough to jam into the lands. If I fired the chambered round, it was bug-hole accurate. If I had to eject the round the bullet would stick in the throat & dump the powder into the action. I carried a cleaning rod with me for three seasons as a ramrod. I finally addressed it & ended up going to TAC as it was accurate & retained my preferred level of velocity. Once I backed the Varget down to an uncompressed load it was too slow to suit me.

Robert E. Lee

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

453 members (117LBS, 1Longbow, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 17CalFan, 48 invisible), 2,752 guests, and 1,178 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,972
Posts18,499,360
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.