-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Came back to the game last year after 20+ years off. Used to shoot mid to low 70s. I think I can get back there with the better equipment available now. Playing PXG now. Nice clubs.

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
GB1

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Hi my name is Jeff and I am a golf addict. I don't know why but I love the game. I am on our Course board of directors. My wife and I play couples golf all over Missouri, Kansas, Oklahoma and Arkansas in the summer. I play year round for the most part. All the guys I play with have their own carts, cart covers and we use propane heaters in the heart of the winter. Our course rents cart sheds so we just leave our carts there. As long as it is 32ish and low wind, we are out there. If it is too cold to play, I just hit balls in my garage. I would consider myself an above average player. Depending on the time of year, I will go between a 12-14hdcp.
I just bought new P790 irons and play a PXG driver and 3 wood with vokey wedges. I have a half dozen putters that may or may not work at any given moment. I had to have Achilles surgery two weeks ago so I am sidelined until May 23rd.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Knarley_Bob
Golf? HA! I have a cannon that shoots them damn balls to the horizon. 300 Gr, of BP, and away they go!!!

You can do both. 😉

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I’m a current handicap of +1.5. 45 years old and play several times a week when possible. Played on scholarship in college. Still play some AGA events like the Southeastern 4 Ball Championship. Most frustrating game I’ve ever attempted lol. But when it’s right…

Footnote. I got to play Shoal Creek in Alabama last spring. This is an old school caddie course which hosted two PGA Championships among others. It’s been a bucket list course for me. So we show up and I get saddled with an LPGA caddie that was filling in. I beat the grass off that course with a -4 68. Scorecard is still on the refrigerator 🤣🤣

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Right on, Josh.

FORE!

IC B2

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Nope. No interest in golf

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Started playing at age 12.

Played high school golf and won State Team Championships

Slowed down and concentrated on college work

Shot 69 in a City Championship and led Day One only to blow up Day Two. Recovered Day Three to place well

Started shooting competitively and played occasionally

Golf will always be an important part of my life and I will focus on it soon

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I goofed off at golf in high school, had such an opportunity to practice and learn from an instructor that I never considered. This was mid to late 1980s. Decided to take it more seriously 1992-1994 while in college as a stress relief. I was a solid 20 handicapper then. Got serious about it in the late 90s and was fortunate enough to join a very nice club with excellent practice facilities in 1998 - TPC Southwind in Memphis, TN, home of the PGA tour FedEx St. Jude Classic tournament. I practiced and played hard for several years, by early to mid 2000s I was down to a 2 handicap. Never did become a “scratch” golfer. Did have a few moments of greatness occasionally. Shot 4 under 67 on 7,100 yard par 71 (tournament tees) right before the PGA tournament one year. It’s unbelievable the difference between a scratch golfer and a pro golfer. I shot that score ONCE, they do that once a week. That’s when I knew i would never make it in any sort of pro ranks.

I have played some great courses and in great places over the years - Kiawah Island in SC, multiple TPCs (Jasna Polana, Dalaas in McKinney TX, both Vegas courses in the TPC InterClub championship, TPC Scottsdale where the party happens every spring on the
16 hole), Pebble Beach in 1998, beautiful courses in Maui, Kauai, and Lanai in Hawaii in 1996 and 2002. Finally played in Europe a few years ago - Treudleberg Golf Club in northern Hamburg Germany and a “public” golf course in Switzerland west of Zurich. I get invited occassionally to play Old Waverly and Mossy Oak golf clubs in West Point MS, that is always fun. Friends own a condo ther so it was an easy 2hour drive, play, and drink fest. I miss those trips.

Gave is real inconsistent because of bad back and lack of practice. The good wants to come out if my back holds up, but nowdays I am content shooting 80, give or take 2 shots.it is frustrating becuase I know I could be down to. 4 in one summer of practice if I could stay healthy

Welcome to TN - patron state of shootin’ stuff
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I enjoy the game immensely. I miss playing the mountain courses in Colorado. The rough was brutal before the pine beetles made it their home! Too many old injuries are creeping up , but I reckon if I eat some more Ranger candy I can get a few more enjoyable rounds in. I finally started breaking 80 several years ago, but it was not all that difficult of a course, it was a good feeling though!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I play on and off all summer. When I’m on, I probably shoot in the low 60’s…

IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by goalie
Originally Posted by ButchA61
@goalie

I remember demo'ing a Callaway Big Bertha, back in the day. Unbelievable driver! You could play a draw, you could play a fade, but the price tag (back then) was like... shocked eek

The stuff Callaway fit me into in December was ridiculous. $600 driver, $350 fairway woods, $325 hybrids, irons $200 each.

But the irons Paradym are amazing.

I think I came home with 4k in clubs. 😁
[quote=goalie][quote=ButchA61]@goalie

Bruh. $4 grand? They saw that Minnesota sock tan coming a mile away! Lol.

Seriously, $4K might seem like a lot of money, but you use them all summer into the shoulder seasons. A nice custom rifle or a quality O/U can match that price easy, so it’s all a matter of perspective. I generally talk to the rep and get demo clubs or last years model fit to me with new mid GP Tour Wrap grips. Business expense.

Got a few bucket list courses up by you. Hazeltine and Interlachen. I have a standing invite. Probably going to need a wingman wink. Just have to get out there. About 10 hr drive.

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by shrapnel

For 18 and you should be on Tour.

For 9 and your last name might be Mr. Havercamp. “That’s a peach, Hon”.

Last edited by CharlieFoxtrot; 03/08/23. Reason: Quote from the greatest golf movie of all time

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Have played for over 50 years now, and think I may be done with it. Love the game but my current back and hip issues might mean I have to start using carts or quit. I HATE cart golf. Until now, I walked 18 holes in under three hours, playing solo. I usually card in the low 80s, but have shot my age in two consecutive rounds when I was 73.

I'll miss golf if I am truly unable to do it any more, but it'll give me more time for fishing!

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Used to play weekly in the Navy.

Came home and played bi-weekly for about 2 years.

Now I'm down to about 1-2 times a summer.

I love everything about golf more than the game itself. Outside, beers, go-karts, fella's and cart girls. What's not to like?

That said - I'd like to golf more if I was better at it. I do enjoy it quite a bit on TV. Masters coverage is amazaballs.

Never played Pebble Beach but been there - crazy pretty area. The nicest place I've ever played was probably Golf Club of Texas. Brother played Bridgestone in OH once - said that was nice. My uncle has golfed a bit in Japan and said that was crazy nice too.

Me

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I love golf. Started playing when I was a teen. Now, between age and ailments I’m not very good and don’t play often. The last time I played I couldn’t hit a bull in the ass with a handful of rice.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I once drove from a short par four to the green (not supposed to be possible, but the stars were all aligned that day), landing what should have been one putt from the hole. Unfortunately, the folks putting on the green when it landed didn't appreciate the feat as much as I did, and ground my ball into the green, then waited for me, and one of them tried to pick a fight with me (along with his buddies pretending to physically hold him back) on my arrival, despite my apology. Finally, I tossed my putter behind me and told him to come on, then. Suddenly, he lost interest in fighting, and they all went to their next hole.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by CharlieFoxtrot
Originally Posted by shrapnel

For 18 and you should be on Tour.

For 9 and your last name might be Mr. Havercamp.

I only count the good strokes…

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by CharlieFoxtrot
Bruh. $4 grand? They saw that Minnesota sock tan coming a mile away! Lol.

Seriously, $4K might seem like a lot of money, but you use them all summer into the shoulder seasons. A nice custom rifle or a quality O/U can match that price easy, so it’s all a matter of perspective. I generally talk to the rep and get demo clubs or last years model fit to me with new mid GP Tour Wrap grips. Business expense.

Got a few bucket list courses up by you. Hazeltine and Interlachen. I have a standing invite. Probably going to need a wingman wink. Just have to get out there. About 10 hr drive.

I was fitted at ECPC and got the clubs for free.

I enjoy the game, but had never been fitted. The putter fitting probably helped me the most. It was night and day for me.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Funny thing...during the Great Covidiocy, our course forbade touching the flag pin. They installed short sections of pool noodle around the bottom of the pin and decreed that any ball that bounced off the foam was considered holed. The benefit I discovered was that I no longer had to bend over to get the ball - just scooped it up with my putter. So after the Covidiocy, I started playing what I called the "one hole offset" in which I imagined the hole to be touching but next to where it was actually cut. If I rolled my ball over the "offset hole" I called it good and scooped it up.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Still have a set of Pings and Calloways in the storage room. One of these days :-)

Last edited by Biebs; 03/08/23.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

81 members (406_SBC, 7mm_Loco, 257robertsimp, AdventureBound, 13 invisible), 1,636 guests, and 861 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,324
Posts18,526,464
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.