Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Went to the range to test my first batch of hand loads, safe to say everything was done right! I was quite nervous the first couple of shots šŸ˜…

https://postimg.cc/gallery/YhX8c9k

GB1

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Look like a successful trip to the range.

Eric
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Looking good

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Iā€™m sorry to hear thatā€¦ā€¦.you are now infected by an incurable disease! Actually, congratulations and I wish you much success and many more years to perfect your skills! memtb

Last edited by memtb; 03/10/23.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

ā€œIā€™d like to be a good riflemanā€¦..but, I prefer to be a good hunterā€! memtb 2024
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Now try it at 100 and 200 yardsšŸ˜œ

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
IC B2

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
That is 100

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thank you I appreciate it, after today and the feelings I felt seeing these numbers the range will likely be a biweekly occurance. Likely opposite of payday so I have something to look forward to every weekend!

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
The sickness will probably only get worse, those groups were with a $400 Ruger American, now Iā€™ll only wonder what I could do with a higher end rifle, only one way to eventually find out.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Looks great!!! Specifics of load and rifle? After a while that nervous feeling will go away and the feeling of accomplishment will replace it. Because you will know exactly everything that was done to each case and you will know it was done right. There will be no question about reliability, when you do it right too.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Ruger American predator 22in barrel

43 gr of Imr 4064 for the .6 and the .4 and some change group.

42.8 for the .4 exact group.

Hornady match cases not yet formed to my bore so maybe that will make it more accurate. They were trimmed to 2.005.

Hornady 168gr BTHP Match seated .020 away from the lands.

IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Good job kid, we're all rooting for yah. I remember being your age and crazy about shooting, hunting and spending everything you've earned to keep those rifles and shotguns fed.

Little word of advice: stick with those common calibers until you're a bit older/established: 223, 308, 22 lr

Don't be blind-sided by the bench optics alone, focus on your iron sights and your field positions equally.

Don't get the urge to get into expensive stuff. Your Ruger American will do yah just fine. It'll take you through the remainder of your your teenage years and beyond.

I too have an under-dog Ruger American in 308, that will outshoot any of my other rifles. I'm currently getting rid of all the plastic stuff:

Swapped to anodized aluminum bolt shroud
Picked up cheap, used Accuracy International mags (the original steel ones, not the plastic imitation crab.
Upgrading to aluminum bottom metal.

I'm just waiting on an end-cut die grinder bit to fit the bottom metal. Love the stock so keeping it.

Less than $350 into this good steel and aluminum.

$100 is what I paid for rifle and scope.

Do the math on that young buck, you can't beat these Americans, so keep what yah got.......

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by ApolloF7
Ruger American predator 22in barrel

43 gr of Imr 4064 for the .6 and the .4 and some change group.

42.8 for the .4 exact group.

Hornady match cases not yet formed to my bore so maybe that will make it more accurate. They were trimmed to 2.005.

Hornady 168gr BTHP Match seated .020 away from the lands.

Sounds like you are doing it right. The proof is obviously on the targets. Very nice shooting!! I also run most of my bullets at .020" off the lands for reliability for hunting. I trim my 308 cases to 2.005" as well. Don't skimp on brass prep down the road either!!! That can make or break a load. Consistency is key to attaining good accuracy every time. You are also right about after your brass is fireformed to your chamber. Most generally it will be more accurate after you get some fireformed brass and start loading that. That is also when you need to set that sizing die up to just bump the shoulder back about .002".

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
You're getting good advice. Those ruger Americans punch way above their weight class accuracy wise. No need to spend more money to get less, sometimes that happens...mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Wow looks great, I came across the magpul hunter stock for a bargain, itā€™s aluminum bedded, fully adjustable and uses aics mags, itā€™s awesome. The main reason I bought it was because the stock I had was fde which is hard to find in the American Predator, usually itā€™s just the ranch that gets fde. I was able to sell the old stock for half of what I paid for the magpul. I do want to get an aluminum bolt shroud, how does it feel with it? When I first got it the action was kinda gritty and sounded like a zipper. I put some JB bore polish on it and worked the action 300-400 times and now itā€™s super duper smooth!

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Iā€™ll look into that, thank you sir!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Outstanding results. You probably need no further encouragement from anyone after seeing those loads and the rifle do their thing.

We all have our unique perspectives, reasons, and goals and you might be perfectly satisfied to just load for that rifle and use it til the sun don't shine. Then again, maybe not...it may bore you. If that's the case, find yourself something built on a 98 Mauser action or a Model 70, or maybe a Remington 700 that will take a little more work to get the most out of it. It depends on what makes you tick, so that may not be for you but if you find the idea intriguing you might find the journey to be very satisfying. There's really no limit on the directions you can go, so choose one (or as many as you like) and enjoy!

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Ok, if I were to get a new rifle or an upgrade as you will, I was thinking about a Tikka, Bergara or a Weatherby. Or possibly even having a new barrel made and adding a Timmney trigger. I like the idea of buying a new rifle and having it for years and making it my own prized possession for 50 years rather than buying someone elseā€™s.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Great job, my cheapest factory rifles produce some of the best groups.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Really a sight to see, before hand loading I was shooting factory loads from Hornady and Federal, the premium hunting bullets and just wasnā€™t impressed, my best group was 1.1 inches. I started handloading a boom. But then again maybe Iā€™m getting better, or my rifle barrel is finally getting its handle on things or a mix. I brought the Federal ammo and shot it after the hand loads and got a .77 inch group. Canā€™t wait to see where this rifle goes!

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Every once and a while you just come across an accurate rifle. While on your search for better, I'd say keep the Ruger you have, and don't be surprised if you have difficulty improving those groups a whole lot, even with more expensive rifles. However there is a lot of fun and learning in the search.

Steve

Theodore Roosevelt: "Do what you can where you are with what you have"
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

148 members (300_savage, 10gaugemag, 257_X_50, 29aholic, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 18 invisible), 1,634 guests, and 898 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,863
Posts18,497,203
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.