Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
Originally Posted by wabigoon
I've read, Federal ammunition was sold in barber shops.

That was in an NRA publication on the 100th Anniversary of Federal Cartridge Company.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by Lslite
My first store bought gun was a H&R Topper .30.30/ .20ga combo from Gibsons. I think the price was $49 bucks,still have it in the safe.I remember the gun counter guys and their patience with a young boy with no money,but would let me handle guns that I couldn't possibly afford.

Gibson’s Discount Center had the best & biggest Sporting Goods Dept in my home town. Huge hunting and fishing department. Bought the 2nd or 3rd pistol I had ever owned there in HS. A Ruger BlackHawk.

We also had Sears, Wards, Western Auto, and JC Penny’s that all had small Gun departments and a little bit of fishing gear.
I bought a Ted Williams Model 70 in 30-06 from Sears in HS.
And we also had the TX based Grocery Chain, Furr’s Super Markets that I worked for in HS that had a great Gun Dept. Bought a new Colt Python there my Senior year for $375.

We also had a K-Mart that had a crappy sporting goods section with a few guns but mostly fishing tackle.
We didn’t get a Service Merchandise until they built the new Mall, the year after I graduated HS. They had a small Gun Dept with not much of a selection of guns & ammo.

Still miss the old Gibson’s Discount Center. I think they’re only 2 stores left in TX. One in Weatherford and one in Kerrville. I don’t believe they’re owned by the Gibson Family, but they look the same. Not much of a Sporting Goods Dept, either, like in the 60’s and 70’s when I was a kid. 😬

Bought powder and primers from the Gibson's in the LaMarque store. For some reason they always had a bunch of new Mannlicher Schoenauer rifles for sale.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Small town here.

Western Auto
And
Local hardware store.

Location Western NC,
after alot of other places
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
First year I was in the Army stationed at Fort Lewis I went down to the Penneys in Tacoma and bought a Remington 700 BDL Deluxe 7 Mag... tried to buy a Smith and Wesson Model 29 at the same store a few months later, but they couldn't get them in stock due to the popularity of the Dirty Harry franchise. Salesman tried to sell me on a 44 Automag, but I wasn't interested at the time. Pretty hard to form cases for those in the barracks so I passed.

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I remember killing time in the JC Penny sporting goods department once while my wife was Christmas shopping.

I overheard a customer ask the kid behind the counter if the Model 94 Win that he was looking at was full or semi-automatic.

The kid said he didn't know and he would have to ask his boss.

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by cotis
Worst shotgun I ever shot was a Ted Williams 12g that had an adjustable choke contraption on end of barrel that you could screw tighten or loosen like a collet. It weighted a freaking ton, yet kicked like a rented mule. It was my father’s, I traded that POS for $140 at a gun show, added $100 at another table and walked away with a Browning bl-22 lever action. Still have that rifle and consider that the best series of transactions I have ever done at a gun show

My guess it was a Savage/Stevens, and the Poly-Choke was big in its day.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
In 1971 or 72 the Sears Liquidation Center at Belmont Hills in Smyrna, Georgia had about a dozen grade 2 Browning BAR rifles NIB for $169.99. My dad purchased a 30-06 grade 2 BAR. I killed my 2nd Whitetail Buck with it in 1972.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
My mother worked at sears as a young married
woman, and bought my father's first new rifle
with her employee discount. I used to have the
receipt at one time. Sixty some odd dollars in
the early 50's. I still have it. Took my 1st whitetail
with it.
They used to have catalog sales for about anything
you could imagine. I had a farm catalog, and
ordered some chicks, and later an incubator
and different feeders and waterers and such.
Probably some medicines too, but I don't remember.
I can remember shopping at monkey wards when
they were still thriving and had a real sporting
goods department. The clerks wore dress shirts
and ties and dress slacks

My real shopping as a kid was the local Gibson's
a few blocks away. They actually had a bicycle
rack by the front door for parking your bicycle
while you went in to shop

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Gibson’s had the best ammo prices here in N. GA back in the early 1970’s.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Nimblehunter: I have bought several guns from "Eddie Bauers"!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

IC B3

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
When I was in college in the mid 70’s I worked in sporting goods at JC Penny in Staunton VA and we sold lots of guns. I got promoted to men’s wear as the result of coming up with the warranty on Penny’s polyester pants…….

Guaranteed not to rust, bust, collect dust, wrinkle, ravel, drag, bag, sag, or make you look [bleep]!

They say I can’t say that anymore. May hurt somebody’s feelings.

Mackey

Mackey
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
TG&Y had guns, K-mart too

I got my Beretta 390 from K-mart

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by devnull
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by Mike_S
Forgot about Service Merchandise. Guns and reloading components. I remember 20 lbs of Red Dot powder under a dollar a lb. Lead shot $5 a bag. My dad bought a Charles Daly over and under skeet gun for less than $300.
Seems like just yesterday, Service Merchandise was cutting edge in retail. I have vivid memories shopping there. Might as well have been a week ago. Google says they closed their doors in 2002.

They were ahead of their time with mail order. Had it been today, they could've been the substitute for Amazon. Receiptless returns is some of what killed them in the 90s offer by Wal-Mart and later Target. They were on life support in the 90s. I always remember looking through their catalogs as a kid and seeing Winchester 70 XTRs advertised as well as the Marlin Camp 9.

Wilsons, then service merchandise…

You wrote down what you wanted, went to the register and waited for it to roll out on the conveyor…

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
When I was 15 I bought a surplus 1903 Springfield at Montgomery Ward for $29.95. No background checks and I carried it out of the store in my hands. As I recall there was no box but it was wrapped in something like cellophane and had cosmoline on it. This was in the mid 1960's.

I did some work on the trigger, cut down the long forend and put a peep sight (Williams I think) on it. I killed a number of mule deer with that rifle before I got something more modern.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Hairy_Clipper
I was 14 years old in 1966 and dad was lamenting his unsuccessful attempts at acquiring a Winchesters Centennial 1866-1966 rifle or carbine limited run and what may have been their first of a series of Commemorative Models of the venerable Model 94. The Centennial was built on the '94 frame and had a couple of features that brought back memories of the older days of the company most notably an octagon barrel. The receiver and furniture were gold plated to be reminiscent of Mr. Henry's brass designed contribution to the Winchester Company's fame in the early years. Dad had tried the area gun shops and was always told the factory was sold out and these mementos of Winchesters 100 years of operation were no longer available.

It was getting late in the year and I was paging through the Montgomery Ward Mail Order Catalog's outdoor sporting section and there it was, a two page spread advertising Winchester's Centennials for sale. I interrupted mom as she was consoling dad in his failed quest. Dad didn't collect guns, his arsenal was a 12 gauge Winchester Model 1912 with a Herter's Ventilated Rib installed on the barrel by a friend that worked in nearby Waseca, MN., this Model 1912 frequented duck hunting blinds and cornfields here on the Southern Minnesota Prairie hunting Ring-necked Pheasants that seemed plentiful during those drought years of the 1960s. An old Remington Model 14 pump deer rifle in .32 Remington that headed Up-North every fall, a Mossberg .22 semi-automatic that loaded through a port on the right side of the walnut buttstock that took rabbits and squirrels and a Colt 1903 Pocket Model in .32 acp that he kept in a drawer at his place of business. I found myself uncharacteristically interrupting their conversation when my teenage mind realized this two page advertisement was the very firearm they were talking about. "Dad, why don't you buy one from the Montgomery Ward Catalog?" That question and my interruption did not bring the chaos that I feared might happen, rather, it brought questions as to what I was talking about, I got up off the floor and took the catalog over to dad sitting in his favorite chair. It was Sunday night and we had been watching Bonanza. Surely Montgomery Ward's was sold out too! A very valuable lesson was learned that day, mom spoke up and said, "I will call them tomorrow morning and see if they still have any left?" They did, but, only the long barreled rifle. The buying pubic had scooped up all the Carbine Models the folks at Montgomery Ward had gotten in stock. The next day by the time dad had the Cities Service gas station he ran closed and was home for supper mom also had the order form filled out and a check written, the envelope's return address area filled in and a 5¢ stamp placed on the upper right hand corner. After supper she gave dad the envelope with order and check inside to review and make sure she had written in what he wanted to buy. He looked it over, put the order and check inside, sealed the envelope and my little brother and I got in the tu-tone 1958 Ford two door station wagon and we all went to the Post Office where dad got out, walked over and put the order in the slot of the outside drop box. Three weeks later mom called #52 and told dad that a somewhat long box arrived and that he might know what is inside it. Needless to say, when the gas station was closed for the day he didn't stop off for a beer at his usual watering hole before supper and we all sat around watching the package get opened. There was a special box and a heavy cardboard display inside with the Centennial. The Centennial was something to be admired to dad and he never fired it, although, there was always a full box of Super-X brand with the big red X .30-30 ammo in a nearby dresser drawer if a need arose. Seeing how much dad liked that rifle the Christmas of 1966 still to this day is one of my favorite childhood memories!

As for that lesson: You do not know someone else's mind or his inventory until after you ask your question, and only then if the person is honest!

Was the old man smoking a cigarette as he carefully opened the box?
I could smell it while I was reading your story!
Thanks for sharing!

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
No mention of Fred Meyer?

The Fred Meyer store in Nampa Id sold firearms and ammo in the early eighties. I never bought anything there. I just remember it was one of my stops on a regular patrol looking for a Winchester 70 in 264.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I've sold off a few of my jc Higgins model 50s and 51s but still own several. One of my favorite old school rifles.

Bb

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Bought my first shotgun from JC Penney in Fairbanks in the spring of 76 while stationed on Ft Wainwright. It was a Stevens 20ga pump. My wife bought my M70 375 from Longs drugs in Anchorage in the early 90s. Still have both.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
All the JC penny guns had [bleep] up carvings on their stocks why

D
dpd Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Yes . Sears, Wards, JC Penny ,Woolworth ‘s, Wilson’s , Gibson’s, K mart , Otasco’s, Weartern Auto, Murphy’s Mart and now Wal Mart .

Last edited by dpd; 03/12/23.
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

281 members (160user, 2500HD, 21, 12344mag, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 29 invisible), 1,768 guests, and 1,099 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,632
Posts18,493,023
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.