-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
In 20 years of reloading, I had my first instance of case head separation on extraction and badly flattened/blown primers. I know what it means, but I’m unable to diagnose it.

Rifle was a new Tikka T3 Superlite in .30-06. 57.5 grains H4350, 165 Accubond, WLR primers, new Nosler brass (new lot). This combo had been fired a number of times in this rifle without issue, always in colder temps (including this time). After the incident, I pulled the loaded rounds and verified charge, etc. doesn’t appear to have been an error on my part.

What was different this time was that when I initially sized the new brass, it appeared to be minimally sized or even undersized compared to previous lots. Is it possible that my load is close to max for this chamber, and the smaller case volume simply pushed case pressures over the edge and stretched case length past the breaking point for a couple of pieces? 57.5g H4350 and a 165 is a classic combo in the ‘06, but Nosler does list it as a max charge.

Chris
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
It's a max charge according to Nosler. I'd be a little leery of it, especially if you switched lots of powder. You didn't state if you did that, or if you have been using the same old 8 pound keg for years in that rifle. If it were me, I'd measure from the datum point of the shoulder to the base and check that against your fireformed brass (chamber of your rifle). Since it's a new lot of brass, I'd also be suspect of that. If the brass is way undersized right out of the box, I'd contact Nosler. It's probably a new brass/lot issue.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
BC3 Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I've never heard of case head separation on new brass. You must have been way overpressure. Are you SURE you loaded the correct powder? Was the bullet jammed into the lands? Bore obstruction? Have you checked the inside of the new brass with a paperclip? How hard was the bolt lift - did you need a mallet to open it?
Oh, and glad you were not hurt.

B
BC3 Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Like BSA suggested, I would check the datum on the new brass and compare that to a fired piece. If the shoulder was way way too short I guess you could have stretched the brass enough on the first firing to separate the head. That would also explain the flattened primer , but not the blown primer. What did the failed primer look like? Perforated at the firing pin strike, blown out the side? Any pictures of the case you can share?

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I've had this happen when I over sized new brass using a custom die. The excessive headspace resulted in some casehead separations, flattened primers. It looked like an overmax load, but was my standard load that I'd used before. The only "delta" was pushing the shoulders back too far.

“Might does not make right but it sure makes what is.”
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Due to the fact new brass is made undersized to fit 99% of the rifles that chambered for it, I never resize new brass. Can cause problems. Maybe neck size, but never full length. First firing I back off max 1/2 grain and fire form. Have also been known to COW it in the garage.

Swifty
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Swifty52
Due to the fact new brass is made undersized to fit 99% of the rifles that chambered for it, I never resize new brass. Can cause problems. Maybe neck size, but never full length. First firing I back off max 1/2 grain and fire form. Have also been known to COW it in the garage.

A FL sizing die will never even hit the shoulder of a new piece of brass. Again, where you get your info from is the question I have to ask.. You are swinging and missing a lot these days swifty..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Almost never, but I have run into new brass that needed a bump

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Swifty52

A FL sizing die will never even hit the shoulder of a new piece of brass. Again, where you get your info from is the question I have to ask.. You are swinging and missing a lot these days swifty..

Pot meet kettle........lol

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Man you be going to get the nickname of twiglette.

If new brass is not undersized why is it that SAMMI max on the brass is 3 thou shorter at the headspace datum point than the SAMMI minimum chamber dimension to the same datum point?

Swifty
IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Only problem I ever had with new brass was with Nosler. It had minimum dimension primer pockets that would not except federal primers. Your situation seems to be excessive headspace, whether because of the new brass or being bumped . Double check all the nosler brass and proceed with it with caution .

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
IME case head separation comes from headspace issues not over pressure unless you have set back the lugs which results in headspace issues. To put it more simply, you have a headspace issue.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you are loading to the max and shooting in warmer weather than that changes everything with a NON temp resistant powder.

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Like others have said, I'd bet your brass has the shoulder too far back for your chamber creating a headspace issue, might just be a case of tolerance stacking. I suggest:

1. Fireform by creating a false shoulder by necking up to a larger caliber and then necking down only enough to allow the round to chamber.

2. Back off at least 5% on your powder charge and work back up with the fireformed brass.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
So I went back and measured every new, unfired piece of brass in the same lot. I found three pieces that were .020-.025” shorter than my fired cases when measured to the datum. My fired brass measures 2.043” to datum, and the normal, unfired brass measures 2.041” to datum. The three pieces in question measured ~2.018-2.023!

I’m guessing that I had a similarly short piece in the chamber when I experienced the case-head separation. So, poor QC on the Nosler brass I guess?

I’ll be measuring new brass going forward.

Last edited by richardca99; 04/02/23.

Chris

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

543 members (1234, 1badf350, 1minute, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 57 invisible), 2,461 guests, and 1,256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,557
Posts18,491,741
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.