Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I’m going through a can of ammo that I put together out of odds and ends powders, and some bulk 75 grain BTHP bullets, and odds and ends primers. They all go bang in the gun, with the exception of the ones loaded with the Winchester primers. Those ones just get the tiniest little dimple on the primer. I assume it has to do with the hardness, or softness of the cup on those. Is that the correct way of thinking? Or could
It be something else?

GB1

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
most likely a headspace issue.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I'd check the case length (base to shoulder). Winchester primers seem to have softer cups than say, CCI. If the unfired rounds with Winchester primers are shorter than the others, you have your answer.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I had a similar problem, cases would go far enough into the chamber for the disconnecter to to unlock but the bolt wasn’t closed completely and the firing pin barely touched the primers. Cases weren’t completely sized, I could see where the bottom of the neck was stopping them from going in the chamber.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
I would be suspect if somehow tools or yourself doing it at different times with a different primers? that the Winchester primer somehow come out not fully seated. do the Winchester primers fire on the second or third attempt? without knowing exactly how all the different cases were ran at the same time or not and I'll just throw it in the same box it's hard to say

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The "tiniest little dimple" is probably from being chambered, not from the hammer hitting the firing pin.

Politics is War by Other Means
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
incorrectly sized ammo would be my thought. OR filthy chamber. Not allowing bolt to totally close but for the pin to dimple a bit.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I think it’s the dimension on the Winchester primers. It’s all the same full length sized federal brass. I tried shooting them in a 5.56 bolt gun too. Same thing.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Have never seen that issue, but doesn't mean you aren't correct.

The word federal brass, in 223 basically meant junk. At least years ago. LC made by federal contract is different but stamped LC as far as I know.

We would trade FC for scrap or once fired LC. Or if loading it, only one firing or at least 1-2 grains less than any other brass.

It was super soft. Wonder if its not a deep primer pocket federal issue rather than a primer issue? Your finger should tell you if they feel seated deeper than others... that would be a prime indication.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
oh yeah, rost ur on to something

primers not seated all the way will do the same thing. would there by any chance be a crimp on the primer pockets?

IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Ndbowhunter
oh yeah, rost ur on to something

primers not seated all the way will do the same thing. would there by any chance be a crimp on the primer pockets?

They were all swaged.

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Winchester primers have never been considered hard or thick cupped.

Federal brass has generally been soft.

I would be looking at headspace. If you bumped the shoulder back too far (softer brass) then that could be the issue. Get a gauge and measure a fired case against the cases that didn’t go off.
https://www.hornady.com/headspace-bushings#!/

Last edited by TWR; 03/16/23.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
WW used to have hard primers. When they were silver. After they took the nickel coating off they were soft and gave slam fires in the AR and we never bought another one.

Brass WWSR should be plenty sensitive to go off.

I agree headspace IE bolt never closes all the way is likely the culprit.

Especially since the pockets were swaged and not reamed. Incorrect reaming can deepen the pockets and an aggressive seating could seat them fairly deep. Though I doubt too deep to go off.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

532 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 1Longbow, 160user, 68 invisible), 2,508 guests, and 1,232 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,445
Posts18,489,618
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.