Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I eat groundhogs

NRA Life Member
H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
When I was a kid growing up here on the Southern Minnesota Prairie in the 1950s and '60s we took many hikes around the neighboring farms, woodlots, down old railroad tracks, county and township backroads. Never once did I see or ever hear of anyone seeing a a 'possum in the area! I never knew such a thing even existed until Jed Clampett and Granny mentioned it from the comforts of their green dining table with the long serving sticks! Fast forward to 1992, living on a five acre plot with a small house, barn and a few other outbuildings. One night one of the cats was screeching and hissing something terrible, I actually thought it was being killed! When I went outside I was expecting to see the cat engaged in a fight or being eaten by something bigger that it. But, no, it's back was arched , it's teeth showing it's tail backed-up against a tree hissing and screaming at what seemed at the time to be a figment of it's imagination! After scouring the area with the beam of my flashlight I came across what the Good Lord must think is the homeliest warm blooded critter he ever invented! Ever since that very first encounter, this critter that I have only heard residents of the Southern United States talk of must have learned that Minnesota not only has 10,000 Lakes, but, in addition 100 Bazillion Gaziilion Mosquitoes that can provide a Smorgasbord of eating 24 hours a day when the local temperatures are above the freezing point of water. I have a part-time job in my advancing years in which I drive a van daily when school is in session and put on rough 1200 miles a week delivering to school and then back home students in need of education. I now see 'possums walking in road ditches along 4-lane US Highways, along State Highways, County Highways and township roads! I have seen them in the suburbs of the Capitol City of Saint Paul! They must be a solitary animal for the most part, but, to expand the area population in an exponential way, besides the large litters the females have there must be more than a few girlfriends at hand and no natural predators that want to go near one!

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O'possum the other white meat 😋

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Daniel Boone didn’t wear a Possum Hat for a Reason

Nasty..

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wonder what they did to "Improve" it:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by High_Noon; 03/12/23.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
My maternal grandmother used to bake one as a tradition for “her boys” on Thanksgiving and Christmas along with the turkey. There were four boys and three girls in their family and growing up in the Depression they ate what they had.

They would catch one, put it in a cage and “clean it out” with corn and table scraps. I know I ate it at least a few times and it reminded me of dark meat of a chicken. 😁 My father and my uncles were all eating it so why not? As I recall it was pretty greeezy. 😊

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Possum?

I'd rather play it than eat it.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't want to be "that guy" but I helped you out here, Hairy. It makes it much easier to read.
kwg

Originally Posted by Hairy_Clipper
When I was a kid growing up here on the Southern Minnesota Prairie in the 1950s and '60s we took many hikes around the neighboring farms, woodlots, down old railroad tracks, county and township backroads. Never once did I see or ever hear of anyone seeing a a 'possum in the area! I never knew such a thing even existed until Jed Clampett and Granny mentioned it from the comforts of their green dining table with the long serving sticks! Fast forward to 1992, living on a five acre plot with a small house, barn and a few other outbuildings.

One night one of the cats was screeching and hissing something terrible, I actually thought it was being killed! When I went outside I was expecting to see the cat engaged in a fight or being eaten by something bigger that it. But, no, it's back was arched , it's teeth showing it's tail backed-up against a tree hissing and screaming at what seemed at the time to be a figment of it's imagination! After scouring the area with the beam of my flashlight I came across what the Good Lord must think is the homeliest warm blooded critter he ever invented! Ever since that very first encounter, this critter that I have only heard residents of the Southern United States talk of must have learned that Minnesota not only has 10,000 Lakes, but, in addition 100 Bazillion Gaziilion Mosquitoes that can provide a Smorgasbord of eating 24 hours a day when the local temperatures are above the freezing point of water.

I have a part-time job in my advancing years in which I drive a van daily when school is in session and put on rough 1200 miles a week delivering to school and then back home students in need of education. I now see 'possums walking in road ditches along 4-lane US Highways, along State Highways, County Highways and township roads! I have seen them in the suburbs of the Capitol City of Saint Paul! They must be a solitary animal for the most part, but, to expand the area population in an exponential way, besides the large litters the females have there must be more than a few girlfriends at hand and no natural predators that want to go near one!

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

"Social order at the expense of Liberty is hardly a bargain” de Sade
"He who'll not reason is a Bigot, he who cannot is a Fool, and he who dares not is a Slave."SirWilliamDrummond
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
We never had possums in Alaska. We did eat porcupine quite a bit. Agnes Taylor who was our adopted Grandma would cook them up the old traditional way of gutting them with a hatchet and throw them in the fire. The outside layers would be pretty well charred and the inside layers would be bloody. There would be a lot of grease in the process.

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
We make them eat lead chicken killin fugks

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by rem shooter
I eat groundhogs
Same here

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Buzzard food.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think those bastids rode the trains north, first time we spotted them was near the rails. Sure became a nuisance quickly.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
Originally Posted by kwg020
I don't want to be "that guy" but I helped you out here, Hairy. It makes it much easier to read.
kwg

Originally Posted by Hairy_Clipper
When I was a kid growing up here on the Southern Minnesota Prairie in the 1950s and '60s we took many hikes around the neighboring farms, woodlots, down old railroad tracks, county and township backroads. Never once did I see or ever hear of anyone seeing a a 'possum in the area! I never knew such a thing even existed until Jed Clampett and Granny mentioned it from the comforts of their green dining table with the long serving sticks! Fast forward to 1992, living on a five acre plot with a small house, barn and a few other outbuildings.

One night one of the cats was screeching and hissing something terrible, I actually thought it was being killed! When I went outside I was expecting to see the cat engaged in a fight or being eaten by something bigger that it. But, no, it's back was arched , it's teeth showing it's tail backed-up against a tree hissing and screaming at what seemed at the time to be a figment of it's imagination! After scouring the area with the beam of my flashlight I came across what the Good Lord must think is the homeliest warm blooded critter he ever invented! Ever since that very first encounter, this critter that I have only heard residents of the Southern United States talk of must have learned that Minnesota not only has 10,000 Lakes, but, in addition 100 Bazillion Gaziilion Mosquitoes that can provide a Smorgasbord of eating 24 hours a day when the local temperatures are above the freezing point of water.

I have a part-time job in my advancing years in which I drive a van daily when school is in session and put on rough 1200 miles a week delivering to school and then back home students in need of education. I now see 'possums walking in road ditches along 4-lane US Highways, along State Highways, County Highways and township roads! I have seen them in the suburbs of the Capitol City of Saint Paul! They must be a solitary animal for the most part, but, to expand the area population in an exponential way, besides the large litters the females have there must be more than a few girlfriends at hand and no natural predators that want to go near one!

Thanks, it needed that!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have never seen a possum---dead or alive.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

620 members (1beaver_shooter, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 219 Wasp, 1badf350, 71 invisible), 2,705 guests, and 1,295 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,830
Posts18,516,904
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.