Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Originally Posted by SLM
Since this is the hunting rifles forum, not the paper punching forum and you like pics, which rifle had to be switched out right before a hunt because of a bolt handle that came loose?

Keep trying, you might fool a few.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by 270jrk
We haven’t had a M70 vs M700 war in years now. Well done boys! Lets do this.

My vote is for the model 70. A much better rifle than the POS 700:

Find me a factory 700 that will print 3 shots into 3/4" at 400 yards.

Looks like you spooked the hole.........

HR IC

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
What does it say about a production rifle when you have 14 pages of aftermarket fixes and hacks in Brownells Catalog? The true cost of owning a 700, making it perform like it should have from the get-go, is buying all the aftermarket parts and pieces. PT&G I guess is making bolts...apparently with handles that stay on, that is quite a marketing concept. Judging from what is NOT in Brownells for 700's...I will readily admit that the ejector plunger, spring and pin are darn good, but everything else has a cornucopia of replacement pieces...so the market must be pretty brisk.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by flintlocke
What does it say about a production rifle when you have 14 pages of aftermarket fixes and hacks in Brownells Catalog? The true cost of owning a 700, making it perform like it should have from the get-go, is buying all the aftermarket parts and pieces. PT&G I guess is making bolts...apparently with handles that stay on, that is quite a marketing concept. Judging from what is NOT in Brownells for 700's...I will readily admit that the ejector plunger, spring and pin are darn good, but everything else has a cornucopia of replacement pieces...so the market must be pretty brisk.
Same could be said for the 870, Mossberg 500 or 1911.

Same for trucks, cars and Harley Davidsons, a lot of them being modified as well.

Most 700s probably don't need anything but as humans we can't keep our dick skinners off of things and have to modify everything.

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 03/14/23.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Same could be said for the 870, Mossberg 500 or 1911.

Same for trucks, cars and Harley Davidsons, a lot of them being modified as well.

Most 700s probably don't need anything but as humans we can't keep our dick skinners off of things and have to modify everything.
This ^^^
Remington struck gold in 1948 when they developed a receiver that could be machined on a lathe instead of on a mill.
And now there are more in the wild than any other, hence the parts availability.

B L M - Bureau of Land Management
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
You are saying it's mostly about sheer numbers out in consumer hands? Naw, I don't really buy into that, there are a fair number of model 70's out there...is there a cottage industry for model 70 trigger replacements? Extractors and businesses up grading them? In my experience, most of the time people replace bbls on a mod 70 is for changing cartridge. There are some great 700 bbls, but there must be a lot of dogs too, every major maker has a 700 pre-fit. Entire bolt assy for 700, 300 bucks, if they had any in stock. Then you need a bolt knob too. The 700 was designed to be built with a minimum of machine tool operations, manufactured easily, sold cheaply to the mass market...it's up to the consumer to make it perform. IMO.
I give up a fair amount of accuracy, add some weight, but for practical hunting, reliability, make mine Mauser. Every major maker has had to pay Mauser patent infringement fines, Springfield '03, Winchester 54/70, Enfield P14, 1917. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Production of ~6 million R700 vs ~ 2 million M70 best I can find.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You are saying it's mostly about sheer numbers out in consumer hands? Naw, I don't really buy into that, there are a fair number of model 70's out there...is there a cottage industry for model 70 trigger replacements? Extractors and businesses up grading them? In my experience, most of the time people replace bbls on a mod 70 is for changing cartridge. There are some great 700 bbls, but there must be a lot of dogs too, every major maker has a 700 pre-fit. Entire bolt assy for 700, 300 bucks, if they had any in stock. Then you need a bolt knob too. The 700 was designed to be built with a minimum of machine tool operations, manufactured easily, sold cheaply to the mass market...it's up to the consumer to make it perform. IMO.
I give up a fair amount of accuracy, add some weight, but for practical hunting, reliability, make mine Mauser. Every major maker has had to pay Mauser patent infringement fines, Springfield '03, Winchester 54/70, Enfield P14, 1917. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.
Because there is not a plethora of aftermarket support for Mausers??

Not nearly as many Model 70s out there as there are 700s.

As far as 700 bolt handles coming off, something tells me it is far less than 1%.

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 03/14/23.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A

"Perform"....I had an early 80's 700 adl in 30 06 that would shoot 6-7 shots into 1 ragged hole @ 100 yds bone stock, plenty of performance in my book!

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Ok, I've been Shooting this since 1985,,,,, with a few up-grades, and it's still getting it done here in Alaska in 2023.... cry
Lj cool

Attached Images

-[USMC 1st Mar/Div 7th Engineers, VietNam 69-71, Semper-Fi]-
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Originally Posted by AK375DGR
Ok, I've been Shooting this since 1985,,,,, with a few up-grades, and it's still getting it done here in Alaska in 2023.... cry
Lj cool

Hard to believe a 700 puts those kind of groups on the board.............

IC B3

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
There are Mauser aftermarket pieces out there, mostly cosmetic. I have strong opinions on this...every aftermarket Mauser( and Mauser type) part out there is a step down in reliability!
Most of the 700's out there will shoot rings around my Rem 30's, Mod 70's and multitude of Mausers, no question. If you are hunting in remote environment in bad weather (I don't call a rainstorm bad) and have spent a lot of money on your hunt...would you feel comfortable with your bone stock 700? Given the known problems of inaccessible uncleanable trigger group..ice or dust under the extractor C clip...bolt handle (ok,1%) coming off when bolt is iced up? 700's are not meant to be field stripped. A Mauser can be field stripped by a drunk, in the middle of the night.
Hunt your 700's in moderate climes, fairly clean environments, you'll have an accurate reliable rifle. Push the envelope, you will discover it's weaknesses.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan
Lj cool

Well, It does, and all day long,,, if needed, But,,,,, that's Not a Factory Bbl Rifling job,,,, read the attachment build notes above..... cry
Lj in Alaska.... cool

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Lj cool

Well, It does, and all day long,,, if needed, But,,,,, that's Not a Factory Bbl Rifling job,,,, read the attachment build notes above..... cry
Lj in Alaska.... cool

You don’t have to convince me!

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Lj cool

Lj in Alaska.... cool

You don’t have to convince me!

Ok, fair enough, but I thought I'd share this bit of information with you, since I see you call yourself an "Ackleyfan",, see my attachment, this is/was my Granddad's, my Father's and then my GunSmith, or as I was corrected one day, when Bob said he was a "Gunmaker" and as I found out later he was one of the Founding Members of the Gun Makers Guild of America, I also met P.O. at Bob's Shop in the mid-70's,,,, Dam, I miss those times...... cry
Lj cool

Attached Images
LJ's Remington M700 Gun-Smith (1).jpg (67.41 KB, 393 downloads)

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
The Mauser is a superior design to both the model 70 and the model 700 when it comes to rugged and reliable. That said I don't presently own a model 70 and my one model 700 is a paper puncher that does that nicely. My usual hunting rifles when I am not playing with leverguns or singleshots are Mauser actioned rifles with a choice of two Springfield 03A3's for backup. My varmint rifle is a Remington model 7 sometimes or otherwise a Savage 110. I could get rid of all the rifles not Mausers or Springfields except the Model Seven and do just fine.

Dog I rescued in January

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SKane
Well, let's get this party started. For the "M70 is superior" zealots; why isn't anyone else cloning it and selling the snot out of them? laugh

Because the M70 is a clone itself...

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I’d like to own a model 70 one of these days the safety has always put me off them.

The first Remington model 700 I owned in 1977 wouldn’t extract & was replaced with a model 77 that still is extremely accurate & reliable. My 22-250 700 SPS isn’t the prettiest rifle in the rack but shoots so well it’s a little boring.

I had a couple of Axis but don’t think I’d buy another one & didn’t care for the RAR I had in 30-06.

When younger hunters ask me what I recommend these days neither rifle action is American. I like the Tikka ant the Weatherby vanguard made by Howa better than Remington or Winchester. Both guarantee 1” accuracy or better as do a few rifles.

Using the wrong lubricant in extreme cold can cause any action to gum up & get a click instead of a bang.

Most Hunters like the idea of great bang for the buck & aren’t collecting pieces of art to be passed down for generations.

C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Like the new vanguard by weatherby. Bought one for son. Has a two stage trigger. Actually really like it. Super accurate with about anything we've tried. I'd say it's pretty close to a model 700 as anything. Even takes 700 bases.

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have, and own both 700's and 70's.

Have never had a 70 fail me hunting/shooting. Have had 700's break extractors and action lock up.

Got the extractor issue fixed, and the trigger/bolt lock up issue resolved with aftermarket trigger.

When I am on a more involved hunt, say Africa, AK, out of state or 7+day hunting camp. My Model 70 classics's get the nod.

Have everything I need, and do not see me ever purchasing another 700. But if a classic catches my eye, will never say never. grin

Arcus Venator
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
[
Lj cool
Lj cool

What exactly is hard to believe about it? I’ve had 700’s from .223 up to 300 RUM and shot many others plus one 700 in 338 Win Mag. I HAVE NEVER OWNED OR SHOT A MODEL 700 that wouldn’t shoot groups like that. Actually if I was just testing loads at 100 yards from a bench if shoot a group bigger much bigger than that I’m start trying to figure out what went wrong. Either I didn’t use proper fundamentals or something is probably loose.
I will say 99% of the ammo has been handloads.
The one model 70 I had shot that good with the first load I tried shooting 140 AB’s. I have a model 70 now that I will be surprised if it doesn’t shoot that well.
If a new production bolt action doesn’t shoot like that with handloads I’m ready to toss it in the river.

Last edited by ridgerunner_ky; 03/16/23.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

425 members (17CalFan, 160user, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 36 invisible), 2,057 guests, and 1,111 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,377
Posts18,488,445
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.