Print Thread
Hop To
Page 26 of 1,842 1 2 24 25 26 27 28 1841 1842
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Dave,

Just walked in 5 minutes ago its been a Long 17 hour day.. Don't ask I don't wanna think about it LOL...

Anyway, Great pics and I'm sorry to hear about the neighbors, like others have said just sit back and be patient with them. I would consider making the stand on the other line and see if they take the hint that your crowding them too. LOL.

Also on a side note consider if you will not sitting in the stand you have been with the guy facing your backside when he's there. Ya gotta think they could be ticked for some reason and t'd off brains aren't alway working reasonably even a fruitcase could be worse then normal fruitcase.

Pole Nice deer! Congrats.

GB1

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
I'm not too worried about the neighbor sittuation.

nice deer pole.

Jeff, don't run that BLR too fast, the train might come off the tracks!! wink

Something clever here.

E
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
E
Hey Guys,
Love the birth of a deer camp thread. Good times! Great job with that place Northern Dave. I like your philosophy of not worrying about the neighbor situation. Worried brains don't function too well either. Just be patient, life is too short. I think you can wait him out and he will determine that he is not going to get to you, which will result in him eventually giving up his irritating behaviors.

I also like the browning talk here. I hear you on the BAR and BLR, how about the BPR? I have been shooting a Browning pump 30.06 for a few years now and love the action. Don't even notice the short pump during multiple shot situations, it seems like an auto in that regard. Nice guns for sure. Take care.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've always thought that I could shoot faster AIMED shots with my 870 Rem Wingmaster 12 guage shotgun than I could with my semi-autos. It seems like pushing the forearm forward during the manual cycling action helps bring the muzzle back down from recoil faster. So, I agree that a pump may very well be faster than a semi-auto when heavy recoil is involved.
With my .270 BAR, I don't really lose the sight picture completely, I suppose because of the very modest recoil. So, I think its faster than pumps or lever guns. I shoot all the action types, so don't get me wrong; I like them. Perhaps its simply that I've used the BAR so much, I'm very used to it, and it fits me well. That could also be said about my 870.

Dave, I have just a couple of constructive (hopefully) critiques about your deer camp. smile I'd get rid of the frilly little rugs and rhino-line the floor plus a couple feet up the walls. And you can make some pretty sturdy furniture out of 4X4 pressure-treated lumber and them big giant deck screws (remember to pre-drill the screw holes). It can get pretty rough at deer camp, ya know. Also, you need to plant clover and turnips and such all around the shack for about as far you can shoot. Brings the deer in closer. Make everybody park someplace far away from the shack. You don't want them parking on the crops. Hope that helps.

There are many copies.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
rino line the floor....

deep hole... I mean Dpole.... smile

you sir are a genius!

how did that escape me??

I'm going to give that suggestion some serious thought.

and of course yes we will plant plots smile

happy turky weekend all!!!

Rooster7 & his wife stayed the night at the shack with us last night, we drank mass qty of smart juice & had a great time!1 Thatnks Jum & K for stopping & spending some time with us on your way through!! we'll have to do it again soon with the sleds!!!

Something clever here.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you decide to rhino-line the walls, be sure to leave one wall in bare wood, hopefully in a low-traffic area, for the knife-throwing contest.

There are many copies.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
jeesh, this is getting dangerous!! smile

Something clever here.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Dave,
It sounds like you had a great inogoral season. Dirty deer pole and all. Even a buck. The Boy sounds like he is quite a hunter.Tell him congrats on the buck. I shot a real long buck about 5 years ago. I had to fold the neck up so I could close the tailgate on the ol F150, a short box obviously but a +6 1/2' long deer is pretty long. Just rember, on 50 week to go and we'll be right back here.

Tom

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
There are plenty of drunk priests running around. Trust me on that one.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Got to see the shack-o-lacka first hand friday. Very, very nice! The woods are gorgeous and the drive out is very beautiful. The shack is very homey and once Dave gets that stove cranked up its warm as heck. The wife and I had a great time with Dave and his wife and kids. Very good people! Thanks for having us and we will definately bring the sleds up this winter! Can't wait!

Jim

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

IC B3

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I imagine Dave was smilin' like heck.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Dave contact Minnesota Deer Hunters Association when your ready to do food plots, they have seed already prepped for Northern Minnesota and at great deals. All the proceeds go to the Association for more projects.

Big Lake Bass on the FM forum will take orders come spring.

I also would recommend some mineral licks around and about I will PM ya a recipe we use.

I also love the rhino lined concept would love to hear that conversation with she who must be...

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
oh yeah, i was smilin like heck!!

it was fun, ole jim fell asleep in the golden marshmallow
chair...

Hey jim, wake up.... you should go sleep on a cot..... jim partially awake... giggling.... falls back to sleep.... hey Jim.... hey Jim wake up man..... you can't sleep in that stupid chair, the chiropractor's gonna get rich off of you.... there's a cot in there for ya.... nice one with a sleeping pad on it... Jim? you awake?

funny stuff!!

Yeah it was a good time. we cut a pickup load of firewood on saturday, we're set on firewood for quite a while, it don't take much to heat the place.

smoke pole hunting this weekend, who's coming up? Boy? you comin up???

Jim we're real anxious for you guys to come back up for some sledding too.

snow's on the way!!!

Something clever here.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
I tell ya....A few beers, a belly full of venison backstraps and a good WARM wood fire and I'll be sawin logs everytime! smile
I think if 'ol bigfoot would have come crashin through the door I would have just opened one eye and snuggled back into the golden marshmallo. Hell Bigfoot would probably join me!

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Grrrruuuunnnt, Bleeeeeeeettt, Gruuunt,

Sounds like you guys are still having fun up there Good for you!!! Still chasing deer down here though, missed a 160 class buck on TBird evening. Still kicking myself I should have known to hold alittle higher with my bow. The kids get another chance when doe season rolls around in a few weeks for firearms, till then I have bow inhand. Send some snow down here ok.. Grruunnnt, Gruuuunnnt Burp, Ooops there went alittle Crown and 7...LOL..

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Well the legendary yellow plow truck is back home from the shack for change over from summer truck to winter work beast.

The plow blade is once again mounted, up-down-left-right... good to go.

I'll probably change the oil, fix the brake lights, toss some of my tractor pulling weights in the back for traction.. and that should about do it.

let it snow!! ole yeller will keep the path open to the shack!!

We got some smoke pole hunt'n to do!!

Cold temps, fresh snow... we might not be done decorating that meat pole quite yet, 2 weekends of black powder to go.

Last edited by northern_dave; 11/27/07. Reason: spellin

Something clever here.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I hear ya on the smokepole season. Not getting to hunt here, being sick, now I'm getting the itch. I feel better and I want to kill somthing. I was a little worried at the WI camp, I really did not want to be there, but I now know it was the pnmeonia and the antibiotics that had me all screwed up.

We have a tzone, a doe season here coming up next weekend. I'll be there ready to hit the go switch on somthing.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
good luck man.

snowing again here today, I should be out there right now.

Something clever here.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Supposed to snow an inch or two here today too. Makes a guy go into preadtor mode doesn't it?

Makin ice today too...time to put a shine on tip up's.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Yes you should be out in the stand. I heard there is a 24 hour flu sweeping up hwy 32 at about 35 mph. It should hit your neck of the woods between 2:00 and 2:30 pm. sick wink

Page 26 of 1,842 1 2 24 25 26 27 28 1841 1842

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

537 members (1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 1234, 1lesfox, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 59 invisible), 2,272 guests, and 1,307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,389
Posts18,488,664
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.