Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Originally Posted by ridgerunner_ky
[
Originally Posted by AK375DGR
Ok, I've been Shooting this since 1985,,,,, with a few up-grades, and it's still getting it done here in Alaska in 2023.... cry
Lj cool
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan
Ok, I've been Shooting this since 1985,,,,, with a few up-grades, and it's still getting it done here in Alaska in 2023.... cry
Lj cool

Hard to believe a 700 puts those kind of groups on the board.............

What exactly is hard to believe about it? I’ve had 700’s from .223 up to 300 RUM and shot many others plus one 700 in 338 Win Mag. I HAVE NEVER OWNED OR SHOT A MODEL 700 that wouldn’t shoot groups like that. Actually if I was just testing loads at 100 yards from a bench if shoot a group bigger much bigger than that I’m start trying to figure out what went wrong. Either I didn’t use proper fundamentals or something is

probably loose.
I will say 99% of the ammo has been handloads.
The one model 70 I had shot that good with the first load I tried shooting 140 AB’s. I have a model 70 now that I will be surprised if it doesn’t shoot that well.
If a new production bolt action doesn’t shoot like that with handloads I’m ready to toss it in the river.

That was a heavy dose of sarcasm I was dishing out...........

HR IC

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by ridgerunner_ky
[
Lj cool
Lj cool

Hard to believe a 700 puts those kind of groups on the board.............

What exactly is hard to believe about it? I’ve had 700’s from .223 up to 300 RUM and shot many others plus one 700 in 338 Win Mag. I HAVE NEVER OWNED OR SHOT A MODEL 700 that wouldn’t shoot groups like that. Actually if I was just testing loads at 100 yards from a bench if shoot a group bigger much bigger than that I’m start trying to figure out what went wrong. Either I didn’t use proper fundamentals or something is

probably loose.
I will say 99% of the ammo has been handloads.
The one model 70 I had shot that good with the first load I tried shooting 140 AB’s. I have a model 70 now that I will be surprised if it doesn’t shoot that well.
If a new production bolt action doesn’t shoot like that with handloads I’m ready to toss it in the river.

That was a heavy dose of sarcasm I was dishing out...........

My bad ha.

L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by lostleader
I meant similar as in same ejector, extractor, etc. Maybe mfg.

Asking if someone who has seen both.

In other words is the new Remington a mimic of the Bergara.
No, completely the reverse. The Bergara mimics the 700
Hard to mimic the latest entry with the one there first

The bergara is a clone of the original 700. It does have a different extractor set up and some other changes.

The new remington "appears" like it will have same changes. That is why I'm wondering if the actions might be made in the same place. Wish both would use an M16 style extractor.

By the way, I have both Remmies and Winnies.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M

Do you wear Huggies? grin

L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Not yet, but at my age, I might need them any time now.

IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by specneeds
I’d like to own a model 70 one of these days the safety has always put me off them.

The first Remington model 700 I owned in 1977 wouldn’t extract & was replaced with a model 77 that still is extremely accurate & reliable. My 22-250 700 SPS isn’t the prettiest rifle in the rack but shoots so well it’s a little boring.

I had a couple of Axis but don’t think I’d buy another one & didn’t care for the RAR I had in 30-06.

When younger hunters ask me what I recommend these days neither rifle action is American. I like the Tikka ant the Weatherby vanguard made by Howa better than Remington or Winchester. Both guarantee 1” accuracy or better as do a few rifles.

Using the wrong lubricant in extreme cold can cause any action to gum up & get a click instead of a bang.

Most Hunters like the idea of great bang for the buck & aren’t collecting pieces of art to be passed down for generations.

The safety is why I like model 70's slightly better than the 700, it locks the firing pin not the trigger group. Far better to me.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mathman

Do you wear Huggies? grin
Not yet, but at my age, I might need them any time now.
Dependsies?

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I am a huge 700 fan and agree that I have always got very good accuracy from mine. I will admit, mine have been tuned by bedding into good stocks, free floating the barrels, adjusting or replacing the triggers etc. Nothing that's very hard to do and well worth the results. I was just working with a 700 in 7mm-08 recently. Shooting 140gr Nosler Ballistic Tips at 2850fps in a 24" barrel consistently into 1/2". Although that is exceptional, all of my 700s have been under 1".

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
The new Remington improvements consist of adding an "A" between the "RR"" serial number pre-fix letters.

4,5,6,7,A,B,C,D,E,F,G,S,TT,RR pre-fix serial numbers are now "RAR" pre-fix serial numbered w/no suffix letter as per RR's.

Same "short cam" bolt handle that was introduced in 2006 along w/ the XMark/Pro MIM'd trigger groups.
Same snap in .378",473" breech face & riveted .532" breech face extractors.

Keep 'em in the X Ring,
DAN
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Production of ~6 million R700 vs ~ 2 million M70 best I can find.

Well, a tube steel action allows for a rifle that is less expensive to make and sell.

And that wonderful trigger that gave rise to 5 additional manufacturers of triggers to replace the original trigger. Oh, did we mention Bankruptcy???

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rickt300
The Mauser is a superior design to both the model 70 and the model 700 when it comes to rugged and reliable. That said I don't presently own a model 70 and my one model 700 is a paper puncher that does that nicely. My usual hunting rifles when I am not playing with leverguns or singleshots are Mauser actioned rifles with a choice of two Springfield 03A3's for backup. My varmint rifle is a Remington model 7 sometimes or otherwise a Savage 110. I could get rid of all the rifles not Mausers or Springfields except the Model Seven and do just fine.

I have a Fieldcraft, a couple of tarted-up Howa Minis, a Baco M70, and three commercial 98s. Mostly I hunt the light ones, but the ones that are satisfying to own and shoot are the 98s, along with a couple of Browning 1885 clones. The mechanisms fascinate me, and the quality of the steel and machining make them a pleasure to operate. That M70 is very nicely done, but that pieced-together bolt is annoying. I’d gladly pay a good bit more for one built like the originals. My pre-64, now owned by my son, had that same feel as the 98s, even though as you say, it’s not quite as good in other ways, and it was a pleasure to hunt with, all 9 1/2 pounds of it.

Another favorite that I don’t currently own is the two-lug Sako. Can’t find anything to fault with those, except the current prices for nice ones. Possibly the finest factory offering ever.

Last edited by Pappy348; 03/25/23.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by viking
Nothing says Gaaayyy like a M700 in 270., FFS. totally screams AIDS.

Pard....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Dufur
I Flippin laugh at my CA mesa. DUAL PLUNGER EJECTORS!🤣
and barely gets the case out of the action. What a pos. My stock 700s and bergara ran laps around this dog in function and accuracy.

You must have got a real turd.Just bought one chambered in 7-08 last month. Last trip to the range it shot 6 groups consecutively under 1/2 moa (3 shot). Probably the most accurate factory rifle I've ever bought.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (10Glocks, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 1234, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 61 invisible), 2,483 guests, and 1,202 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,406
Posts18,488,965
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.