Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Rick99
My opinion is you just have an oversized chamber.
How does an oversize chamber occur?

"Every day above ground is a good day."
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Its in the manufacturing process but I can't tell you why it happens. I have noted a lot over the years in shooting Winchester levers in my earlier days.

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by petemacmahon
OH, and to add to this. I just went down to put the brass I took the picture of back in the Remington box and decided to check the other brass.

1) The bulge is more prominent on one side of the all the fired brass. One side is worst, and opposite that side is almost flat.
2) Remington brass must be thinner/weaker, because this malady is worse on the Remington cases than it is on the Federal loads I tried. Both are basically ballistic twins based on the info on the side of the box. While we all know that pressure curves are different for different powders, I doubt there is much difference between the two.

All this leads me to believe it's an out of spec chamber. Makes me want to try harder to get the barrel off for a chamber inspection.
I have a 99 takedown in 300 and the fired brass is just as you describe. I only reload the brass one time

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Southern_WI_Savage
My opinion is you just have an oversized chamber.
How does an oversize chamber occur?
That's my question as well because I used to have a 99 EG that also had this problem. Both of the 99's I've owned have had it. My sons 99F does not bulge the brass.

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
Its in the manufacturing process but I can't tell you why it happens. I have noted a lot over the years in shooting Winchester levers in my earlier days.

My 1899A 303 has a very oversized chamber. From the head to the shoulder is fine, but from the shoulder foreward through the throat is huge. I don't get case head issues with it, but it blows the shoulders way out of brass, and you can put a 32 cal bullet in the fired case mouths. Resizing takes some elbow grease.

IC B2

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
My opinion is you just have an oversized chamber. If you look closely at the two cases you posted you will see the case diameter has increased during firing back to the point where the wall thickness increases at the base.

I also don't think any of the photos in this thread show signs of head separation other than the diagram of how to check for it.

With heads space problems on a rimless case the upper case and shoulder expand and hold to the chamber walls. The rear of the case moves back to the bolt face which causes the brass to stretch length ways. Wherever the brass is the thinnest you will see the beginning of a shiny ring which as it gets worse will appear to be stretching within the ring. See the diagram in the above posting.

So we are in agreement. The operative question here is: How best to resize the brass? Use the fake shoulder trick OR get a small base resizer die (that is, if I can find one)?

Last edited by petemacmahon; 03/17/23.

Better to be judged by 12 than carried by six.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think you only need a small base die if your current one will not size the case so that the case will chamber.

I would back the die off an extra 1/4 turn and see if the case chambers. Work from there.

What you don't want is to find that you went too far (didn't size enough) after you loaded a bunch of rounds.

Since the chamber is a little out of round you might want to test your sized brass at 0, 90, 180 and 270 degrees.

Keep us posted.

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
This thread is very educational. Lot of very experienced people here and interesting perspectives.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 1Akshooter, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 1Longbow, 67 invisible), 2,468 guests, and 1,390 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,046
Posts18,500,919
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.