Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
N
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
N
Looks like we'll moving this spring/summer to the Appleton area. Wife accepted a job with the FDIC and it's located in that area. Any pro' and con's? I'm retired, and like to fish and hunt.

GB1

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
They make Kools Brothers silage blowers in Appleton, that is all I know. The best of luck with the move.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had an ex that’s parents lived in Appleton. That was 20 years ago it was nice at that time.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Some of the better Walleye fishing, smallmouth bass and Salmon/Trout fishing you could hope for, Lakes and rivers in every direction,

I’m not sure how hunting in Wi compares to GA,

You could find way worse places to move to.

Welcome aboard.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
My impression of Appleton is pretty much a blue collar city close to Lambeau Field. Nice enough.

Been in Appleton for the Mach IV Motors vintage MC auctions. Mostly roached out old junk but there're not making any more of those so the vintage mc guys like it. I bought a '72 Kawa F7 project at one of the auctions. Bid on many other bikes over the years but foreign buyers wanted them more than I did. Best to attend auction in person to eyeball some of the rare stuff that comes up.

https://www.mach4motors.com/

GOA
IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
The Fox river has been getting cleaner and better over the last 30 years... look over maps and you will see Winnabago, Poygan, Wolf River, Fox river.... and you have a lot of water that is under used in Door County including Sturgeon Bay.... watch some of the you tube video's of muskies they are pulling out of Green Bay and you will be amazed...

All the public land within 45 minutes of Appleton is over populated and useless for the most part... you need to get out an hour and half away before public land can be productive.

Start building preference points for Bear if you want one of them.... we seem to be over run with them up north.

you tube channels to check out , OB Outdoors, The Hunting Beast , JYang Outdoors

Plus... you can do this in the dead of winter.....

Last edited by mikieb; 03/19/23. Reason: spelling

Well... we have come to the point.... where... the parasites are killing the host. It's only a matter of time now.

They only win.... when they cheat.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Spent a while in Kaukauna, not far from Appleton.

The girls were pretty. A little big, but pretty.

Lots of skeeters.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Home of Miller Electric and Miller welders

Go Blue!!!

"Chances Will Be Taken"

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Appleton is a nice town but you are going to have to invest in good parka type coats and scarves you can wrap up around your face.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Westman
Appleton is a nice town but you are going to have to invest in good parka type coats and scarves you can wrap up around your face.

Or a hooded sweatshirt and a pair of testicles...

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
Spent a while in Kaukauna, not far from Appleton.

The girls were pretty. A little big, but pretty.

Lots of skeeters.

P
You described my ex from Appleton to a T. She was a bigger boned girl. She went to school in MN at ST. Cloud State on a soccer scholarship so wasn’t fat at all but wasn’t at all slender. Pretty girl.

We occasionally text. She did better than me. She’s married to an engineer at 3M that comes from a family with money.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That's a terrific part of the state to be in. Has enough conveniences and such that city living has to offer but without the crap that large urban areas are blighted with. Be mindful of how much your property taxes will be as you look for a place to live. A place right down the road might be lots more or less if they are in a different school district. Buy real winter tires. Make sure your vehicle cooling systems are protected to -30 or better. Great fishing in Green Bay, Lake Winnebago, and Lake Michigan. An hour North you are getting into the big woods. Best wishes to you in your new adventures

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Don't remember the name of the place, but when I was up there for 2 different Firetruck Build inspections at the Pierce factory, our sales rep took us to a cook your own steakhouse that was really good, especially since he was paying...

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, used up, worn out, bottle of Jim Beam in one hand and a .45 in the other, loudly proclaiming WOW-- What a Ride!"
C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
If you’re from Nahma, Appleton is just a stones throw away. Last time I was there it was a fine town. Head to the UP for hunting or north of A-ton. Small town and GB is just down the road.

You could do worse.

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
It's a nice place but as others said - pay attention to where you live - property taxes (a blight on WI) can and do vary depending on where you are.

Lots to do - good fishing in the area and a boat is not a bad investment. Typical walleye rig. 16-20 foot aluminum boat for Winnebago, Green Bay and all the inland lakes. Appleton has a decent Fleet Farm (DC is there) and Sheel's. Their Harley dealer is one of the best in the state, if not tied for best with Doc's in Shawano - not far away.

Weather wise - I've not needed more than a hoodie/flannel for the last 3-4 years. Snow volumes - lol. You won't need winter tires. If you can drive at all, I mean, as well as an average 16 year old - you an do all winter in a Mustang. It's nothing and the plow guys are good.

Mile of Music can be fun in the summer. I've preferred Appleton's Oktoberfest tho to that in the past.

Lion's Tail brewing - love their beers. Good Appleton place.

There are a lot worse places to land in WI than Appleton. 30-40 minutes in any direction is 30-40 miles so there's a lot available. Do not be scared to go out and do things all over. Door County is even close enough for day trips.

Mile of Music

Oktoberfest

Symco is 40 miles away and worth the trip when they do their thing. I go every year.

Me

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Close to Door County which has killer small mouth fishing. Talking small mouths that are short but shoulders like footballs. 5+ lbs isn't hard. (Fish a smoke Kalin grub as slow as possible so it's bouncing on bottom, stirring things up - pre-spawn. Looks like a Goby. Great way to get them in the boat. Put it this way - me, dad and brother landed 55 small mouth bass in 45 minutes one day in DC - Rowley's Bay)

Me

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
And if you prefer them on a fly rod - not too far from the Menominee River and guys like Tim who will be happy to put you on some meat.

If you prefer larger water - this is where I live, about an hour away

Me

H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
Wife works for the FDIC. Hmmm, does this mean that Appleton banks are in trouble and need her help?

Fairly close to Osh Kosh Air Show. Only 30 miles to Green Bay if you like football.

N
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
N
Thanks for all the reply's , we'll probably rent for the first year so we can take our time looking for the "right" place.
I have lot's of cousins n the U.P. who have already said they would fix me up with a place to hunt deer . Heck one of them has already put me on a lead for a 40 acre camp surrounded by National forest. I've got a few cousins in the Appleton area that I'm going to talk to also.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Everyone summed this area up pretty well. PM me when you get in town, and I'll buy you a beer

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

664 members (10Glocks, 17CalFan, 160user, 06hunter59, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 62 invisible), 2,606 guests, and 1,321 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,835
Posts18,478,088
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.