Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
My Lee 6000 press showed up a while ago....and we are having a hell of a time finding a spot for it.

Right now....my reloading set up is in our bedroom. It was always in that room...we just used to sleep in a smaller room before we had kids.

The old woman says its okay to mount another press on the bench but its already crowded.

So, I am thinking maybe a heavy portable type work bench could be set up in the living room so that you could load your rounds and then put the press in a closet until you needed it.

Is there such a bench made today that is sturdy enough to mount a progressive on? Something that folds up?

Thanks.

I am MAGA.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not sure what your current set up layout looks like - if positioning would work it might be easier to use one of the various mounting plate assemblies on the existing bench and put a plate on each of the presses. Swap out depending on the days needs.

Wouldn't get the warm and fuzzies about stability of any bench sufficiently portable to fold up into a closest when not in use.

J
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Yeah....I wonder if that wouldn't be a good idea too.

I guess lee makes a mounting plate for the bench so that you can mount and dismount your press when you want to.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hornady makes one as well. Would imagine Lyman does too.

Had the Lee plates before I packed up most of the reloading set up and sold off excess. Worked for what it was.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by hillestadj
Not sure what your current set up layout looks like - if positioning would work it might be easier to use one of the various mounting plate assemblies on the existing bench and put a plate on each of the presses. Swap out depending on the days needs.

Wouldn't get the warm and fuzzies about stability of any bench sufficiently portable to fold up into a closest when not in use.

This^^^^

I use this home made socket and plate setup. If the old bench is low enough a couple layers of plywood on top will allow building in a socket. Look at the old bench behind the white abomination. That white primed plywood was all I could find back during the covid bs. You can buy solutions like this but I'm cheap.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

IC B2

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E

Conduct is the best proof of character.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
My bench is similar to blindshooters' in that the presses are inset from the edge of the bench. Makes for more room to move around the bench when not reloading. Just be sure to leave room for full stroke on the lever.

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Here's a closer pic of an old bench I added plywood on the top to use the plates.

I have several presses all mounted to the plates. Makes it easy to swap presses around and with blank plates you can use the bench top for other things.

I have some small vises mounted the same way, mostly used for my gunplumbing efforts.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I have loaded a lot of rounds on a black and decker workmate with the press mounted on a plywood box that clamped to the top

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by blindshooter
Here's a closer pic of an old bench I added plywood on the top to use the plates.

I have several presses all mounted to the plates. Makes it easy to swap presses around and with blank plates you can use the bench top for other things.

I have some small vises mounted the same way, mostly used for my gunplumbing efforts.

I like that.

Carpe' Scrotum
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you've never used a progressive press before, they generally do much better mounted as solid as possible. No bench rocking or top flex or as little as possible.

Good luck Mr. Jim! (I know you have kids to keep in ammo)

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Doesn't Lee make stand alone Press Stands ?... Thought i seen one at their Company store, Titan Reloading in Wi (maybe not solid enough for a Progressive?)... I've got a Bonanza Co-ax mounted on a large basement window sill... It's solid as a rock and at a great working height if your standing

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
I use a Black & Decker Workmate at muzzle loader shoots, with a plywood top clamped to it. Screw a piece of 2X4 to the top and clamp it into the built in vise on the bench. Something similar with the presses mounted to the removable top would probably work, especially if the top can be stored on a closet shelf to avoid turning the progressive press sideways and spilling components all over the place. A set of ropes and pulleys to lift the bench top to ceiling height when it's not in use would also work.

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Workmate here! Mounted a 4x4 progressive and rockchucker. A little tight, but works great.

Retired USAF
NRA Benefactor Member/Golden Eagle
J
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by 7mm_Loco
Doesn't Lee make stand alone Press Stands ?... Thought i seen one at their Company store, Titan Reloading in Wi (maybe not solid enough for a Progressive?)... I've got a Bonanza Co-ax mounted on a large basement window sill... It's solid as a rock and at a great working height if your standing

Yes they do.

Some decent reviews online.

I am MAGA.
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
It went for scrap iron, I made a stand, angle iron a base, and some scrap top.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I made a base out of 2X4s (have to counter sink for the bolt heads) and C clamped that to the coffee table when I lived in an apartment.
Worked ok.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Harbor Freight tool stand, put a 2 inch wood top on it, attach your press and you're set

C
CVH Offline
C
I use the Inline Fabrication quick change plates. Very solid mounts.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Google - Murphy table / images.
Basically fold flush to wall when not in use.
Can make as solid as you want.

Be careful, the boss will want an ironing center the same way.

Roy

What this world needs is a few more Rednecks.

The Dildō Of Consequence Rarely Arrives Lubed

Waterboarding isn't illegal if you use diesel

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

421 members (1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 1minute, 10gaugemag, 1Longbow, 17Fan, 53 invisible), 2,782 guests, and 1,272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,112
Posts18,483,398
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.