Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
T
Tansun Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Lord does it hurt. Had a nerve block which ended Saturday, today the numbness is coming alive OWE OWE OWE Doc told me to sleep on me back with legs straight, I have never been able to sleep on me back, ever. Today has been a very pisspoor day for sure, swamped coats with pain meds in pocket, did not have meds with me today for 10 hours. Yes I know, most important thing, stay up on pain meds. It’s been a while since I have talked to the Lord as much as I have today.
Who else has gone threw the joys of a TKR, got any encouraging words to pass on?

"Know guns, no crime. No guns, know crime."
- Ralph Lauretano

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
The wife just had both knees replaced, one last year and the other three months ago. The first couple of days she had a fair amount of pain, but keeping up with her meds allowed her to get through that time. Afterwards keeping up with her meds and frequent icing made the discomfort manageable. Be sure to do the physical therapy according to your surgeon's recommendations including the home exercises. She's now walking pain free and has regained full range of motion. Good luck with your surgery.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Had to wait 6 months to have surgery due to ins problems. Knee getting worse all the time. I was hurting so bad before surgery that surgery was a relief. I felt great after and what pain I had was minor.

jimjr
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Haven't had to do that, so all I can do is wish you luck.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Tansun,

Hang in there brother - it will get better.
I had both knees replaced at the same time, which is rarely done (long story)
Sleeping on my back was a bitch, as well as the pain.
Typically never take drugs, but following doctors orders to the letter paid off.

As hard as it was to exercise, do compression stretches and move with a walker as soon after surgery it was key to improving.

Ice packs alternated with a heating pad gave some relief -

Last edited by moose95; 03/22/23.

There is room for all of gods creatures ... right next to the mashed potatoes
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good luck to you Sir. I am waiting on the VA to approve a TNR on my left knee. I know it will be miserable in the short term but it's the long game that I am aiming for.....

My aunt had both knees done, my neighbor had one done and they both are much better for it....

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Two brothers have had knees replaced. The weeks following the surgery were no picnic. But both said it was very much worth it.

NRA Patron
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Good luck

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My wife's scheduled for one in a couple weeks. It's hard to believe how many people there are with bunged up knees. We're constantly running into people who've had it done.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I had both done (not at the same time) it s painfull for sure.Take the pain meds as prescribed, do the exercises they gave you,and hang in there.
It will get better.

IC B3

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Start taking stool softeners now and drinking lots of water.

Do as much pre-therapy as you can now.

Google home made ice packs and make 4 or 5 gallon bag size. Ice will be you friend.

Hit PT with a vengeance. Yeah it will hurt but will make your recovery much faster.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Get up and get moving every chance you get. CrowRifle is right about stool softeners. Constipation is a bitch. Ice too, keep the ice on unless you are moving.
Move, move, move, get up and get going.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I had the TKR. During rehab a PA told me that 3 Motrin and 2 Extra Strength Tylenol provided just as much pain relief as one Vicodin.
That worked for me, I got on the Motrin and flushed the damn Oxycodone down the toilet.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I had TKR on my right knee about 6-7 weeks ago. I too had a pain blocker . 1 nite in the hospital and was feeling good for a day. Pain was comimg back, took a

couple pain pills , made me higher than a giraffes pussy, had to stop them. Went to tylenol. Got rid of the walker too soon, set me back.

My kneee was very bad , bone spurs inside , outside ,bone outta place . Much better now . I had to do it. shoulda done it 15 years ago.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Oldman03
Haven't had to do that, so all I can do is wish you luck.

Same here, and when the time comes I hope they have improved the procedure and product big time. Right now it looks like something Dr Mengele invented.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
In a few weeks you’ll be a lot better. In a few months you’ll be glad you did it. I’m 6 years out of getting both of mine done. Best medical decision I ever made!

Ron

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Orwell
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I had TKR a couple years ago. Went home from surgery with the pain pump. It lasted about 1.5 days before it ran out of juice. I never messed with it - just let it do it’s redescribed thing. I had a subscription for the pain pills but hate taking meds so figured I’d see how it was without them. It turned out to be fine so I never ended up taking any. It was a little uncomfortable but not any worse than the bones grinding against each other like they had been for a few years. At 48 I was the youngest patient my Doc had done TKR on but I was out of options. As many say - I wish I had done it sooner.

Hopefully your pain subsides. Don’t let it deter you from doing therapy - it is the key to getting back up to speed ASAP.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I'm a month out from my second knee being done. Had the first procedure last June. It has turned out to be a good improvement as that knee was bone on bone and had me crippled up. I hated doing the therapy but realized it was a must. I'm not looking forward to going through the procedure again even though I know it's required. My motivation comes from the knowledge that after the 2 are done there's a good chance I may be able to make a long dream "bucket list" hunt happen.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by CrowRifle
Start taking stool softeners now and drinking lots of water.

Do as much pre-therapy as you can now.

Google home made ice packs and make 4 or 5 gallon bag size. Ice will be you friend.

Hit PT with a vengeance. Yeah it will hurt but will make your recovery much faster.

This.....had both done 5 years ago. Stay in front of the pain with meds, stool softeners are vital, and loads of ice.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Tansun
Lord does it hurt. Had a nerve block which ended Saturday, today the numbness is coming alive OWE OWE OWE Doc told me to sleep on me back with legs straight, I have never been able to sleep on me back, ever. Today has been a very pisspoor day for sure, swamped coats with pain meds in pocket, did not have meds with me today for 10 hours. Yes I know, most important thing, stay up on pain meds. It’s been a while since I have talked to the Lord as much as I have today.
Who else has gone threw the joys of a TKR, got any encouraging words to pass on?

You’re gonna wonder why in the heck you waited so long to do it.

Good luck, Tansun and do your post op therapy with dedication. Pop a pain pill before each therapy session.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

207 members (2500HD, 257 mag, 338rcm, 160user, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 22 invisible), 1,844 guests, and 1,061 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,558
Posts18,510,470
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.