Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Thanks for hopping on here, you've got a ton of us rooting for you!

GB1

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by MRC_Ian
Hi Guys,

I figured I'd chime in- I'm the design engineer at MRC.

I know the Pic rail is a polarizing feature, but it's actually used to hold the receiver in our machining operation. There are plans to do a "slick top" for a proper, traditional look in the future, along with chrome-moly variants. We just had to start somewhere to get this out on to market. There are plans to add the 30-06 to the line up depending on demand. Big dog African calibers will be out eventually, but we have to focus on the larger sales markets before the niche. We've teamed up with McMillan for our carbon stocks, and the leading wood stock manufacturer for the walnut.

It's been a long road evaluating and designing this product (2+ years of R&D so far). Montana Rifle Company is now part of Grace Engineering/G5 outdoors, so there's a lot going on around here. Everything is machined, assembled, and finished in house with the exception of the stocks and a few screws/springs. Just check the website periodically for updates, or feel free to contact direct.

-Ian

p.s.- the rifle in the last website pic is an older, cast receiver Model 1999 (there were 2 casting sources previously). We've been so busy building and testing, there hasn't been time for new photo shoots :-)

Ian-

Welcome to the forum and the thread.

Do you guy sell barreled actions? I would like to use different stock that your factory offerings.

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Thanks for the warm welcome gents.

I'm a long time lurker in many forums, but don't have the time to be an active participant. I'm going off-grid later today for a week, but will try to stop in regularly to answer any questions. I don't want to do a sales pitch or anything without being a forum sponsor (yet?).

Quick answers to some questions/comments-
-Yes, receiver/bolt sets will be available for custom builders at some time; they will be offered with our M70 style trigger, though a Timney pre-64 unit will fit as well.
-The new 2022 receiver with integrated split pic rail is actually 3 oz. lighter than the previous cast slick top, so no worries of added weight.
-I (and the rest of the guys here) are fans of the old MRC rifles, but consistency was lacking. No opinion on their CS since I never dealt with them.
-Caliber list is always up for revision. If there's enough interest in a cartridge to warrant tooling up for it, we'll do it. I just don't want to diversify so much that quality suffers.

It's taken 2 years to get where we're at with MRC, The G5 Outdoors side of our company and contract machining currently pays the bills, but it's time to start recouping the investment.

Thanks again,
-Ian

Will you do custom work, ie build a "one of" rifle for a wildcat or factory cartridge?

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Hi Guys,

I figured I'd chime in- I'm the design engineer at MRC.

I know the Pic rail is a polarizing feature, but it's actually used to hold the receiver in our machining operation. There are plans to do a "slick top" for a proper, traditional look in the future, along with chrome-moly variants. We just had to start somewhere to get this out on to market. There are plans to add the 30-06 to the line up depending on demand. Big dog African calibers will be out eventually, but we have to focus on the larger sales markets before the niche. We've teamed up with McMillan for our carbon stocks, and the leading wood stock manufacturer for the walnut.

It's been a long road evaluating and designing this product (2+ years of R&D so far). Montana Rifle Company is now part of Grace Engineering/G5 outdoors, so there's a lot going on around here. Everything is machined, assembled, and finished in house with the exception of the stocks and a few screws/springs. Just check the website periodically for updates, or feel free to contact direct.

-Ian

p.s.- the rifle in the last website pic is an older, cast receiver Model 1999 (there were 2 casting sources previously). We've been so busy building and testing, there hasn't been time for new photo shoots :-)

Very glad to see that you are up and running. I look forward to larger bore, stainless, synthetic production runs. I am a fan of the machined in two piece rails.

K
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
K
Are there any pictures out yet of the McMillan produced stock?

Last edited by Keechi_Kid; 03/24/23.
IC B2

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by ldmay375
I am a fan of the machined in two piece rails.
So am I. Wish more rifles were made this way

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Since we are all putting our wishlist together….

Slicktop, blued, walnut, .250 Savage or 7x57.

PM me for my down payment info.

smile

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Great news! I'm looking forward to seeing the line roll out.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A

I'm a long time lurker in many forums, but don't have the time to be an active participant. I'm going off-grid later today for a week, but will try to stop in regularly to answer any questions. I don't want to do a sales pitch or anything without being a forum sponsor (yet?).

-Yes, receiver/bolt sets will be available for custom builders at some time; they will be offered with our M70 style trigger, though a Timney pre-64 unit will fit as well.
-The new 2022 receiver with integrated split pic rail is actually 3 oz. lighter than the previous cast slick top, so no worries of added weight.
-I (and the rest of the guys here) are fans of the old MRC rifles, but consistency was lacking. No opinion on their CS since I never dealt with them.
-Caliber list is always up for revision. If there's enough interest in a cartridge to warrant tooling up for it, we'll do it. I just don't want to diversify so much that quality suffers.

It's taken 2 years to get where we're at with MRC, The G5 Outdoors side of our company and contract machining currently pays the bills, but it's time to start recouping the investment.

Thanks again,
-Ian
This sounds very promising!

Good luck on your venture.

Dyin' ain't much of a livin' boy - Josey Wales
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Will lefthand options be coming

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

I LOVE MY COUNTRY IT'S THE GOV'T I FEAR
IC B3

K
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
K
I don’t have an issue with the machined in picatinny bases on a rifle like this. It’s eliminating a potential point of failure for a hard use rifle. I likely wouldn’t have chosen picatinny, but I understand it from a broad applicability standpoint. The Mauser I’m having built I chose for S&K ring bases to be machined, but I doubt that is what I would choose for a broad marketing option as a manufacturer.

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Looking forward to seeing their rifles hit the shelf. Solid company, with a reputation of producing high quality gear.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
I suspect an awful lot of the folks not enamored with the split-pic rail would do an immediate about-face were there a lightweight factory scope ring option with eccentric live-centers.........

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Here are some pics of the action I took while at the SCI convention.

It was my understanding when I talked to them that left hand would be an option

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Looks like a solid action in my book.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by ldmay375
I am a fan of the machined in two piece rails.
So am I. Wish more rifles were made this way
So am I!

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Is there a patient issue that keeps them from producing the recoil lug integral to the action? Not to be a nay-sayer but it looks like a lot of extra nooks-and-crannies where glass-bedding material will end up where you don't want it and/or create mechanical lock where it ought not be??

If there's a good reason to produce the action/lug in that manner I'm all ears.

I love that they're using the open trigger design.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H

Thanks again,
-Ian

Does the slot spacing between the receiver rings on your split rail match up to that of a solid rail, which would allow you to move scopes between the MRC and another rail equipped rifle? There are scope mount manufacturers that sell two piece Picatinny bases, but when mounted on the action, the slot spacing between the front and rear receiver rings doesn’t match that of a one piece rail.

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

Thanks again,
-Ian

If you want to build a rifle that will fit in with your Memphis, Michigan home base and will sell very good ....build a 45 Raptor 20" barrel 1-24" twist threaded 11/16"-24 for a suppressor.....you will have back orders from all the States that require under 1.8" cartridge.....
Hope you build one before I get to old....put me down for one I'll pick it up from the factory.....

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Thanks for the pictures.
I like it.

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

609 members (257Bob, 163bc, 160user, 2500HD, 10gaugemag, 257 mag, 54 invisible), 2,451 guests, and 1,199 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,784
Posts18,477,205
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.