-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
My cupboard has an over-supply of canned green beans and canned corn, so I h'isted-up my courage and decided to try to enjoy trimming the supply. Put a can of creamy corn and a can of green beans in the Vita-Mix, added a dollop of liquid smoke, a dash of Tabasco jalape�o sauce, a dash of salt, and a sprinkle of black pepper, and liquefied 'em. Yum!

A generous dollop of catsup (ketchup) made it even tastier.

Next try, a few slices of dill pickle. Maybe a packet of Lipton's onion-soup mix (got plenty of that, too). Probably at some point, some mashed potatoes. Maybe even some instant brown gravy.

This promises to be a good basic soup for all kinds of variations.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
glad it worked out! Too bad you don't live closer or I would most certainly bring you some of the swan & wild rice soup my wife made up with the T-Day leftovers!

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Rice! Good idea! Got plenty of that, too � and several kinds of beans, including pounds and pounds of Anasazis.

"Good enough" isn't.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We love jasmine rice or couscous.

"Courage is Fear holding on a minute longer."
-Gen. Patton
U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
in 2 of the last 3 random assortment hunting camps I've been in there was at least one guy with a side-business of growing/harvesting real wild rice. Seems to be a niche market for it. I've been gifted enough samples to become a believer. Real rice can sure add the flavor to a meal! smile

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
The friends who used to send me wild rice are old and forgetful � or dead � but my memory for good flavors still rejoices whenever I think back to those days. Lately, I've been rediscovering how tasty Mexican rice is.

"Good enough" isn't.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
If you're going to add pounds of beans, I'll stay upwind. sick
Unless I have some to fight back with. laugh

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
Ken, that sounds like a meal born out of desperation. I think the Donner party might have resorted to that after they ran out of dead bodies to eat. blush

Sam

Last edited by Mannlicher; 11/25/07.

Sam......

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Ken, do I understand that your throat paralysis is gone? If so, my joy for you is real, even though your own must be infinitely greater. No more pink stuff!

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think I need to make a trip out to see Ken and cook him something fit to eat!!! All southern of course!

-Gen. Patton
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Take some grits! Ken, if you read this do you want some grits from Alabama? Are you able to swallow food again? How about some roasted pecans?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Heaton Pecan Farm is booming this time of year too!

-Gen. Patton
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I can swallow sips of really hot or really cold liquid (sugar-free Swiss Miss, unchunky soup, my SOB tea, ice cream melted in my mouth) by sneaking 'em past my paralyzed epiglottis. If I try too much at a time, some of it may come out my nose. For anything else, I have to just enjoy the flavors and spit-out the rest.

It's gratifying to discover that some cookies liquefy completely and can be swallowed if I suck on 'em long enough.

I crush my daily small aspirin and drink it in hot Swiss Miss (the only hot miss that I can handle, these days! wink).

That's a lot to be thankful for after six years on liquids!

That experimental soup, born from curiosity and over-stocked cupboard, is delicious, even if it is unorthodox. In the immortal words of Pepe LePew, "Eef you 'ave not tried eet, do not knock eet." grin

I have a few "sto'-boughten" pecan meats and have made some into pecan butter in the Vita-Mix. Yum!

("SOB tea" = strawberry-orange-banana Crystal Light and unsweetened instant Nestea, plus artificial sweetener)

"Good enough" isn't.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by shootinurse
If you're going to add pounds of beans, I'll stay upwind. �

Not so much a problem with these Anasazi beans!

Colorado State University analyzed 'em and found that their carbohydrates that produce gas compare thus to their incidence in pinto beans (figures are Anasazi/pinto):
� raffinose � 0.36/1.37
� stachyose � 0.11/0.55
� verbacose � 0.04/0.21
� over-all: � 0.51/2.13

Besides, a teaspoonful of fennel seed in the bean water is supposed to tame those carbohydrates, anyway!

Another nice thing, FWIW, is that I don't have to presoak the Anasazis.

"Good enough" isn't.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Ken, my darlin' wife (of 47+ yrs) grew up in New Oraibi/Kykotsmovi, AZ on the Hopi Reservation (yep, she's full blood Hopi). Her father grew lots of the Anasazi beans before his death some years ago. She still has relatives there whom occasionally provide us with a supply of the beans. I love 'em! They do however, regardless of the CSU analysis, create just as much flatulence as my own pintos, speckled butter beans, or great northerns, at least in my own case whistle . My wife uses a dash of ground ginger in the bean pot to lessen the malodorous results that follow my enjoyment of her good home cooking. I'll have to tell her about the fennel seeds, Thanks! wink

Exercising maximum personal freedom means . . . accepting total personal responsibility...!!
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Another "secret" re beans and gas:

Cook 'em in a pressure cooker to get 'em thoroughly done without getting 'em too soft and mushy. This superb kitchen accessory also lets you cook beans without the old-fashioned all-night presoaking. I have three of 'em!

What's your wife's favorite Anasazi recipe? I'd love to try 'em Hopi-style!

"Good enough" isn't.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

527 members (1234, 007FJ, 12344mag, 1minute, 222Sako, 1Longbow, 60 invisible), 2,389 guests, and 1,299 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,794
Posts18,496,211
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.