Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Iclimb Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hey there, I just picked up another ks custom shop Remington, a model 7 in .223…kinda cool, but I digress…

So I have a few of these rifles and they are needing stock touch up work.

Does anyone know the paint McMillan used or uses and the color code for the grey? I would like to match this as close as possible, preferably exact.
I need to bondo some small chips and then re paint this particular stock. I’m not sure but it looks to me like it left Micky with a very thin coat of paint…

I believe I read that for the texture they used spray on bed liner, not sure if that was true….maybe this grey is nothing more than primer gray… it looks primer gray to me…

McMillan says they think they still could paint it gray for me….but if I can find the paint I could likely do it myself. In fact I prefer this color stock and I have others I would likely paint to match these. Anyway any help would be greatly appreciated… I know there are a few guys well versed in this subject! 😜

If at first you don't succeed; shoot, shoot again
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
McMillan used Polane for paint.

Forbidden Zoner
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
i would send it back to mcmillan i think they charge 75.00 last time i checked

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Yeah they’ve painted a couple stocks for me the last few years. At the time they were cheap and quick turnaround

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had McMillan replace the beat up pad on my KS and repaint it after years of hard use. They did a great job. That was about 10 years ago though...

IC B2

Iclimb Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
$140 to repaint per McMillan….
Kinda steep I thought

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Iclimb
$140 to repaint per McMillan….
Kinda steep I thought
Plus the $40 shipping each way, unless that price was shipped back. Did they say how much to redo a recoil pad?

Iclimb Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Last I had a pad done seems like it was under $100, was pretty reasonable….I’m a bit surprised at their updated pricing.

I feel like I paid $80 that included the pad….although as I type, I’m wondering if I am remembering correctly…might be worth an email to them.
I’ll send one.

Last edited by Iclimb; 03/30/23.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not the company they used to be for sure...

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
The paint they use, Polane T, is the most durable paint in the industry in my experience and is worth the price to have it done right the first time. Also, it is very toxic paint and requires a lot of prep work. It’s not something you can just buy off the shelf.

And no, the texture is not spray on bed liner…it is some kind of grit that is mixed in with the paint.

If it were my stock I’d definitely have McMillan redo it.

Leftybolt

Last edited by Leftybolt; 04/08/23.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That Polane-T (I have heard, but cannot confirm, that Duracoat? is the same stuff??) is bygawd the toughest “paint” (it’s actually a two-part chemical coating) out there, but even at $140, I think you’ll be better off sending it to McMillan.

You’ll need paint, catalyst, flattener, reducer/thinner (not regular paint thinner), not one of them cheap!, and the right gun and compressor, and you won’t get it right the first time. The pebbling is an effect done at the end (when the mixture is starting to set up in the gun) by turning the paint volume up, and the air pressure down. Again, you won’t get it right the first time.

You have about twenty minutes from introducing catalyst to getting the gun cleaned. If you let it set in the gun, you will play hell getting it operational later.

Last time I checked, and that was 15 years ago or so in another life, Polane was $70/gallon for the paint itself, not available in smaller containers, and, incidentally, no longer available in California.

Yes, you will need a respirator ( a real one).

With the caveat that Duracoat? may make the above now moot, trust me on this. Pay McMillan.

Edited to add: In that other life, I painted hundreds of McMillan stocks using Polane. I am not guessing.

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
Iclimb Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RickBin
That Polane-T (I have heard, but cannot confirm, that Duracoat? is the same stuff??) is bygawd the toughest “paint” (it’s actually a two-part chemical coating) out there, but even at $140, I think you’ll be better off sending it to McMillan.

You’ll need paint, catalyst, flattener, reducer/thinner (not regular paint thinner), not one of them cheap!, and the right gun and compressor, and you won’t get it right the first time. The pebbling is an effect done at the end (when the mixture is starting to set up in the gun) by turning the paint volume up, and the air pressure down. Again, you won’t get it right the first time.

You have about twenty minutes from introducing catalyst to getting the gun cleaned. If you let it set in the gun, you will play hell getting it operational later.

Last time I checked, and that was 15 years ago or so in another life, Polane was $70/gallon for the paint itself, not available in smaller containers, and, incidentally, no longer available in California.

With the caveat that Duracoat? may make the above now moot, trust me on this. Pay McMillan.

Edited to add: In that other life, I painted hundreds of McMillan stocks using Polane. I am not guessing.

Well, I have guns and compressor and I’ve used duracoat…so I have a few of the tools. Re: splatter, I spray tan my wife quite frequently so I do have the high volume/low pressure “splatter” effect dialed 😂

I appreciate the chime in…I have 4 stocks so I’m gonna see if they’ll do a bit of a batch special pricing. But yeah I’m probably better off sending them in.

Thanks for all the help guys!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

I love Mcmillan's paint jobs. They are very durable. I'd just do like you said and send it to them. I have one right now that I've been thinking about sending in because as much as I try, I just can't make them as nice as Mcmillan does. Not quite as durable either.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T

A shout out to Rick, he knows what he's talking about. He painted a stock for me, and it is every bit as good as the McMillan paint job.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

88 members (257_X_50, 7mm_Loco, 264mag, 280Ackleyrized, 300_savage, 13 invisible), 1,576 guests, and 883 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,538
Posts18,531,060
Members74,039
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.