Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
I am with TOM. Why pick a twist that I will never use the correct bullets for. I went the 1-8 twice. Never again. If I want to shoot 75 plus bullets with will be with a 6mm or above.

What are the correct bullet weights for a 1-8" twist barrel?

He obviously doesn't know.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by rickt300
How well did your 1-12 twist barrel shoot? If you are not planning to shoot anything bigger than 64 grains a 1-9 works pretty good. I did over spin some 55 gr. Hornady SX bullets a while back out of a 1-7. If your plan is under 300 yard target shooting and Coyotes then a 1-9 is just fine. I used 1-14 and 1-12 twist barrels for many years and didn't ever have a reason not to like them.

I shot some SpSX bullets out of a 1 in 8 twist 223 barrel...and they seem to not be hitting anything...

It was about 90+ degrees at the time, pulled the trigger on one, with my head looking over the scope, to see if the bullet was just coming apart. Pulled the trigger and the only way to describe the results, is out the barrel it looked like one's breathe on a 10 degree day, just like cold steam...

So I called up Hornady, told them what happened, and their response was that the bullet was designed fragile for varmints and could with stand up to 180,000 rpms... with the velocity it was moving out of my 1 in 8 twist barrel, he estimated that it was turning 360,000 rpms plus.... Well that certainly explains that puff I saw out the end of the barrel, even on a 90 degree day...

Did have some of those with me, when I was out by Applegate Reservoir, where it was very damp and foggy one day. The Reservoir is fairly isolated, surrounded by mountains and forest service land, so no houses around it either. I decided to stop and put a few rounds out across the water, with a mountainside back stop, 3 or 400 yds on the other side..

It was actually fun to watch. In the fog, you could easily see the bullet come out the barrel and come apart, and then watch the various parts zip off thru the fog and their paths for a good 50 yds... they didn't come apart, the bullet just exploded.
Parts flying up, down, east & west... gives one a good idea of what 'coming apart' really means...

it was exactly what you see when you watch a video of a jet hit by a missile and the plane just explodes...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
I shot the thin jacketed soft point bullets for years, Hornet designed bullets, Sierra's Blitz and Hornady's version, virtually all in between 45 and 55 grains, a lot of 52 grain bullets the Speer hollowpoint being a favorite. The odd thing is I was using the .224 diameter for just what it was originally designed to do, shoot varmints. I even shot a few deer using the Hornady flat based HP and SP 60 grain bullets and used the Speer semispitzer 70 grain bullet a small amount. Mostly out of 1-12 twist 223 barrels or 1-14 twist 22-250 barrels. Today my slowest twist centerfire .224 barrel is a 1-9. I don't shoot the old Blitz or SPSX bullets through it but it will tightly group Hornady's 75 grain BTHP. It also does well with the 50 grain Nosler Varmegeddon bullet. When the box of a thousand 75 grain bullets runs out I am going with a 69 grain bullet probably from Hornady.

Last edited by rickt300; 03/26/23.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Go on the Shilen website and look under “calbers an twists”. When I have a doubt, that’s where I look.
The guy that makes my rifles was the president of the National Benchrest Association. For what it is worth, he has told me that he gets the best accuracy out of a bullet when it is on the verge of instability. I never used his advice, as I never knew what bullet I would be positively using, but I did know what would be the longest, heaviest one that might be a choice. That’s how I have always decided the twist.

Last edited by Quartermaster; 03/29/23.

NRA Life Member

"You might as well be wrong, as be right and not know it"
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
This

it's not the weight

It's the length

Do a 8-9 twist & call it good

https://pac-nor.com/barrels/#

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

IC B2

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

517 members (10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 160user, 1936M71, 007FJ, 62 invisible), 2,427 guests, and 1,251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,444
Posts18,489,584
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.