Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
A
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
I’m currently in the beginning stages of building my first custom ride on a Pre-64 Model 70 platform. I already have the action ordered, a standard length manufactured in 1951. I’m thinking of going with a McGowen barrel, and have pretty much settled on Blackburn bottom metal. Where I’m still undecided is the stock. Ideally I want a quality synthetic stock that has a cheek piece with shadow line, as well as checkering. Looking at McMillan’s current offerings, it appears that the closest stock would be their Winchester Supergrade. This stock does not have a shadow line, and I’m thinking it may be a little beefier than I ideally want in a .270. I saw that they offer the Sako Classic, which has everything I want. My question is this. Could I order a flat top Sako Classic and have a smith inlet it to fit a model 70?

“Only accurate rifles are interesting.”
-Townsend Whelen
GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Yes, if they would sell you a flat top, you could. It will take the right guy, but I may have a suggestion for you. Back when they had more inlets available they would do the sako classic in a pre-64.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
That’s what I’d do.. order a Flat Top and send it to AK’s fella or Kevin Weaver.

Semper Fi
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If I am correctly remembering my conversation with McMillan from a few years ago you may need do do a little filling work at the tang area of the action on a Sako classic
to have a smooth transition there. That conversation was with Lynn. Not sure if she still works there.

Last edited by MikeS; 03/30/23.

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by MikeS
If I am correctly remembering my conversation with McMillan from a few years ago you may need do do a little filling work at the tang area of the action on a Sako classic
to have a smooth transition there. That conversation was with Lynn. Not sure if she still works there.
When I did a tour of the factory many years ago I was told the same thing when I asked about using the Sako pattern for a Mod 70.

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by AmericanEyes
I’m currently in the beginning stages of building my first custom ride on a Pre-64 Model 70 platform. I already have the action ordered, a standard length manufactured in 1951. I’m thinking of going with a McGowen barrel, and have pretty much settled on Blackburn bottom metal. Where I’m still undecided is the stock. Ideally I want a quality synthetic stock that has a cheek piece with shadow line, as well as checkering. Looking at McMillan’s current offerings, it appears that the closest stock would be their Winchester Supergrade. This stock does not have a shadow line, and I’m thinking it may be a little beefier than I ideally want in a .270. I saw that they offer the Sako Classic, which has everything I want. My question is this. Could I order a flat top Sako Classic and have a smith inlet it to fit a model 70?

Good luck with your build. How heavy are you thinking it will turn out and what barrel contour are you thinking? I see guys say "custom" when they may have been better off just throwing a factory featherweight in something like a hunters edge. The reason I ask is because I've seen a lot of guys say they regret going so heavy on the barrel contour, because they now have a tank, instead of a nice svelte hunting rifle. As stated before, by some guys here, the supergrade stock is a club. I have one and when comparing it to the hunters edge (hunters compact) or Brown Precision poundR stock, they are. I still prefer them over a pre 64 pattern Mcmillan though. The Sako with its huge cheek piece always looked overdone on a model 70 too, but that is a personal preference thing. What is this rifle going to be used for, if you don't mind me asking?

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Thunder_child
Originally Posted by MikeS
When I did a tour of the factory many years ago I was told the same thing when I asked about using the Sako pattern for a Mod 70.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This fellow is good at answering these kind of questions...

Josh Deards

Builder Development, McMillan Stocks

623.582.9635 | www.mcmillanusa.com | joshmcmillanusa.com

1638 W Knudsen Dr. Phoenix, AZ 85027

A
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by AmericanEyes

Good luck with your build. How heavy are you thinking it will turn out and what barrel contour are you thinking? I see guys say "custom" when they may have been better off just throwing a factory featherweight in something like a hunters edge. The reason I ask is because I've seen a lot of guys say they regret going so heavy on the barrel contour, because they now have a tank, instead of a nice svelte hunting rifle. As stated before, by some guys here, the supergrade stock is a club. I have one and when comparing it to the hunters edge (hunters compact) or Brown Precision poundR stock, they are. I still prefer them over a pre 64 pattern Mcmillan though. The Sako with its huge cheek piece always looked overdone on a model 70 too, but that is a personal preference thing. What is this rifle going to be used for, if you don't mind me asking?
I’m not sure what it will weigh yet. If McGowen will do a model 70 featherweight profile, that’s what I will do. I will mainly use it for whitetail, as that’s what lives where I do. However, it will be my first choice for all hunts unless the size of my quarry demands a larger round.

“Only accurate rifles are interesting.”
-Townsend Whelen
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
While a Pre-64 70 is never not fhuqking funny to start with,stating McGowen as a barrel "option",is hitting below the fhuqking belt! Hint.

You get (1) Free Pass,beings you are from Oklahoma. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
He is wanting to use a Mickey Sako classic.

Is he batting 0.333 then? In a more positive spin - there is one thing you actually approve of

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
EASY solve. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Roll a vastly superior S/S 700 L/A,poke it in that stock,opt a 1" Decelerator,chamber it in .284"-06,twist it 8" RPM in S/S and dots literally connect themselves. That as you fend your Feminine Hygiene Itch and "get" to Pretend to have a "clue",if only vicariously,as per your usual. Hint.

Better yet,go RHR ready to roll Outlander and be gunning come-ups in a coupla days. Pardon my shooting it all,as you set on the sidelines with mouth agape. Hint.

Next question? Hint.

I'm opening Mail now. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!..............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by MuskegMan
He is wanting to use a Mickey Sako classic.

Is be batting 0.333 then? In a more positive spin - there is one thing you actually approve of

Chicom rifle scopes, tirades, alcohol, and big BC numbers to look good virtually shooting.

Last edited by KenMi; 03/30/23.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
KenBitchAgain,

Perhaps you Slithering Snakes can "justify" your "living" vicariously,while "claiming" not to,despite following my EVERY word and Splendid Pixel...you "lucky" kchunts. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Here's to the fhuqking HILARITY,of your very WELL founded Insecurities,you Amazingly Inept Do NOTHING Kchunts. Hint.

I'm fixin' to unwrap and install a POS Pre-64 70 264 Win spout,upon a POS Pre-64 Win receiver,here in a bit. Perhaps you Melting Snowflakes can exchange Estrogen Levels and TikTok your sanctity,in the interim? Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.................

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Hold on you Couchbound Kchunts...I got a bite! Hint.

Now you gals figure out how to offset the costs. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.................

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That's "weird"...as mechanical dots are connected,Retards shut the fhuqk up. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.............

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Might wanna take a look at the Bansner Miller stock?

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Had a look. Bans er don’t list Miller stock for pre 64.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (22250rem, 160user, 1936M71, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 260Remguy, 62 invisible), 2,530 guests, and 1,250 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,479
Posts18,490,041
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.