Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by Trappererick
Originally Posted by pabucktail
What does the MPI stocked one weigh?

You know I never weighed the rifle, but I have another Ruger in 30/06 set up the same way except the barrel length is 18.5" instead of 20" and that one comes in under 7lbs with a Leupold 2-7. I would say that the 9.3 is pretty close to that same weight.

Neat looking rifle. I never paid any mind to mpi stocks. I’ll have to check that one out.

GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Two 9.3x62's both Ruger's. One is an RSI re-barreled to 9.3x62 with a Shilen barrel to match the factory contour and uses the factory rib and front sight. Second is a Hawkeye action with a 20" Krieger barrel, NECG rear sight with a running boar insert, and barrel band front with the WOW night sight all bedded in a MPI Mannlicher stock. I didn't even have that one 3 months before a good friend on Kodiak coaxed it away from me. Both rifles shoot the Speer 270's over a load of Big Game very well and the Barnes 250's over a load of Varget.

[Linked Image]

How far Downeast are you? I'm in Boothbay and have thought about that MPI stock for a while. Is there a texture to it for grip?

The way life should be.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by bluefish
Two 9.3x62's both Ruger's. One is an RSI re-barreled to 9.3x62 with a Shilen barrel to match the factory contour and uses the factory rib and front sight. Second is a Hawkeye action with a 20" Krieger barrel, NECG rear sight with a running boar insert, and barrel band front with the WOW night sight all bedded in a MPI Mannlicher stock. I didn't even have that one 3 months before a good friend on Kodiak coaxed it away from me. Both rifles shoot the Speer 270's over a load of Big Game very well and the Barnes 250's over a load of Varget.

[Linked Image]

How far Downeast are you? I'm in Boothbay and have thought about that MPI stock for a while. Is there a texture to it for grip?

I know BBH well. I work for the DMR and was at the Boothbay Lab for about 4 years. I know work out of the Lamoine Lab and live in Mariaville which is NE of Ellsworth up on the Airline.

I wouldn't call any of the MPI stocks I have textured but they are not slippery either. They were painted with zolotone and I have another that I rattle canned and I have no issues with either. I bet you could easily add some texture to the forearm or grip if you wanted more grip. I had Rick Steinhour from Extreme Rifle Works do both stocks for my rifles and he has two more that he is working on for me, one for a Ruger Tang and a Remington 700. I really like the MPI stocks and can only compare it to a McMilian Edge I have. The edge is thinner through the forearm but the MPI is lighter and feels better for me. If you are ever in the area let me know and you can check out the one on my 30/06.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Thanks. My neighbor is a diver for DMR. Crappy.in the winter he says despite.the drysuit. It looks like there is some drop between nose and heel of the comb on the MPI? Do you know if there is a limit on the barrel length they will.do in that stock?

The way life should be.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by 79S
Just a lowly model 70 stainless classic I had rebored to a 9.3x62. Don’t have any good pictures of it.

That's what I'd like to do. I've been keeping my eye out for 1 to have rebored.

Bb

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
There are some really nice rifles here, guys!

My pop had this CZ550 put together in 9.3x62 then had it stocked, express sights installed, etc. with the intention of taking it on one of our annual elk hunts. Unfortunately time caught up with him and although he worked up some great loads for it, he never got to take it up the mountain. Kinda sad that he's now at that age where he's selling such treasures as this, and your average gun show dweller won't appreciate such a rifle.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com] [Linked Image from i.imgur.com] [Linked Image from i.imgur.com] [Linked Image from i.imgur.com] [Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"Only accurate rifles are interesting."- Col. Townsend Whelen
"I always tell the truth....that way, I don't have to remember anything."- George Burns
NRA Life Member
Certified NRA Reloading Instructor
Certified Texas Hunter Education Instructor
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
That looks like an AHR upgrade number 3. Why would.you let.him sell it? That is a perfect.big game setup. Seriously. You'll regret it later.if he sells.it. Maybe buy it from him. Gift it to.a grandson or something but jeez.

The way life should be.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
That looks like an AHR upgrade number 3. Why would.you let.him sell it? That is a perfect.big game setup. Seriously. You'll regret it later.if he sells.it. Maybe buy it from him. Gift it to.a grandson or something but jeez.

The way life should be.
jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bluefish
This!

Awesome rifle, keep that sucker in the family or you (a grandson) will regret it - as Bluefish writes!

I wish I had settled on 9.3 rather than on .375 Holland and Holland Mag.

9.3's are almost always lighter & better balanced, damn near the perfect big game rifle indeed.

/John

Last edited by jpb; 01/14/23. Reason: fingers faster than brain without enough caffeine
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
P
I have owned two. The first was a Brno in 8x57 that JES rebored and rechambered to 9.3x62 and the second was a factory Steyr Mannlicher Model M Professional
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets
IC B3

K
K
Here is my husqy 146 (1939) 9.3x57.
It was pretty rough when I got it. Necg replacement front sight had to be filed on the sides to slide into front ramp dove tail and I built the rear sight. Most of the bluing was worn off so I re-blued with slow rust blue. Stripped the stock of all the nastiness and re finished with linseed oil and final 2 coats of wax. While it was stripped down I recut the checkering since it was very uneven and lightly cut. The web between trigger and mag well was cracked someone had taken out way too much wood when fitting the Romney trigger. That area was repaired internally as well as with two brass threaded rods and filed back to level. It was very hard trying to grind recoil pad to match due to the hack job that had been done prior to coming into my possession.

Attached Images
Last edited by Kfd518; 03/07/23. Reason: Spelling errors
L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
Appears to be a dandy 9.3. Looks like bolt has been altered/d&t for scope?

K
K
Yes it has been altered, someone had threaded it prior to my ownership. I need to machine that bolt knob down and blend it. Yes it is D&T.
Was wondering about load data and started searching when I got it. Called western prior to the hodgdon buyout and was able to get them to email me their tested load data. At the time they had all kinds of un-published but lab tested data such as that. Would love to know where all those records are after the buyout.

Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
I had a few 9.3's over the last decade but recently sold them all. Took a moose, a few deer, and black bear's with 285gr PPU SP loaded with 57gr of H4895 at 2450 fps. Great cartridge but for my type of hunting I kept on reaching for my 7 & 8mm's so they never got used much. I'll probably regret it though.

Here are a few pictures of the ones I've owned.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
1932 Vintage 1903 Springfield, original barrel rebored by JES. I got it for $100 at a gun show years ago with a rusty bore and a sporter stock with a lot of potential. Here's "before"
And here is "after". In addition to reshaping and refinishing the stock, I cut the LOP back to 13 3/4", added the red Decelerator and steel grip cap (not yet blued in the pic) and ebony forend tip, steel crossbolt and ebony caps on the crossbolt holes, Timney trigger and Jim Kobe fitted a side-swing safety. Swapped the old Weaver for a not quite so old Leupold 4x Compact.
Got it done in time for last fall's cow elk hunt:
Was plenty confident in the rifle:

Cheers,
Rex

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
TRex, nice darned work on that rifle.

Semper Fi
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
My CZ550 American 9.3x62. A favorite. Stupid with 250gr Accubonds over Varget in Lapua brass.

-JW
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Model 70 9.3x62

Classic stainless action.
22 in. Lilja barrel.
NECG sights.
Featherweight Super Grade stock with an added cross bolt.
Leupold FX-II 6x36 scope on Talley QD rings.

Attached Images
221077.jpg (20.4 KB, 85 downloads)
221078.jpg (31.09 KB, 82 downloads)
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (1minute, 12344mag, 219DW, 06hunter59, 21, 204guy, 61 invisible), 2,539 guests, and 1,235 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,603
Posts18,511,511
Members74,007
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.