-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I dont know about Wolves eating humans but they are doing a job on pets in our borough here lately. Two dogs eaten in 2 seperate incidents in the last month and another dog attacked yesterday morning. We got woof problems for sure and they dont appear to be too scared of humnas around here. It appears they are acquiring a taste for canines too!

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mr. bearhuntr:
Very nicely put sir!

Regards,
Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Had that problem in Fbx in the mid 70s too. Armed-guard parents at the school bus stop to protect the kids waiting to go to school.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Well put Bearhuntr. I wish I had the way with words that you and Klikitarik do. Nothing like a good educational smack down to open up minds smile.

Luck favors the prepared.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ironbender
Had that problem in Fbx in the mid 70s too. Armed-guard parents at the school bus stop to protect the kids waiting to go to school.

Thats what scares me the most, we got little kids wrapped in snow suits that arent very mobile at bus stops every morning and every afternoon, and if the wolves are bold enough to snatch a dog outa the back yard, I am afraid to see what happens when they find a bus stop full of little ins!

IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Aerial culling? And here all along I thought y'all used foxy chicks on snowmobiles!

[Linked Image]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yeah, well said Bearhuntr!

I don't think there's very many people who want NO hunting. Even down here in Oregon my anti-hunting friends concede that if they lived somewhere like, oh, ALASKA they'd probably hunt! :-)

Well, like it or not, you guys are the last area in the US to see the types of pressures that are changing (wrecking) the mainland west. It's coming your way and you aren't gonna like it. I grew up in NM and it was really depressing... same here in Oregon. I won't cast it in liberal/conservative terms myself, because it's much more nuanced than that. The real root of the problem is usually too damn many people! Hearing the justifications people make for just about anything, once they move into an area, is nauseating to us all. I'm sure you know exactly what I mean.

If global warming does actually happen, hang onto your hats up there because you will be under a microscope like you can't believe. Lots of critters up there that are very marginalized into corners in terms of the habitat they need, the habits they have, etc. The tundra starts melting, ice starts melting, holy crap there will be threatened and endangered species under every rock... if ya'll even HAVE rocks up there!

Anyway, you guys know way more than I ever will about this. It's interesting to read what you are typing. Thanks.

-jeff

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Jeff, it's time to be quiet for awhile. smile

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ironbender
Jeff, it's time to be quiet for awhile. smile

wink

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Sigh... back to lurking...

-jeff

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Let's see. I think it makes 4 dogs so far. 2 from 1 family several weeks ago, 1 on Turkey day on CHSR & 1 just last night. Interestingly, my wife works with the lady whose dog was taken on Thanksgiving. Originally, her husband took a shot at one but wasn't sure if he hit it. Turns out he did get one after all. From what I understand, there were 5 in the family - 4 large ones & a smaller one. Pretty evident they're running between Badger Rd. & CHSR - Potlatch Ponds area.
I've got a sled dog that I run with my 4-wheeler & we live just off Brock. I take him down by Potlatch Ponds at the end of Peede. Even tho we have houses surrounding us, I moved both of his dog houses next to the garage facing the driveway. Am leaving the yard lights on at night and the .44 is locked & loaded next to the front door. I think those wolves may well have been driven out from the upper Chena basin so came down this way. I don't expect the state to do anything about it so if they aren't shot, trapped or perhaps harassed so much they leave, I think we'll be in for more trouble later on. They'll just multiply. Since it's a family, Ya can't expect them to take on a full grown moose. A calf? Ok. But that's about it. Once they've tasted "puppy steak" that's it. Evidently they've cut across the Potlatch Ponds area since they were on CHSR last week 'cause the latest "hit" was over on Nelson Rd., not too far from my house.
Anyway, I picked up some extra gear today & I'm heading out in the early A.M. on the 4-wheeler to take a look with the 'ol .270 Win. We've got a waning moon & it's getting colder so I dunno, think it's gonna get tougher.
So, for now, ya'll take care. Later. Bear in Fairbanks

Last edited by Bear_in_Fairbanks; 11/28/07.

"Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes."
Amazingly, I've lived long enough to see a President who is worse than Carter.
And finally,
Gun control means using two hands.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Reminisced on those locations and road names...

Best of luck on the wuffs Bear.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
The cause of the wolves hunting in the CHSRd - North Pole area is the lack of snow. Moose are very dangerous for the wolves to hunt when the snow depth is so low. They can run and kick, and are usually healthier, due to mild temp.s and easy to reach browse. These snow conditions are hard on wolves....so they move to where the prey is smaller and pickins easier. Once the snow is deep enough to slow down the moose, the pack will move on to hunt their favorite meal....moose.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
The cause of the wolves hunting in the CHSRd - North Pole area is the lack of snow..... Once the snow is deep enough to slow down the moose, the pack will move on to hunt their favorite meal....moose.

Interesting hypothesis. I tend to favor your second, third, and fourth sentence. I do wonder about the first and last though.

Wolves are just like all predators. Their life revolves around a balance between the number of calories recieved from a food source and the number of calories used up in obtaining that food source. Add to that the ability to detect and discern danger (to a rather sophisticated degree I might add,) you are left with an awesome, wolf-efficient machine. I have a hard time believing that once habituated to an easier to catch, high caloric meal like Fido, Rex, or Boomer...they will stop just because of snow. What will make them stop is men taking away the ease of catching their domestic cousin in such an simple fashion. Shoot a couple of them or trap a couple. Then, remove the opportunity by bring Fido inside (take care of Fido, please) and they will move on. If the cost to the wolf is too great, and the fear of man put into them, they will probably leave on their own.

With that said, I'd like to come up and take a poke at em...but I've a few here to manage anyhow.

best,
bhtr

"You've been here longer than the State of Alaska is old!"
*** my Grandaughters

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
I just love these wolf topics. smile

I'm so lucky, our MN wolves would never think of harming a human.

MN forestry says so.

Them wolves up north are so uncivilized.

What a shame. wink

Something clever here.

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Deep snow winters are hard on moose and easy on wolves. Low snow winters are hard on wolves and easy on moose.

One December, driving back to Fairbanks, I passed through Muncho Lake Provincial Park, B.C., in the middle of a foggy night. The road runs along with Mucho Lake on one side , and the mountains rearing steep on the other. For a distance of about 5-6 miles, there were sheep and moose standing in the road, oblivious to me...in my Mother's Honda Civic. i had to reduce speed to under 20 mph....and, on occasion, had to weave among them. I didn't go more 1/4 mile without having to slow and carefully pass an animal much larger that the Civic, at close range. At the next gas stop, I talked with a couple of locals, who said that there was a large wolf pack locally .... and, nights that they hunt, the local sheep and moose get out on the road, where they have a better chance of fighting or evading the wolves....and the wolves, being the savvy tacticians they are, tended to concentrate on the easier victims in the deep snow.

The pack in this neighborhood is making a paltry living around here....If their whole diet depended on sled dogs and pets, the death toll and the outcry from an enraged citizenry would be overwhelming. Right now, the toll is almost incidental. Much of what the wolves are eating is refuse, manure, whatever garbage they come on, and then an occasional dog or cat. The wolves are just gettin' by. And when the snow finally comes, they'll be gone. That's happened in regular cycles of 5+ years...for the last 28 years in this neighborhood. They always leave. And are years coming back. They aren't going to become habituated....they're simply making the best of a bum season.

Take all sensible precautions....being armed is sensible, but being nervous isn't. I mean, at least they aren't bears....and don't require a .500S&W to dispatch them.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
My God, what's hunting and hiking without a little excitement. Snakes and bugs kill more humans each year than all the grizzlies, mountain lions and wolves put together. Protect yourself, kill them in self defense if need be, hunt and manage them, but don't exterminate them. Or put on a skirt and play in the city park.

Chuck

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Ghost And The Darkness

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Protect yourself, kill them in self defense if need be, hunt and manage them

Ah, there's the rub. The green side of the balance makes that so difficult or has in some instances made that impossible.

Yeah, protect ones self at all times, but some places it's illegal to do so vs. lion. No, really. It is.

Hunt and manage? Now there's the ticket. That's all folks are asking for. Yet some places they are off limits to any management program save one that's random and reckless.

That's why some recommend SSS.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by colorado
My God, what's hunting and hiking without a little excitement. Snakes and bugs kill more humans each year than all the grizzlies, mountain lions and wolves put together. Protect yourself, kill them in self defense if need be, hunt and manage them, but don't exterminate them. Or put on a skirt and play in the city park.

Chuck

colorado:
No-one is advocating extermination of wolves, but just a reduction in they�re number, in areas where they�ve become a problem, to people, to their prey, and ultimately to themselves. This is not easy to do, by any means.

It's been explained rather well in this thread.

Snakes and bugs can be so boring, but you can rest easy. Your life can remain exciting, while you trip the light fantastic, there in the park.
Smitty of the North

No amount of planning will ever replace Dumb Luck.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

That's why some recommend SSS.

"Super Sonic Shovelling?".....grins

bhtr

A.W.G.K.I.L....."a woofs godda know it's limitations"

"You've been here longer than the State of Alaska is old!"
*** my Grandaughters

Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

549 members (1minute, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 257 roberts, 59 invisible), 2,290 guests, and 1,223 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,683
Posts18,513,469
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.