Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
L
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
Hello campfire! Newer member here but long time lurker,

I have a Remington 700 Long Range 25-06 26" HB. I purchased this rifle new in 2015, I've put only a few rounds through it for barrel break in and sighting the scope on it. Outside of that it sits in the back of the safe unused.

I swapped the M40 medalist stock that came on it with the older small palm swell Remington/HS precision Sendero stock. I did not care for the feel of the large for-end of the medalist. It is essentially a 25-06 Sendero clone without the barrel stamp. I had the identical rifle growing up that was a true unfluted Sendero 25-06 that I took on varmint hunting trips.

My question to you guys would be, what would you do?

I would love to set it up as a dedicated varmint rifle but my opportunities to be in that environment are not as readily available as they used to be. I grew up in North Dakota and trips to the western side of the state and into eastern Montana for prairie dogs were quite common in the summers. I now reside in central Michigan and we dont have alot of great varminting outside of some coyotes and occasional ground hogs. I have also thought about a re-barrel into a lighter contour and setting it up for whitetail hunting. I just don't know if scavenging this complete rifle to make something else is the best option or if I would be better off selling it and starting with another sporter 25-06. I really like the caliber and how it performs. As it sits right now its just over 12lbs, no slouch in weight but it is far too heavy to be carrying around the woods on a whitetail hunt IMO.

I already have a few other calibers that cover pretty much anything in N.A. I have the desire to point at outside of a grizzly so this is kind of in the grey area realm. I'm at a loss, do I turn it into something that is more conducive to my area/terrain or keep it as is and "save it for a rainy day" on the off chance I will get back into varminting/critters.

Any and all thoughts are appreciated.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Seems to me you have a dedicated tree stand or antelope hunting style rifle. Basically not too much carrying and humping. Sitting and waiting or baiting where allowed.

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Or if you like consult your gunsmith as to the feasibility of turning down the barrel into a sporter contour with a sporter stock. Should turn into a 7.5 lbs 24" barrel rifle.

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Spending a bunch of money to turn it into something different - lighter— is probably not the best money decision, very unlikely you would end up recouping what you spend should you decide to sell.

If it were me, I’d keep it if it were a great shooter and buy something more suitable as a packing rifle. It’s a buyers market now, just look at all the good buys in the Classifieds, even for full customs…. Just my .02 cents.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
i have two 6.5-284s, originally a 25-06 700

IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by mslund
Hello campfire! Newer member here but long time lurker,

I have a Remington 700 Long Range 25-06 26" HB. I purchased this rifle new in 2015, I've put only a few rounds through it for barrel break in and sighting the scope on it. Outside of that it sits in the back of the safe unused.

I swapped the M40 medalist stock that came on it with the older small palm swell Remington/HS precision Sendero stock. I did not care for the feel of the large for-end of the medalist. It is essentially a 25-06 Sendero clone without the barrel stamp. I had the identical rifle growing up that was a true unfluted Sendero 25-06 that I took on varmint hunting trips.

My question to you guys would be, what would you do?

I would love to set it up as a dedicated varmint rifle but my opportunities to be in that environment are not as readily available as they used to be. I grew up in North Dakota and trips to the western side of the state and into eastern Montana for prairie dogs were quite common in the summers. I now reside in central Michigan and we dont have alot of great varminting outside of some coyotes and occasional ground hogs. I have also thought about a re-barrel into a lighter contour and setting it up for whitetail hunting. I just don't know if scavenging this complete rifle to make something else is the best option or if I would be better off selling it and starting with another sporter 25-06. I really like the caliber and how it performs. As it sits right now its just over 12lbs, no slouch in weight but it is far too heavy to be carrying around the woods on a whitetail hunt IMO.

I already have a few other calibers that cover pretty much anything in N.A. I have the desire to point at outside of a grizzly so this is kind of in the grey area realm. I'm at a loss, do I turn it into something that is more conducive to my area/terrain or keep it as is and "save it for a rainy day" on the off chance I will get back into varminting/critters.

Any and all thoughts are appreciated.
Sell it as is and get something that will better fit your needs.

B L M - Bureau of Land Management
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Why do anything to it, buy another rifle instead of spending money on a perfectly good rifle??

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You could always buy a Proof carbon barrel and have a smith rechamber to a cartridge to your liking, 270, 280 AI, 30-06, etc...

L
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
Originally Posted by TimZ
Spending a bunch of money to turn it into something different - lighter— is probably not the best money decision, very unlikely you would end up recouping what you spend should you decide to sell.

If it were me, I’d keep it if it were a great shooter and buy something more suitable as a packing rifle. It’s a buyers market now, just look at all the good buys in the Classifieds, even for full customs…. Just my .02 cents.

It shot very well with factory 100 grain corelokts, I haven't done any other load development with it. I agree about the resale with custom rifles, you likely wont get back what you put into them.

Originally Posted by hanco
Why do anything to it, buy another rifle instead of spending money on a perfectly good rifle??

I like the way you think, that still leaves me with a pretty unused rifle though.

I appreciate the responses so far, it sounds like I'm overthinking it and should just leave it alone and enjoy it for what it is.

Currently in the stable with it are 22LR, .223, 6mm Rem, 280 and 30-06. I'm pretty well covered for most things I have access to hunt (I think). I had plans to make the 280 into my main hunting rifle, tang safety M77 sporter and was going to work up a nice handload for it when the weather gets a bit better.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
It might be unused, but you still own it. I have a safe full. I don’t use them all, but can if I want to.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
They don't eat unless you feed them..

"Aim right, squeeze light"
" Might as well hit what you're aiming at, it kicks the same whether you miss or not"
NRA Life, GOA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Maybe a lighter stock and barrel trim could lighten it up to be more packable and usable. Im more in the camp of making what I have work for me than just holding onto something I’ll probably never use.

Semper Fi
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
I would sell the 25-06 and buy another rifle. This rifle should be very easy to move in my opinion

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
I agree with Jericho. But I'd wait a few months to sell it when the market isn't so low. Or send it to JES and have it rebored to 280ai. That might lighten it up a little bit.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Take the money you were going to spend on changing the rifle on an antelope hunt. You match the gun to the perfect prey tell the story of that perfect 400 yard shot for years after you are done eating that tasty meat.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I'd sell it and put the money toward a hunt.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I’d sell it, hold onto the money. You’ll get the itch for something new or different, soon enough

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Sell it.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Sell it. Buy what you want.

L
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
Thanks for all the responses guys!

It is just sitting for now, but likely will be on the chopping block in a few months if the market comes up a little.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

562 members (1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 1936M71, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 50 invisible), 2,493 guests, and 1,327 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,668
Posts18,474,754
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.