Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
On sizing dies have had several dies that moved once set screw was tight. Tried clamp style but die will move as you tighten them. RCBS went to a brass set screw that strips when its tight, tried a small lead shot with steel set screws.

Frustrating to have die move once its set and yes I use a witness mark.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I use split rings on all of my dies.

I know about them moving a bit sometimes when cinching them down but when set they are there.

I use a rockchucker press and it works.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Split rings are good. I saw one person use double rings before and it looked like he just tightened them together in the appropriate spot. It looks just like double nutting a bolt. I haven’t done that so I can’t say it works, but it looked like it would. I usually keep old dies for spares or parts so I may try that out some day.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Hornady

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Stammster
Hornady

Yep. Hornady sure lock, lock rings are what I use as well.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
The hornadys are great

MOLON LABE
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Forster Products Cross Bolt Die Lock Ring

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by dye7barrel
Forster Products Cross Bolt Die Lock Ring
+1

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Originally Posted by boatammo
The hornadys are great
+1

J
J
I've used Hornady, and RCBS with a plastic bead in them. I've never had a problem with them moving. But I just screw the die down finger tight. I do prefer the RCBS nut, due to tight spacing on t7 turret.

IC B3

B
BC3 Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
The Hornady die lock rings are my favorite. They are made out of steel and have wrench flats which come in handy for initial setup. If you want to remove them just back out the screw a bit. You can buy them in 5(?) packs pretty inexpensively. The Forsters are similar but made of some soft metal and don't have the wrench flats. The steel RCBS rings are okay but require a piece of lead shot underneath the set screw - repositioning the ring after deforming the shot is not as easy as the Hornady. Same with the Redding rings. I have dies from 5 makers and all of the stock die lock rings have been thrown in the trash and replaced with the Hornadys.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
In fairness, the Forsters don’t need wrench flats, as they aren’t tightened down against the press on a Co-Ax. They also don’t need to be made of steel (for the same reason).

For a traditional press, the steel rings with wrench flats are the way to go. For a Co-Ax, use Forster rings.

Originally Posted by BC3
The Hornady die lock rings are my favorite. They are made out of steel and have wrench flats which come in handy for initial setup. If you want to remove them just back out the screw a bit. You can buy them in 5(?) packs pretty inexpensively. The Forsters are similar but made of some soft metal and don't have the wrench flats. The steel RCBS rings are okay but require a piece of lead shot underneath the set screw - repositioning the ring after deforming the shot is not as easy as the Hornady. Same with the Redding rings. I have dies from 5 makers and all of the stock die lock rings have been thrown in the trash and replaced with the Hornadys.

Chris
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Me too. I replace all lock rings with Hornady, buy them by the dozen.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
If you use the RCBS style of rings with the lead "pill" under the set screw and have issues trying to re-set them, just loosen the set screw and give the set screw a rap with a rawhide mallet or other suitable tool. The ring will then turn easily. No muss, no fuss.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by foureyes4
If you use the RCBS style of rings with the lead "pill" under the set screw and have issues trying to re-set them, just loosen the set screw and give the set screw a rap with a rawhide mallet or other suitable tool. The ring will then turn easily. No muss, no fuss.

The problem with that poor design is the brass set screw. They strip out very easy. They are essentially garbage, but you can use them if you like. I (and others obviously) have moved on to the lock ring type like the Hornady sure loc. Once you try those, you will never go back. That is my only complaint about RCBS dies.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Me too. I replace all lock rings with Hornady, buy them by the dozen.

I do too^^^. It has surprised me how many Hornady lock rings I've bought!!! I didn't realize I had so many sets of dies. A funny tid bit though: I sold a bunch of RCBS lock rings on ebay. Guys buy those right up for some reason?? I don't know what they use them for??

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Forsters are great

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Tried most of them and ended up buying a bunch of Lyman. Beat all the others by a long way in my book.

Used to be bobski, member since '01
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I don't know why RCBS changed to those brass set screws, I've replaced mine with steel ones from the hardware store and a small lead shot. I used #6 because they were handy, #7 1/2 or #8 would probably be better. Having said that, I prefer Hornadys.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Hornady and Forster.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

80 members (arky65, afisher, Aviator, 35, AnthonyB, 01Foreman400, 8 invisible), 1,456 guests, and 747 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,594
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.