Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I’ve had two custom rifles built on p17 actions. One is a 9.3x62 set up as a scout and another in 458 Lott. They won’t make a lightweight but they make a solid dependable rifle.

Attached Images
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Seafire
I picked up a nicely done Enfield up at Cabelas in Potlandia, that was nicely set up for competition shooting.

The cost was fairly cheap, but the chambering is in Win 243 WSSM. I've got some brass for it on close out, but I've never done nothing more with it. I should rectify that....

Sounds strange.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by okie john
Originally Posted by Keechi_Kid
Use them for spot and stalk hog hunting. Will typically be making off hand shots on multiple pigs at 20-100 yards.

This sounds like fun. Every time I get into a herd of pigs, they scatter at the first shot. Then you get runners here and there as you kick them out of the brush, like working a covey of quail. With that in mind, I’m not sure that I’d customize the rifle. It was designed for fast handling and perfect balance, plus it has superb sights and about a mile of sight radius.

I’d customize the load instead. You don’t need 30-06 power to kill pigs inside of 100 yards. The M-1917 has a 26” barrel, so you could easily push a 150-grain bullet to 30-30 or 300 Savage levels with a light charge, and the weight would reduce recoil even more. With a stock rifle, I'd put a little white paint on the front sight, then practice running the bolt and topping off the mag without looking at the rifle.

Originally Posted by Keechi_Kid
It seems like magazine capacity will be higher. Looks like up to six rounds in the magazine instead of 4-5.

Yes, it holds six 30-06 cartridges. I’ve never emptied a magazine on pigs, but I have had time and opportunity to top one off. If you did empty the mag, you could reload a stock M-1917 quickly with stripper clips.

Okie John

Good suggestions. Sounds like my jack rabbit hunting days. Always kept the mag loaded. Nice to have the extra cartridges in the magazine too.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by okie john
The cost was fairly cheap, but the chambering is in Win 243 WSSM.

Whoever did that is going to Hell.

Okie John

Amen!!!

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Josh Sorensen
I’ve had two custom rifles built on p17 actions. One is a 9.3x62 set up as a scout and another in 458 Lott. They won’t make a lightweight but they make a solid dependable rifle.

There is no such thing as a "P17"

BSA MAGA
IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
United States Rifle, cal. 30, Model of 1917.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Keechi Kid;
Happy Easter and good morning to you, I hope that this Easter Sunday finds you well.

While I'm cognizant you've started the thread specifically about M1917 Enfields, I'm going to wander back and forth between them and Pattern 14 Enfields in my response.

My very first center fire rifle was a Pattern 14 which I paid $15 to a buddy for, but likely had to ride the tractor for about 4 hours to get that cash so there is that. I'm honestly not sure how many I've owned since that time 50 years ago, less than Lee Enfield variants but a fair pile came and went over the years. I'd say that I could count the Winchester marked ones I've seen on one hand, but the Remington are fairly common up here and Eddystone most seen variant.

There's not a bunch of difference between them other than the sights of course, the bolt face, the extractor is a smaller claw at the end on a Pattern 14 and the follower.

Just this past winter I started going through parts in the shop and found enough to put together a .303 with an Eddystone barrel which seems to be tight enough that initial fooling around with .308" bullets gave at least acceptable results. They were good enough that I'm attempting to install it all into a '60's Monte Carlo stock from some mystery long action which also has been hanging on the shop wall for 25 odd years.

The one thing you'll find regarding failures with either of the chamberings in the Enfield actions is that the little leaf spring for the ejector breaks. Before answering your query I had to dig through some stuff in the safe and see that there are actually 3 of them, one Remington marked M1917 and two Eddystone P14's.

The Remington marked M1917 needed the ejector repaired and I did it by replacing it with a small coil spring. The two Eddystone P14 rifles, one with a "sporterized" military stocks but otherwise unaltered and the parts gun I'm putting into that mystery stock still have the original leaf spring.

Anyways, a coil spring from what might have come out of a click pen got it running flawlessly once more so it's not a huge deal.

The trigger spring likewise can be replaced with something lighter, of course checking to ensure it's still safe.

Personally I always liked the safety location and function on those actions, it just makes sense and gives even less trouble than the Model 70 wing type, which are good, but I've run across a couple that didn't function properly which I can't say for an Enfield.

There was a Gun Digest article years ago, I want to say the author was Clarence Ellice, and he'd built a couple of synthetic stocked rifles on Enfield actions for all weather and all continents. They were in heavier cartridges, perhaps a .375 and a Lott? Sorry that information is lost in the data base at present.

A neighbor had a .264 Win on an Enfield action too now that I think of it, likely a Pattern 14 but I can't say that for sure.

Everyone has talked about the weight and while I did manage to build a 7lb rifle on a 98 action and by that I mean loaded, sling, scope - ready to hunt - I'd have to think that an Enfield is going to end up closer to 9lb and that'd be if you could find a 20-22oz stock for it.

The lack of aluminum bottom metal for the Enfield is what's going to add a half pound to it over a 98 I'd think, and for that matter I'm not sure the folks making the 3oz aluminum bottom metal for 98 actions are still in existence either?

I'd always planned to build a .375 or bigger on the one in the shop and truly they're grand for that sort of application. However one of the interesting things about aging and wearing out is that if one's shoulder begins to go out, both bows and heavy recoil seem to be less fun most days. That's why the one I'm playing with is a .303, there was a Pattern 14 barrel there which likely belonged to the stray action anyways and the resulting rifle is extremely pleasant to shoot.

Sorry, there's no photos yet as it's still a work in progress which gets bumped when house or yard work calls louder.

Hopefully that was useful to you or someone out there.

Good luck with your project whichever way you go and again Happy Easter.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
All weather finish, synthetic stocks shaped for off hand shooting, built light for carrying, and set up for fast bolt manipulation. Use them for spot and stalk hog hunting. Will typically be making off hand shots on multiple pigs at 20-100 yards.

So my thoughts with regards to potential advantages of a 1917. It seems like magazine capacity will be higher. Looks like up to six rounds in the magazine instead of 4-5. I think a cock on closing bolt gun may be a little faster on follow up shots.

I done a lot of this sort of shooting, and a rifle built on a P14/M17 action would not be my choice. The action is a big lump of a thing, with long throw, ideal for long cartridges. It is overbuilt for the sorts of cartridges you have in mind and not the choice for a light rifle.

If you want an action which better matches your criteria, a Lee Enfield No 4 suggests itself. It has a higher magazine capacity, and a bolt which, by reason of rear lugs (and therefore shorter throw) which are also angled, is very fast to operate. Cock on closing too. And it is rather lighter (there's the No 5 which is lighter still, but those are getting scarce). The No 4 has an excellent peep sight, and if you keep that rather than putting a scope on you can also throw more rounds in using chargers (stripper clips).

FWIW when I was about 14 I was working for a gunsmith, and I put just such a rifle together under his supervision: new barrel cut and crowned at 22", sporter stock, polished up and blued. A lot lighter and handier than the stock No 4. It worked well for knocking mobs of pigs.

The .303 calibre works well on pigs too. I do have a 9.3 and like it, but I don't think it kills any better on game this size. I have knocked pigs with everything from .22 Hornet up to .45/70, but I think cartridges like .303, and for that matter .308 and .30/06 work very well on pigs of any size.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have a sporter Winchester 1917, it was a cheap rifle to buy. I purchased it for $100 plus tax already rechambered to .300 H&H, bolt opened, rails made to feed, TG straightened, ears ground off, and converted to cock on open. I added a Richard's Microfit, scope base, and Timney trigger.

Here it was like I originally purchased it after I got a scope mounted.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Here is my finished product.

It shoots pretty decent with 70 grains of I4350 and 150 grain bullet. I've killed one mule deer with it, but honestly it's way too heavy to carry on a mountain hunt enjoyably.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Craigster
United States Rifle, cal. 30, Model of 1917.

Exactly. It was never referred to as a "P17". They had Pattern 14 Enfields though. Model of 1917: M1917

BSA MAGA
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by BC30cal
Keechi Kid;
Happy Easter and good morning to you, I hope that this Easter Sunday finds you well.

While I'm cognizant you've started the thread specifically about M1917 Enfields, I'm going to wander back and forth between them and Pattern 14 Enfields in my response.

My very first center fire rifle was a Pattern 14 which I paid $15 to a buddy for, but likely had to ride the tractor for about 4 hours to get that cash so there is that. I'm honestly not sure how many I've owned since that time 50 years ago, less than Lee Enfield variants but a fair pile came and went over the years. I'd say that I could count the Winchester marked ones I've seen on one hand, but the Remington are fairly common up here and Eddystone most seen variant.

There's not a bunch of difference between them other than the sights of course, the bolt face, the extractor is a smaller claw at the end on a Pattern 14 and the follower.

Just this past winter I started going through parts in the shop and found enough to put together a .303 with an Eddystone barrel which seems to be tight enough that initial fooling around with .308" bullets gave at least acceptable results. They were good enough that I'm attempting to install it all into a '60's Monte Carlo stock from some mystery long action which also has been hanging on the shop wall for 25 odd years.

The one thing you'll find regarding failures with either of the chamberings in the Enfield actions is that the little leaf spring for the ejector breaks. Before answering your query I had to dig through some stuff in the safe and see that there are actually 3 of them, one Remington marked M1917 and two Eddystone P14's.

The Remington marked M1917 needed the ejector repaired and I did it by replacing it with a small coil spring. The two Eddystone P14 rifles, one with a "sporterized" military stocks but otherwise unaltered and the parts gun I'm putting into that mystery stock still have the original leaf spring.

Anyways, a coil spring from what might have come out of a click pen got it running flawlessly once more so it's not a huge deal.

The trigger spring likewise can be replaced with something lighter, of course checking to ensure it's still safe.

Personally I always liked the safety location and function on those actions, it just makes sense and gives even less trouble than the Model 70 wing type, which are good, but I've run across a couple that didn't function properly which I can't say for an Enfield.

There was a Gun Digest article years ago, I want to say the author was Clarence Ellice, and he'd built a couple of synthetic stocked rifles on Enfield actions for all weather and all continents. They were in heavier cartridges, perhaps a .375 and a Lott? Sorry that information is lost in the data base at present.

A neighbor had a .264 Win on an Enfield action too now that I think of it, likely a Pattern 14 but I can't say that for sure.

Everyone has talked about the weight and while I did manage to build a 7lb rifle on a 98 action and by that I mean loaded, sling, scope - ready to hunt - I'd have to think that an Enfield is going to end up closer to 9lb and that'd be if you could find a 20-22oz stock for it.

The lack of aluminum bottom metal for the Enfield is what's going to add a half pound to it over a 98 I'd think, and for that matter I'm not sure the folks making the 3oz aluminum bottom metal for 98 actions are still in existence either?

I'd always planned to build a .375 or bigger on the one in the shop and truly they're grand for that sort of application. However one of the interesting things about aging and wearing out is that if one's shoulder begins to go out, both bows and heavy recoil seem to be less fun most days. That's why the one I'm playing with is a .303, there was a Pattern 14 barrel there which likely belonged to the stray action anyways and the resulting rifle is extremely pleasant to shoot.

Sorry, there's no photos yet as it's still a work in progress which gets bumped when house or yard work calls louder.

Hopefully that was useful to you or someone out there.

Good luck with your project whichever way you go and again Happy Easter.

Dwayne

Very informative post, as per usual. Great stuff Dwayne! I'd like to add some pictures to illustrate some of what you said.

Difference between M1917 and P14 bolts:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
M1917 on the left (30-06 bolt face), P14 on the right (303 British bolt face). Also notice the difference between extractors. Here's another view of the P14 extractor and bolt:

Now, some guys will use the military trigger on the M1917 and Enfield. My preference is for the Timney sportsman trigger:

When I was 12, I got my first M1917 and it had a Timney in it. I had to learn how to adjust that trigger myself because it was far too light when I got it.

You are absolutely correct about the leaf spring failure on the ejector as well. In most M1917 threads, I'll always mention that, as it about the only thing that really fails on a M1917/P14 rifle. As, that is always going to fail. It's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when. You might as well modify the original, or buy one that has already been modified. Here's a picture of one that is sold. Very similar to the one's I've bought. I've also modified them myself:

As opposed to the original design:

That is one of the first things I'd modify on a M1917 or P14.

Dwayne, I like your point about the bottom metal as well. I've often thought that if someone built a lightweight bottom metal to replace the factory M1917 bottom metal, you'd have a big time seller. However, no one has really done it??? Another thing to hit on is the mag box. They are extremely heavy and thick. However, they have to be somewhat rigid because part of the feed ramp is built into the mag box of the M1917. What I have done in the past, is drill lightening holes in the mag box. That sheds 3 oz's or so, not a lot, but a little helps. These are excellent, but heavy rifles. Very robust design, with very little failure points. Other than the leaf spring ejector previously mentioned.

I wonder if the OP is still thinking about building/using a good M1917 rifle? I would, as I've used mine for most of my hunting over the past 37 years. In my experience, they are exceptional for shooting offhand, they operate very quickly, are extremely reliable, and most times very accurate. I love the safety lever and prefer it over just about anything else (even my model 70's). Hopefully Keechi Kid keeps us posted. I'll be watching for an update!!!

BSA MAGA
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I found this 1917 .35 Whelen for sale today. Almost had to jump on it, but then he posted the weight and I remembered why I don't carry mine! Looks like it has seen some honest field use.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
bsa1917hunter;
Good evening to you sir, I hope the day down in your part of the world behaved and you're getting seasonally appropriate weather.

Thanks for the kind words and for the very clear photos.

They illustrate exactly what I was attempting to articulate.

The photo of the aftermarket ejector is great because anyone can use it as an example of how to make one on their own.

Thanks again and all the best.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Dwayne:

If you like the 1917 safety, you can find the same style safety on the Remington 725. And you won't need to put wheels on the rifle it comes on.

Just a thought.

Rem

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
It's worth wading through a snowdrift of campfire nonsense to get to a thread like this...WELL done and thanks men.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
I picked up a nicely done Enfield up at Cabelas in Potlandia, that was nicely set up for competition shooting.

The cost was fairly cheap, but the chambering is in Win 243 WSSM. I've got some brass for it on close out, but I've never done nothing more with it. I should rectify that....

Sounds strange.

Well it was nicely done I should make a dummy round and make sure it feeds.

Looks great, price was $300. I'd have paid that if the barrel was bad and needed replacing.

I LOVE the Enfield actions... Yeah, heavy, but they are also built like a 53 Buick...SOLID!

would love to run across a vintage Rem 30S, in like 25 Rem or 30 Rem.. one of my few Unicorn rifles, I'd put money on, for my age.

Next time I pass thru Winnemucca, I'll try to remember to bring it with me...Let ya look at it and tell me what ya think.
In advance tho, It's NOT for sale.

Maybe I should look up Flintlocke, who lives just south of me and let him look at it and tells me what he thinks..
an excuse because I'd actually like to meet the guy...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

Last edited by butchlambert1; 04/14/23.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Josh Sorensen

I'd imagine that the conversion to 9.3x62 was straightforward? Just a rechamber & rebore perhaps?

Regards, Guy

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Yes, this thread is a couple of months old, but I need to tell Dwayne (no PM yet) that if he needs any parts for an M17 or P14, I have a box load of just about everything. The M19 bolts with the .30-'06 face, or the P14 for the .303 and magnum face, striker springs, bottom metals, safety parts, triggers, bolts, extractors, shrouds, etc. Some new, some older than dirt. They are a phone call away.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Sounds strange.

Well it was nicely done I should make a dummy round and make sure it feeds.

Looks great, price was $300. I'd have paid that if the barrel was bad and needed replacing.

I LOVE the Enfield actions... Yeah, heavy, but they are also built like a 53 Buick...SOLID!

would love to run across a vintage Rem 30S, in like 25 Rem or 30 Rem.. one of my few Unicorn rifles, I'd put money on, for my age.

Next time I pass thru Winnemucca, I'll try to remember to bring it with me...Let ya look at it and tell me what ya think.
In advance tho, It's NOT for sale.

Maybe I should look up Flintlocke, who lives just south of me and let him look at it and tells me what he thinks..
an excuse because I'd actually like to meet the guy...

Sounds like a plan. A good one at that. I'd love to see it. Maybe you and flintlocke can find out how to post pics and show it off. I know I used to run across plenty of m1917's that were sporterized. I don't think 1/2 of them were done right, so I always walked, but there have been a few that went home with me and I have never had a single regret owning a 1917. They are rock solid rifles. One of my favorite hunting weapons for sure. I'll gladly take them out, when everything else stays at home. I know I'll have absolutely zero issues with them out in the field. I'd hunt from here to Africa with one. Set out on foot from here and walk there and back with zero issues.

BSA MAGA
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

670 members (10Glocks, 160user, 06hunter59, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 70 invisible), 2,732 guests, and 1,441 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,100
Posts18,483,097
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.