Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Very nice rifles you have there. I think the Pounder without Kevlar has always been available---just straight fiberglass---and you're right the Kevlar is a pain in the ass to grind and cut. IMHO, they should use Carbon Fiber and fiberglass rather than Kevlar because Kevlar does not add stiffness.

Last edited by Tarquin; 04/08/23.

Tarquin
GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Tarquin
Very nice rifles you have there. I think the Pounder without Kevlar has always been available---just straight fiberglass---and you're right the Kevlar is a pain in the ass to grind and cut. IMHO, they should use Carbon Fiber and fiberglass rather than Kevlar because Kevlar does not add stiffness.

It has. It’s just not called the pounder.

It’s the Kevlar that drops the weight of the blank to 16 ounces or below.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by AKwolverine

It has. It’s just not called the pounder.

It’s the Kevlar that drops the weight of the blank to 16 ounces or below.

Got it.

Tarquin
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I love that 300 Wby BSA. That sucker is just about my perfect blueprint.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by beretzs
I love that 300 Wby BSA. That sucker is just about my perfect blueprint.

Thanks buddy. It is weird because it weighs exactly the same as my 338wm. The 300wby has the original 300H&H pre 64 barrel on it too. With the PoundR stock, it mitigates the recoil of both cartridges very well. When I first got the rifle, I had imagined putting it in the same stock as my 338wm. As luck would have it, I found one 3 years later. Ebay of all places. That guy really didn't know what he had, but the guys that were bidding on it, knew. I only made 1 bid on that stock, but it was enough to get it at the last second. It does feel better in the hand now and is much lighter. More like a scoped featherweight, than a heavy magnum..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Sorry, but having both, I'll strongly disagree with you on this. The kevlar adds a lot of strength. I'd take one of those over a graphite shell/carbon fiber stock any day of the week and twice on Sunday. Especially on an Easter Sunday. Until you have one with kevlar in it, you won't understand what I'm saying. Also, I'm not sure what you are referring to as a "PoundR" is really a PoundR stock. You may want to check into that. As I was only aware of the ones made with Kevlar. Maybe yours is a unicorn??

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Looking at my work order from Browns my stock was $995 plus $329 for the kevlar and another $75 for graphite. This was fully finished and bedded with a decelerator which pushed the weight to 23 ounces.

My FN Mauser was purchased by my father in law in '61 and was rebarreled by Chet in the early 80's. I had Mark finish it up not long before his shop burned down in Los Molinos. It would've totally sucked if I had lost this gun. Total invoice for the stock and their Teflon coating on the action/magazine and the conetrols with a additional set of 30mm rings ended up at $1894 and worth every penny. It's my favorite rifle.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by JLimbo
Looking at my work order from Browns my stock was $995 plus $329 for the kevlar and another $75 for graphite. This was fully finished and bedded with a decelerator which pushed the weight to 23 ounces.

My FN Mauser was purchased by my father in law in '61 and was rebarreled by Chet in the early 80's. I had Mark finish it up not long before his shop burned down in Los Molinos. It would've totally sucked if I had lost this gun. Total invoice for the stock and their Teflon coating on the action/magazine and the conetrols with a additional set of 30mm rings ended up at $1894 and worth every penny. It's my favorite rifle.

Very sweet rifle. Thanks for sharing the costs and the pics. Extremely nice all Brown precision right there. Cool that Chet was involved in working on that one too. If you notice in one of my pictures, I have a Brown Precision concentricity gauge on one of the targets. Seemed fitting at the time. I'd also wager that your rifle weighs around 7.5 pounds as shown. That is a sweetheart..

BSA MAGA
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Very sweet rifle. Thanks for sharing the costs and the pics. Extremely nice all Brown precision right there. Cool that Chet was involved in working on that one too. If you notice in one of my pictures, I have a Brown Precision concentricity gauge on one of the targets. Seemed fitting at the time. I'd also wager that your rifle weighs around 7.5 pounds as shown. That is a sweetheart..[/quote]

Thanks. It is a sweetheart. Also a good guess on the weight and only missed by two ounces. It's 7lbs 10oz.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
JLimbo,
Thanks for sharing - gorgeous rifle.
So if I understand correctly, that was completed about five years ago?

IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Yeah I picked it up in the summer of '18 a couple of months before the shop burned down. Lucked out on that but a bunch of guys didn't as Mark always had a bunch of work in queue.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Sorry, but having both, I'll strongly disagree with you on this. The kevlar adds a lot of strength. I'd take one of those over a graphite shell/carbon fiber stock any day of the week and twice on Sunday. Especially on an Easter Sunday. Until you have one with kevlar in it, you won't understand what I'm saying. Also, I'm not sure what you are referring to as a "PoundR" is really a PoundR stock. You may want to check into that. As I was only aware of the ones made with Kevlar. Maybe yours is a unicorn??

My error. I mistakenly thought the Pound'r came in fiberglass too, but if it's straight fiberglass, then it's just a generic Brown stock blank, not the Pouund'r. The reason I'm skeptical of Kevlar is that no one else uses it, with the exception of Mel Forbes and he used an aramid/carbon hybrid weave. But virtually everyone else looking to make the lightest, strongest stocks is using carbon fiber exclusively or with a little fiberglass cloth. Kevlar is good for laminating with carbon fiber because the latter is brittle and kevlar isn't. So, together, you get great stiffness (from the CF) and fracture resistance (strength from the Kevlar) but it's the carbon fiber that imparts stiffness. If you lay up some kevlar cloth, you'll see it bends easily but does not tear easily.

Last edited by Tarquin; 04/09/23.

Tarquin
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JLimbo
Yeah I picked it up in the summer of '18 a couple of months before the shop burned down. Lucked out on that but a bunch of guys didn't as Mark always had a bunch of work in queue.

Jim,

Here's one I never let you see, so you wouldn't heat me with your checkbook until I let you steal it. wink

It's an FN Supreme 30-06 with a light contour barrel and 3-position safety in a Pound'r. It has some hunting "experience", but it likes it's home here. With scope it weighs just at 7 pounds. Rosie's all excited that I brought out a gun, so I'd better calm her down now.
grin

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
luv2 I miss little Rosie Posie, please give her a chin rub for me. Having Mark finish out my Mauser was well worth it. I absolutely love the fit and feel and the arc of the grip on the classic stock.

Mine started out as an Imperial grade that sold new in 4/61 for $165 with the Lyman All American that you've seen at $54.50 and a Buehler scope mount for $22.85. This was back when there were gun shops in the Bay Area.

I think my FIL had it restocked when Chet rebarreled it. Here's what it looked like when I got it.

It fits me sooo much better.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mine came with two stocks, the pound'r and one of the big spacegun types in myrtle wood. I got the whole shebang for $465.00, sold the wood stock for $265.00 and have my $200.00 FN/Pound'r '06.

That sure was a period gun. Did you keep the walnut stock?

btw...Rosie's feelers is hurt. You din't take her huntin last fall.

Owen did...

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I'm very glad she got to hunt with Owen and I think I could make it up to her. As for the stock I don't think it's walnut. It's much lighter colored and even the grip cap and reverse Weatherby forend are darker but not by much.

It does have way more figure than that pic shows but oh my god that cheek piece does not fit me. Plenty of room to fiddle it down for some body other than me. I love my Pounder. If you want it it's yours. No emotional ties to the stock but the gun itself.

Please let me know. I'm busy the next few weekends but after I'd love to rub on Miss Rosie and chew the fat.

BTW You stole that Mauser. grin grin

Last edited by JLimbo; 04/10/23.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

After reading prices on this thread I realize how I REALLY stole that one...

I will say that 2 or 3 years ago the shipping was about 10% of the cost. Lol.

I had to do a little bedding and such and decided to repaint when I was done to clean it up. Fun little project for me.

Dandy little stock. I really like it. Still might repaint it again one day. Still a little slick for my liking...I used textured spray paint but it's still a hard finish and still a little slick when I have gloves on and sneaking through the rain or snow.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Both my 7mm RM m700 and 7mm-08 m77 Mk ll both have the Kevlar Pound’r Brown pre-finished stocks on them. That 7# 7mm RM has a 30 mm 2.5-10x42 Swarovski on it with a 24” #1 taper hard chrome bead blasted green camo painted barrel and action. That one dates back into the late 70’s and the stock isn’t foam filled which makes it a little hollow sounding in the brush. The 7mm-08 m77 Mk ll goes 7# 4 ounces with a 30mm Zeiss 1.5-6x42 and 20” #1 taper Shilen (should have made that one a #2) and full camo paint. That Pound’r being foam filled is quieter. Regarding the paint chipping issue. Yes, I climb some trees with that rifle and it has a few rubs that I would attribute to brittle Brown camo painting. It works so well otherwise, a few battle scars don’t matter to me.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Windfall
Both my 7mm RM m700 and 7mm-08 m77 Mk ll both have the Kevlar Pound’r Brown pre-finished stocks on them. That 7# 7mm RM has a 30 mm 2.5-10x42 Swarovski on it with a 24” #1 taper hard chrome bead blasted green camo painted barrel and action. That one dates back into the late 70’s and the stock isn’t foam filled which makes it a little hollow sounding in the brush. The 7mm-08 m77 Mk ll goes 7# 4 ounces with a 30mm Zeiss 1.5-6x42 and 20” #1 taper Shilen (should have made that one a #2) and full camo paint. That Pound’r being foam filled is quieter. Regarding the paint chipping issue. Yes, I climb some trees with that rifle and it has a few rubs that I would attribute to brittle Brown camo painting. It works so well otherwise, a few battle scars don’t matter to me.

Those sound like killer rifles Windfall!

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Mauser06
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

After reading prices on this thread I realize how I REALLY stole that one...

I will say that 2 or 3 years ago the shipping was about 10% of the cost. Lol.

I had to do a little bedding and such and decided to repaint when I was done to clean it up. Fun little project for me.

Dandy little stock. I really like it. Still might repaint it again one day. Still a little slick for my liking...I used textured spray paint but it's still a hard finish and still a little slick when I have gloves on and sneaking through the rain or snow.

There are some deals out there for sure. The best way for some of us to get into a Brown Precision PoundR is to buy used. Rifle or stock, doesn't matter. Anyway you can get your hands on one, if it's in the cheap, that's all the better.. When you buy new, you know what you are getting, but you also pay out the azz for it.

BSA MAGA
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

525 members (10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 12344mag, 163bc, 45 invisible), 2,373 guests, and 1,270 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,641
Posts18,493,238
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.