Print Thread
Hop To
B
BKinSD Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I had built an Aero M5 lower that sat here in my office for some years waiting for me to get more interested in it. I'm not wild about these things, don't know that much about them but its good to have one in case someone tells me I can't have one. It was fun to build it but I didn't want to build an upper. I got an email last week indicating a sale on a complete upper that I couldn't pass up. It arrived today, I put a scope on the thing and its time to feed it some.

What should I feed this thing? 308? 7.62x51?

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd just try a couple of flavors or three of whatever ammo you think will serve your purposes. I don't believe there's any appreciable difference between .308 and 7.62 NATO, at least as far as pressures are concerned.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
It's cut for a 308 chamber sounds like, so nominally whatever you want. However, my personal opinion is maybe stay away from the spiciest of loads as a precaution, as the complete uppers tend to be overgassed

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
If you can find Hornady American Gunner 155 grain BTHPs, those shoot accurately from my AR as well as bolt guns. Velocity is on the slow side, but they shoot great.

I picked up some 155 grain BTHPs with cannelure and loaded with a mid range load of IMR-4895 these are about 100 fps faster and just as accurate.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
What are you going to use it for?

Hunting? Targets?

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B2

B
BKinSD Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Thanks everyone this is helpful.

I'm not going to use it for much, certainly not hunting. More likely I'll sight it in and punch some paper now and then with it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by scoony
If you can find Hornady American Gunner 155 grain BTHPs, those shoot accurately from my AR as well as bolt guns. Velocity is on the slow side, but they shoot great.

I picked up some 155 grain BTHPs with cannelure and loaded with a mid range load of IMR-4895 these are about 100 fps faster and just as accurate.

If I have a rifle that is primarily going to be used for paper with some chance of being employed for game or home defense, I also tend to look at Hornady's budget hollowpoint loads. Like many, I've killed game with them and also shot decent groups with them.

Now with even more aplomb
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by BKinSD
I had built an Aero M5 lower that sat here in my office for some years waiting for me to get more interested in it. I'm not wild about these things, don't know that much about them but its good to have one in case someone tells me I can't have one. It was fun to build it but I didn't want to build an upper. I got an email last week indicating a sale on a complete upper that I couldn't pass up. It arrived today, I put a scope on the thing and its time to feed it some.

What should I feed this thing? 308? 7.62x51?

You don't handload? That is what I feed mine. Other than that, just use 308 winchester. That's not saying you can't use 7.62 ammo in your rifle. I have a buddy that is running an M5E1 with 18" barrel and he uses old Australian F4 ball in his. I believe his is a BA barrel, and quite accurate. He says he's sitting on 20,000 rounds of that ammo, so he "has to shoot it in something".. The best thing to do is try different ammo. Get ammo that will suit your needs and shoots accurately in your rifle. I wouldn't be going out and buying match grade ammo for it, that is where handloading comes into play..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I am using RL15 and 155 TMK's in my 308 AR. They shoot real well and seemed to fly pretty well at distance.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by beretzs
I am using RL15 and 155 TMK's in my 308 AR. They shoot real well and seemed to fly pretty well at distance.

I'm sure they do. 168's always worked very well in mine. It's a 308w though, that should just about say it all.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

B
BKinSD Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Oh I do handload for sure. And I might well do that for this rifle, we'll see how much fun it is or not. It sure is a heavy bugger. Oooofff.

I built an entire AR-15 several years ago and then built this lower during boring conference calls and it just sat here in the corner of my office. I got an email flyer for a very advantageous price on an Aero complete upper, 18" chrome moly bbl chambered in 308. So when it arrived I put a scope on it which I had at hand also, and will go from there.

I appreciate all the advice and guidance, all this makes sense to me. Glad to have your experiences to give guidance.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by BKinSD
Oh I do handload for sure. And I might well do that for this rifle, we'll see how much fun it is or not. It sure is a heavy bugger. Oooofff.

I built an entire AR-15 several years ago and then built this lower during boring conference calls and it just sat here in the corner of my office. I got an email flyer for a very advantageous price on an Aero complete upper, 18" chrome moly bbl chambered in 308. So when it arrived I put a scope on it which I had at hand also, and will go from there.

I appreciate all the advice and guidance, all this makes sense to me. Glad to have your experiences to give guidance.

Cool man. Then the sky is really the limit. An AR10 308 is pretty simple to load for. You will be limited to mag box length, but just find the best shooting load at that length and you'll be fine. I've ran 150gr FMJ's in mine for just plinking around and up to 180gr Nosler partitions, incase I ever wanted to take it elk hunting. Like you though, I found mine just too heavy when loaded up and scoped to enjoy out in the hunting fields. YMMV on that one though. They are fun at the range for ringing steel and punching paper though.

BSA MAGA
B
BKinSD Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Thanks much, I'm looking forward to it. I put a good trigger in it, much better than the one in my AR15. That alone might make it more fun. I can't imagine humping that thing on the trail or in the hills tho. Whew that would get old. Appreciate the thoughts, thanks.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They are better for packing in to a spot and sitting, versus carrying around, for sure. One I have was 7.6lbs naked, which isn't terrible when compared to basic bolt action sporter, but fully rigged out with a can, full mag, NV optic and illuminator, etc. and it gains right at 5lbs.

Now with even more aplomb
B
BKinSD Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
For sure. I can tell you if my pickup isn't going someplace, this rifle isn't either.

N
N
buy some boxes of various match 308 ammo and see what she likes. then buy lots of whatever the gun likes and is cheapest/easiest to find.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Winchester gray box soft point hunting ammo is relatively inexpensive shoots great and you can find it most places.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

88 members (35, Akhutr, 10gaugemag, akrange, 16 invisible), 1,639 guests, and 841 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,628
Posts18,492,940
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.