Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
I’ve Been reading things on here for years and really enjoy it! Finally joined today to ask about a rifle I recently picked up.

It’s a post 64 model 70 super grade, says “super grade” on the barrel address and of course on the floor plate. It’s controlled round feed and has the red recoil pad that I always connect to mid/late 80s and early 90s model 70s. What’s throwing me off is it also seems to be configured as a safari model, front sling swivel is on the barrel and has open sights with 2 flip ups on the rear sight for yardage. No black Forend tip and it’s chambered in 300 win mag. I’ve found plenty of safari grades similar but so far none that are also super grade’s from those years and also no safari’s in 300 win mag. Winchester has no records of it. I bought it well worth the money in my opinion but would just like to know more about it. if I have anything special or just something very un desirable and that’s why I can’t find another like it. Thank you!

GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Boy I got nothing on that one. Sounds interesting. I'd love to see a picture or two of it. Welcome to the forum!

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
SN somewhere between G15xxx and G40xxx?

D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
Yes, G16xxx

D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
If I can figure out how I’ll get some on here. Thanks!

IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Denver257
Yes, G16xxx

It was definitely an option from the custom shop to have those sights. I will look at my price list when I get home and see if it was also listed as an option for that first year classic supergrade.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Custom Shop proof mark?

One or two piece bottom metal?

I have a 30-06 that sounds similar. Two piece, sights, Custom Shop proof mark, Super grade rollmark, but a four digit serial.

Last edited by McCray; 04/13/23.

Winchester rifles and Swarovski scopes.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by McCray
Custom Shop proof mark?
Shouldn’t with that serial number.

D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
Custom Shop proof mark?

I have a 30-06 that sounds similar. Two piece, sights, Custom Shop proof mark, Super grade rollmark, but a four digit serial.
Custom Shop proof mark?

What does a custom shop proof mark look like? And where do I find it?

D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
I can’t seem to get the picture posting thing figured out.

IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
What does a custom shop proof mark look like? And where do I find it?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

2nd stamp on the screen right.

postimage.org for pics.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Custom Shop proof mark?

Yes, that <5 digit sn is why yours is - and his won’t be - a CS gun.

Sounds like a nice one - do you have the CS letter?

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
No letter with mine, the guy I bought it from didn't know what he had and I wasn't going to ask too many questions Think I paid $700.

I was thinking I had seen CS guns with GXXXXX serial numbers, but if it has a two piece bottom and no "ebony" forearm tip it sounds like an early gun anyways.

Winchester rifles and Swarovski scopes.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
No letter with mine, the guy I bought it from didn't know what he had and I wasn't going to ask too many questions Think I paid $700.

I was thinking I had seen CS guns with GXXXXX serial numbers, but if it has a two piece bottom and no "ebony" forearm tip it sounds like an early gun anyways.

Yeah, I wouldn’t have either! laugh

I have seen custom shop guns that were seven digit, but I’ve never been able to pin down exactly when they transitioned from the four (or less) digit to that. Perhaps when they made 9,999 custom shop guns?

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Yes, G16xxx

It was definitely an option from the custom shop to have those sights. I will look at my price list when I get home and see if it was also listed as an option for that first year classic supergrade.
If it was a custom shop model, I think jeweling might be on the follower and there will be a second stamping just ahead of the receiver and on top of the barrel shank.. It'll be an oval with a "CS" inside.

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
I checked, no custom shop markings.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Well, I don't know what it is either, but it sure seems like an interesting and useful rifle!

Regards, Guy

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

I checked as well. Not listed as an option anywhere in the ‘92 price list I have.

Is it possible someone added the sights and band? Is the sling stud hole still present in the forend?

D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by AKwolverine

I checked as well. Not listed as an option anywhere in the ‘92 price list I have.

Is it possible someone added the sights and band? Is the sling stud hole still present in the forend?
The sights and band sure appear to be factory, if they are not someone did a beyond outstanding job of naming them look correct. And there is definitely no evidence of the sling stud ever being in the stock.

D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
Another thing I’ve noticed is there is a gold colored inlay in the super grade letters on the floor plate, don’t know if that means anything, I’ve seen that added by individuals on colt single actions in the past so I assume it could be on this as well. I’ve honestly never handled a super grade from that time, I have a couple but they are both the recent maple production. I would post some pictures but my internet connection isn’t great here and I haven’t been able to figure it out yet. Really wanting to get something figured out on this if o can because I’m thinking about selling it. I have 2 other 300 win mags I favor over this one and where and the way I hunt I really don’t need another, thinking this could fund another gun purchase, I just don’t want to let go of something special too cheap or at all if I found out something interesting about it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

616 members (007FJ, 1936M71, 163bc, 06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 71 invisible), 2,600 guests, and 1,334 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,716
Posts18,475,647
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.