Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 15 of 24 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 23 24
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
When my shots are inside 100yds, I like my 7.62x39 with a K6 loaded with fusions…

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Jim_Knight
In SE Texas, the fastest woods rifle I ever used was a Marlin 1894/44 Mag with factory irons. Pure poison! I did almost as well with a Win Mod 94 Classic carbine ( except the heavier barrel made a "slight" difference in getting on target fast.)
Here in Utah, I like the Remington 700 MR, and the Win 70 FWT Classic, or similar. They are a bit "light in the britches" out on the windy prairies, but thats a different kind of hunting too.

I killed my first deer with a Marlin 1894 .44 Remington Magnum. We would go "flush the thickets" as deer were bedded mid day. If you were on foot, you got first crack at the deer you jumped. If you had field duty, you got the open shots on anything driven out. You had to be fast, and the little lever gun was my choice for that job.

"Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by GSPfan
This works either close or far. Pre 64 M70 7MM carbine
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc][url=https://postimg.cc/bDMzR7NV]

That is one sweet rifle. Perfect, right down to the chambering.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by GSPfan
This works either close or far. Pre 64 M70 7MM carbine
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc][url=https://postimg.cc/bDMzR7NV]

Wow….. down right mean to post that……

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I brought my first deer to bag with an old Coast to Coast ( mossberg 500) 12ga with a short slug barrel and rifle sights shooting 2.75” winchester slugs. The deer were driven past me and I picked out the fattest doe and let fly. I saw the big hole in her side just behind her shoulder appear and to my surprise she just kept going. The shot was perhaps 40 yards and she only went a short distance after the shot. I’m sure that combo would work equally well yet today. The last time I went slinking through the woods looking for a deer I had a straight stocked marlin 30-30 with a 2-7 redfield set on 4x loaded with 170 Sierra reloads. I never found a deer but I’m guessing it woulda worked just fine. 12ga slugs and 30-30’s have both proven quite capable for me many times over.

IC B2

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Brno 21h in 7X57 with 3X Burris

Last edited by kaboku68; 04/09/23.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Steyr 1950 MS in 30/06 with 1X4 Leupold scope.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Model 71 Carbine in 348 Winchester.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K

This old girl belonged to William Boyden and was in action from 1935 clear to 1972. Sedgley Sporter in 30/06 with a lyman 48.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
This HVA '06 weighs 6#'s as shown and handles like a bird gun, so I'm thinking it would fit the description of what the OP is posting. It had been equipped with a Leupold 2-7. Because of the low comb, I converted it to iron sights using a Skinner peep. With this combo, I get great cheek weld, much better than with the higher mounted scope. With the Skinner, you adjust the front sight. This sight screws into the rear action screw (6-48) secured with a lock nut (ring).

This is a new configuration for this rifle and I haven't shot it yet. Due to light weight, I started out using 125/130 gr. bullets at around 3,100 fps. They were so accurate, I never tried heavier bullets. These bullets exit a chest shot WT with quick kills, so why would I need heavier bullets for local WT's and hogs. I use Fed 215 primers and 59 gr. BG. Gun has a Timney trigger. These loads have mild recoil, considerably less than heavy bullets out of a light '06.

Here is a link to the original HVA project, posted previously. https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/8948791/1

DF

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Chuck_R
I've got one that sort of fits, M7 MS with 20" barrel in .350RM with a Swarovski 1.25-4X on it:

It recently shed some weight and the Manlicher stock in favor of a Manner CF stock:

Does well in the thick stuff, but also has enough oomph and flat enough trajectory to work in clear cuts.
really like the top one. both are awesome!!

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by kaboku68
Steyr 1950 MS in 30/06 with 1X4 Leupold scope.
That 30-06! Awesome!!

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
While my case is not as severe as some I am a confirmed rifle loony and am proud of it. I've tried several rifles through the years but Marlin lever actions from 357 magnum to 45/70 have been the rifles most often reached for in the thickets and creek bottoms I tend to hunt the most. My favorite 336 Marlin has long been a plain Jane regular carbine chambered in 35Remington. A hand loaded 200gr RN Core-Lokt has accounted for all of the deer its taken but one.
For years I kept records of every deer I felled and I found that my average shot was just a little over 60 yards. One day while hunting I got to thinking about such things and realized that I was somewhat overgunned with a bolt action 25/06 and a 100gr Nosler Partition at 3400fps. Especially that day as I sat in a climbing stand in a thicket where 40 yards was a long way. The next year found me hunting with my much beloved 35 Remington. I've been a fan of Marlins ever since. I've got several now but keep coming back to my 35 time and again. There's nothing wrong with the rest and I do enjoy my M375 a lot but there is now room for one more.
I have just put together a Glenfield model 30 in a JES rebore to 356. I figured if the 35 Rem worked so well then an additional 300+fps ought to make them "more dead." My model 30 is the half magazine version that was only cataloged for one or two years it has the feel of being lighter all around even though it just removed a few ounces out front. I've replaced the beech stocks with a set of walnut courteous of a take off and eBay. The rifle has a one piece base that incorporates the bottom half of the rings made by Monstrum. In the rings sets my favorite scope, a Leupold 2.5-8x. I'm thinking of sending it in to have a #4 reticle installed as I find the regular duplex a bit fine when trying to get on a running deer in the timber or the first and last few moments of shooting hours.
While many of you may chuckle at the thought this is the closest thing that I'll ever have to a custom rifle. It fits me and the way I choose to hunt quite well. It's fast to the shoulder and my eye is behind the sweet spot of the Leupold when it lands. All my Marlins handle this well but this one now is "mine" it's the way I want it.

"I know you believe that you understand what you think that I said...
But I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
( A quote of my Father)
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Talking about Francis Sell this morning and his description of deer in close cover came up. The movement of a branch from the flick of an ear etc.

I said I thought I could show this as the old does hang out pretty close at this time of year. 

This doe flicked her ears and moved small limbs by browsing but I didn't get my video.

She knew we were there and didn't care but did not want to give me the "Money Shot"

She did take one step out and eat some grass. 

Slim
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
If it was real thick, shots under 60 yards, I’d go with this old 99 in 32-40. The thang is so much fun to shoot. I can get 2” groups or less at 50 yards since I got a new store bought eye. If I was walking around in thick stuff I’d take this.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by hanco; 05/15/23.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Is that a: Hank of Hog"

Some fast leverin

Slim
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I have a 1951 or so Marlin 336 in 35 Remington which is good medicine.

The way life should be.
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by william_iorg
Is that a: Hank of Hog"

Some fast leverin

They were caught in trap pens, sat off bout 50 yards, banged away.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
"I also learned it was much easier to hit game running away, whether straight away or at an angle like trap shooting than when crossing through intervening cover. This largely due to what I call for lack of a better description, "the picket fence effect" wherin over magnified, blurry, intervening cover can make it difficult to time a shot when there's a clear path from bullet to game."

You keep insisting that you know more than anybody else about shooting close-range game, including this quote. But as far as I can tell from your posts, you hunt only in New York, and maybe another neighboring state or two.

You might be interested to know that hunting winter jackrabbits in Montana mostly involves hunting sagebrush--because that's what they use for both food and cover. Depending on the year and location, it's generally knee-high, and sometimes waist-high. When they're in the sage "thickets" they're typically found in during the colder months, one of the best methods for hunting is after a fresh snow, when you can track them into a thicket, which can be anywhere from 20-100 yards wide.

You can then walk around the edge of the thicket, to see if their tracks leave. If they don't, then you go back to where their tracks enter, and follow 'em up, keeping your eyes open. Sometimes you'll find the jack "hiding" under a sagebrush--where they can be very hard to see because the white-tailed species (the kind we primarily have in Montana) turns white in the winter. Sometimes all you can see is their dark eyeball, and if so can get a very close-range shot.

But more often they jump and run, and they're not only running through 1-3 foot high sagebrush--some even between "thickets"--but they bound as much as 10 feet, meaning the target is not only moving fast, but up and down--unlike a cottontail. (And yes, we have plenty of cottontails in Montana too--and I've hunted plenty of them as well.) This can get pretty tricky.

Mule deer also bound up and down unless running flat-out, and in fact usually do when jumped in thick cover, like what is known as "peckerpole" lodgepole pine. The timing is interesting here too. I've found it easiest to hit them by timing when they hit the ground, rather than at the peak of their bound--the opposite of jackrabbits bounding through sagebrush, which are often only visible (and hittable) at the top of their bounds.

Brings back great memories hunting jackrabbits west of Utah Lake during college. The wife and newborn son were in my old 55 Ford pickup driving the dirt roads in the tall sagebrush. My friend Wade and I were in the pickup bed leaning against the cab. When we saw a jack we would knock on top of the cab, she would stop and we would shoot. I was using a Ruger #1 in .220 Swift and Wade was using M71 .348 Win I inherited from my grandfather. Yes we were overturned but sure had fun. Later, I bought a deluxe wood checked 10-22 "for the new son," thinking I had the right rabbit medicine. Turned out it just shot more misses! A well-placed shot more important than a fuselage of golden .22s. Wish I could do that again.

Old guy, old guns.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Overgunned, not overturned.

Old guy, old guns.
Page 15 of 24 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 23 24

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

535 members (219 Wasp, 222Sako, 1eyedmule, 06hunter59, 1_deuce, 12344mag, 60 invisible), 2,566 guests, and 1,319 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,566
Posts18,473,245
Members73,940
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.