Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
How long do you guys carry the same ammo before you replace it with fresh? I know factory ammo has a good shelf life, but what's a reasonable time frame?

I have some 45 acp that is fifteen years old and should probably be replaced. With the kids now carrying 9mm and the couple that my wife and I carry, replacing a couple magazines for each gun can be an expensive proposition, 200ish rounds.

GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Don’t you ever shoot it?

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I shoot them all the time, but with cheap FMJ. I tested all of them with the carry ammo for function, but don't routinely practice with the expensive stuff.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I carry and shoot the same load, but since you do not, why not run the occasional carry ammo through your piece just to ensure it still works? You’ll have more piece of mind, as well as fresh ammo.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I try to shoot out my carry ammo once a year. I started doing this after I left some .45 ACP carry ammo in my regular carry gun (at that time, a Springfield Armory TRP) for several years. When I eventually decided to shoot it out and replace it, the one in the chamber was a squib fire, i.e., it went off with less than half the normal force (I guess the powder got partially corroded by cleaning liquid residue in the chamber seeping in), and failed to properly eject. After that, I instituted the January rule, i.e., every January, I shoot out my carry ammo and replace it.

IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Thanks, Hawkeye. That's where I was leaning.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Not very scientific but my opinion. Ammo last for many years if it stored within reason. I still shoot deer and elk with 25 - 30 years old ammo. I test if from time to time and don't notice any change in accuracy or performance. Same with my carry ammo.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Redleg172
How long do you guys carry the same ammo before you replace it with fresh? I know factory ammo has a good shelf life, but what's a reasonable time frame?

I have some 45 acp that is fifteen years old and should probably be replaced. With the kids now carrying 9mm and the couple that my wife and I carry, replacing a couple magazines for each gun can be an expensive proposition, 200ish rounds.

WWll surplus ammo still shoots as well as it ever did. Have no idea why anyone would expect ammonto go bad for no reason

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
I try to shoot out my carry ammo once a year. I started doing this after I left some .45 ACP carry ammo in my regular carry gun (at that time, a Springfield Armory TRP) for several years. When I eventually decided to shoot it out and replace it, the one in the chamber was a squib fire, i.e., it went off with less than half the normal force (I guess the powder got partially corroded by cleaning liquid residue in the chamber seeping in), and failed to properly eject. After that, I instituted the January rule, i.e., every January, I shoot out my carry ammo and replace it.

I had that happen with 1 round in 45 ACP factory fresh ammo.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I reload my carry ammo. So maybe once a year I'll buy a box of premium bullets and load those as I see fit. Then I'll shoot some off an on through out the following year. I usually only have two magazines loaded with premium JHPs, the rest are loaded with hardcast.

After I drop and clear, I swap chambered round with the first or second in the magazine when I load and make ready. Out of habit I inspect the previously chambered round for setback and oil.

I've never discovered a problem with reliability nor have I had bullet setback.

IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Quarterly.

Bangflop! another skinning job due to .260 and proper shot placement.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Every year or two.

Carry guns should have a very, very light coat of oil. And no oil on the breech face, chamber, feed ramp, or magazines.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Yep. I go to great lengths to dry the chamber and breech face before reloading a handgun after cleaning.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
Every year or two.

Carry guns should have a very, very light coat of oil. And no oil on the breech face, chamber, feed ramp, or magazines.

That's where I am with it.

I try and shoot up my pickup ammo too. Hot temps, and rattling around dirt roads and such... It always seems to shoot just fine though.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Once a year for the ammo in the gun and magazines that get carried regularly. I'll also do it for stuff exposed to extreme temperatures and jostling on a regular basis. I've never experienced a problem, knock on wood.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm a once a year guy. And I keep my guns clean and lightly oiled, the chamber and breech face dry. If a semi auto it's the same for magazines, clean and dry. I piddle around in the back forty or scouting around in the national forest often enough that I will occasionally pop a shot or two off at some attacking pine cones, long range rocks, a wild hog or coyote or whatever that carry ammo gets cycled through my guns naturally throughout the course of the year.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

323 members (204guy, 16penny, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 1_deuce, 17CalFan, 44 invisible), 2,508 guests, and 1,360 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,112
Posts18,483,424
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.