Print Thread
Hop To
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Anything like this ever happen to you?

I was watching a 1964 episode of What's My Line on YouTube. I had never seen it before. I only watch them once, and then move on, as there are so many of them going back to the middle 1950s. Great show, by the way.

Anyway, the idea (in case you don't know) is for a contestant to walk up to the blackboard and write his or her name, and then sit down next to the host, at which point the host cues for his or her occupation to appear in print on the screen, and then the panel of four celebrities ask yes or no questions till they feel they can guess the contestant's occupation. If they get 20 "no" responses, the contestant wins $50.00, and they move on to a new contestant.

Well, occasionally, just for fun, after a contestant writes their first name, I will blurt out a random last name as a wild guess. I don't ever expect to be right. Today, however, the contestant (an elderly, female, chiropractor) wrote her first name, and I blurted out Mcgillicutti. She then proceeded write out her last name. Guess what it was? Yes, it was Mcgillicutti.

The chances of that occurring seem like they'd have to be astronomical, yet I swear that's exactly what happened.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
ESP

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
wasnt that one of Lucy's aliases?

.... like tears in the rain
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by AKA_Spook
wasnt that one of Lucy's aliases?
Yes, it was her maiden name in the show I Love Lucy.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
An interesting case of synchronicity occurred in my family recently. My wife was born into a Catholic family but never attended Mass in her life. However, her aunt and her mother took her to be baptized as an infant.

Recently, she decided to become a practicing Catholic and attended RCIA for several months in preparation.

She knew the Parish where she was baptized and wrote to them to see if she could get any documentation. It took a long time and a lot of searching. But finally the Parish found documentation of her Baptism and sent her a form which detailed it. The date chosen for her Baptism as an infant was random. Her Aunt and Mother just made arrangements with the Parish Priest and had it done. It occurred on April 8.

She recently completed her RCIA and, with others, participated in the ceremony which made her a full fledged practicing Catholic. It was a long Mass that was held in the evening,...lasted for four hours,..a very nice candle light service. Although a Protestant, I attended the service with her. Since she had already been baptized as an infant, she wasn't Baptized again. But she was anointed with oil to mark her return to the Church.

The date of the ceremony was April 8.

She was Baptized on April 8th as an infant just at random. Then, she resumed being a practicing Catholic on April 8th,..61 years later.

IC B2

U
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
U
No. I did see an episode of What's my line one time that had a guy that was there in Ford Theatre when President Lincoln was killed. From that to being on television in one lifetime........crazy.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When I was a wee lad, my mother fell on hard times with a broken marriage and she took us to her mom and dad's house where we lived for a while. Her youngest brother was only five years older than I, and I quickly came to think of my family structure as something it was not. We did not remain there long, but my Uncle Fred and I redarded each other as brothers. The grandparents moved out of that house in the 60s, but Fred and I always were nostalgic over that house and that neighborhood. In fact, he buried a time capsule in that backyard and I will someday seek permission to dig it up. I know exactly where it is. Anyway...

Fast forward to a beautiful fall Saturday afternoon in the early 80s. I was out cruising around aimlessly and decided to find Fred so we could cook something up for that night. He wasn't at home, nor was he at any of his buddy's houses. He wasn't at any relatives house. Not at the gunshop. Something told me to cruise past our old 1960s home. I drove past slowly, memories flooding forth as I looked at it, seemingly unchanged. When I reached the stop sign three houses past, here came Fred around the corner, rolling his window down before he came to a stop.He said "I've been looking all over for you and something told me I'd find you here."

We had a connection, for sure. A psychic connection? I dunno, but I really miss him.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Upperplainsman
No. I did see an episode of What's my line one time that had a guy that was there in Ford Theatre when President Lincoln was killed. From that to being on television in one lifetime........crazy.

Help me with the math. Was the guy 100 years old?

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That show was on the tube in the 50s, IIRC. But he'd have been ancient, regardless.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RiverRider
That show was on the tube in the 50s, IIRC. But he'd have been ancient, regardless.

Googled it an the original show started in 1950. Lincoln was killed in 1865.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
Originally Posted by Upperplainsman

Help me with the math. Was the guy 100 years old?

There's a copy of that show on YouTube if you'd like to watch it, and yes he was very old but I don't remember the details.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Twice out in the hills with my family, my vehicle broke down, and by chance my cousin/buddy soon came around a corner in his car to the rescue. Once, I blew the lining from the clutch disc in the 65 GMC hauling firewood. Another time I hooked a rock in the road with a 77 Volare and ripped the oil drain plug out of the pan.

No supernatural forces at work. We just had a limited area in which we liked to recreate, and we both spent many weekends there. Sometimes together with our families, sometimes not.

Third coincidence?

Friday after work, I stopped at a cousin's house. His Dad told me cousin had put the camper on and headed out earlier that day.

Hell, he can't go to the hills without his dirt bike. So I backed up to the barn and loaded both of our bikes into the back of my Toyota p/u.

There was a flat spot beside a stream about 150 yds off the road, and behind a hill out of sight. That is the first spot to look. Sure enough, 70 miles later, when I pulled in, there was the pickup and camper. We spent the entire next day riding the dirt bikes all over the mountains.

Usually, we make our own luck.

Turns out he had gone to the hills without saying anything because he was with a gal I had dated a few weeks previously. My thoughts, if she was not committed to me, which I knew she was not, he might as well be screwing her as anyone else. Anyhow, she seemed a bit shocked that we did not go to fist city. And instead he asked her, "We're going riding. You coming along?"

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (12344mag, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 163bc, 1234, 17CalFan, 62 invisible), 2,277 guests, and 1,316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,995
Posts18,499,956
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.