Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
BKinSD Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Assume I'm administering an estate which contains among other things approximately 200 guns. Somewhere around 20 are vintage collectible Winchesters and Colts. Somewhere around 100 are NIB guns, many Winchester levers from the post 64 era. The remainder are just guns. Nice ones but not collectible. Very few are what Id call junk. Mostly rifles and handguns, not so many shotguns.

Assume the following facts:
They're going as a batch
Some gun shop/auctioneer/auction house will be engaged.
No one involved is going to do the work of selling/shipping.
The beneficiary of the receipts from the firearms is a defined charity.
Local auctioneer charges 15%, no buyers premium.
National auctioneer charges 20% and a 17.5% buyers premium.
Bulk sale to a gun shop incurs no percentage.

Tell me how you'd proceed in order to maximize the return to the beneficiary.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
GB1

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Seems like a no-brainer.

Local auctioneer is a defined price.

National auctioneer is rape.

Local gun show will want them for 50cents on the dollar or less.

Local auctioneer. You might not get the big money for the collectibles, but you'll still get good value for them.

C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Believe me do the local auctioneer and make sure its well advertised. Also, insist that the auctioneer or an assistant knows firearms well enough to do a good plug for each one as they come up.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Local auctions has been the way around here for about 10 years now. Got 3-4 that handle all aspects including web auction, transfer and shipping. People figured out that Cabelas, Scheels and Bass pro were rip offs.

Swifty
B
BKinSD Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Interesting thoughts.

Do you think that local auctions find the top of the market routinely? Or do the national auctions simply create a higher market and keep more of it for themselves?

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Internet auctions have raised their prices into the ridiculous range. Sellers lose a huge portion of the value right there.

200 is enough guns to be worth looking for a bigger dealer willing to travel. He will earn his money by knowing his markets for the different grades, ie. Collector pieces vs shooters. Consigning locally should be a better option, but locally here the shops have become sex offenders...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
With those facts being assumed, a local auction is probably best. If they're well established, they'll know their market better than you, and they'll know how to gear their marketing for the auction.

If it was me doing it, I'd pull the collectables out and sell them separately, and then sell the rest as a lot.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I don’t believe the buyers premium comes out of the 20% the auction house charges, correct? Meaning, if the auction ends at 5K, the estate gets 4K, the buyer pays 5850?

For some of the more desirable items, I think the national exposure from one of the reputable auction houses would bring top dollar - and probably more than make up for the fees.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Here is a site I've bought a few guns on.The seller list the gun for the price they want to sell the gun for.The listing price for the seller seems reasonable. https://www.gunsinternational.com/sell-guns-online/membership-fees.cfm

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
B
BKinSD Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
I don’t believe the buyers premium comes out of the 20% the auction house charges, correct? Meaning, if the auction ends at 5K, the estate gets 4K, the buyer pays 5850?

For some of the more desirable items, I think the national exposure from one of the reputable auction houses would bring top dollar - and probably more than make up for the fees.

You're correct on the money, AK.

I'm a bit concerned that taking out the choice pieces and offering them separately might reduce the total interest and total take. Its an interesting conundrum.

IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
What about one of the GunBroker auction facilitators, like lock stock and barrel?

B
BKinSD Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I am not aware of such a creature

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
A friend does this for a living he charges 12% , he lists it on gun broker and guns international simultaneously.

You ship them to him or drop them off .

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
I would make a detailed list of the firearms, their condition, extras etc. then I would assign a high value and low value to each. After that start shopping it to some gun shops and auction houses.
First person I would contact is Mark Blote (First Stop Gun in Rapid City, South Dakota).

Assuming you're the administrator makes me assume you need to get fair value for them and so some due diligence is probably required.

I might consider pulling out the high dollar firearms and shopping both high dollar and low dollar separately.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by BKinSD
I am not aware of such a creature
There are a bunch out there. I know that the one I mentioned has a good reputation. They basically come, take everything, put it on gunbroker, charge you a percentage, and then reimburse you minus their fee. I believe their percentage is in line with what you have been talking about.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
A friend does this for a living he charges 12% , he lists it on gun broker and guns international simultaneously.

That is a deal and a half if he does a good job with the listings.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

That is a deal and a half if he does a good job with the listings.

I tell him what I want, he lists it and I have never had to drop my price. He researches the crap out of pricing before he puts it up.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
The local auctioneer is probably the best option IF, and that is a big IF, he is experienced and good at taking quality pictures and adding some description. Good quality pictures can easily add 50% to the selling prices in an online auction. With 200 guns a live auction could draw a big crowd at the right time also, but no one seems to do that anymore.

Jerry

Minnesota; Land of 10,000 Taxes
B
BKinSD Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I do not think a live auction is a good option here.

W
WMR Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
A local auction near here recently sold around 200 guns. It was in a small town within a 2 hr drive of several fairly large population centers. Some fairly good guns were sold but not nearly the quality you are dealing with. The guns all went very high and my brother came home empty handed. Good guns will bring good money at auction as long as people can get there. SD is not the most populated state, so I’d want to be near one of the larger cities. The idea of an internet broker also doesn’t sound bad. Good guns bring good money there, too. Also, an accurate appraisal is not always easy to get. A well attended auction settles this issue as well. An item is worth what someone is willing to pay, and money speaks louder than words. Good luck with this and bless you for helping out the heirs.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

509 members (1badf350, 10ring1, 1234, 12344mag, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 41 invisible), 1,807 guests, and 1,249 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,004
Posts18,520,527
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.