Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
O
OldHat Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
They had a security guard at the door and bullet proof glass at every service desk. More security than any bank I've been to. Looked like a liquor store in a blue hive. Sad state of affairs for sure.

Great service though I have to admit!

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Was in the local one here ohhhhh probably 6 years or so ago. Big guy at the entrance packing, I asked "what would you do if I had a concealed weapon on me". He said I'd check your permit and ask you to take it back out to your car. I laughed and said It's in my truck. He was a good dude.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Haven't been to our local Fedup Goobermint building in a while, but they had the same kind of security in the lobby. Armed guys, metal detector, questions, etc.

Officials obviously think they're more important and valuable than school kids, huh?

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Yup, I went in to sign up, I think around 2005-6...full security even back then. I knew the guard on a first name basis, and even then he insisted I take my Swiss Army 'Tinkerer' (2 1/4" main blade, designed to instill fear in the hearts of .gov drones) back out and leave it in my truck. But looking at the human debris sitting in the waiting area, perhaps the caution was warranted. Around here there is an unusually high population of doper burnouts, every single one of which is desperately trying to get on the "bad back/chronic pain" SS Disability gravy train.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
The security isnt for the 65 year olds who have worked all their life and are in to claim what they've earned.

Its for the SSI claimants who have did everything they can to avoid working all their lives and are bitching about not getting more of a handout.

"Put none but Americans on guard tonight."
-George Washington
IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Haven't been to our local Fedup Goobermint building in a while, but they had the same kind of security in the lobby. Armed guys, metal detector, questions, etc.

Officials obviously think they're more important and valuable than school kids, huh?

Clearly^^^^^^

FJB & FJT
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
The only time I've gone into one was when I was about 15. Back then, you weren't born with a Social Security number assigned, so you had to go in and get one assigned to you when you wanted your first job. Younger people are amazed when I tell them that.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I went to the SS office right after 911. There was an armed guard reading a book. I was about 5th in line. The 4th in line talked to someone at the desk long before his turn and then left. When his number got called I stood up and they asked for my number. I had the next number and she goes, Sir, I'm looking for blank, you'll have to wait and the guard STARTED TO DRAW HIS WEAPON. I reminded them of the guy who left and they were like, oh yeah, come on up and he put his gun away. Joke's on him, I hunt deer drives in southern Iowa so I don't flinch looking down a gunbarrel.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
CV540: You are so absolutely right on with your assessment of social security "S.S.I. scabs"!
I was a police officer in a large "first class" west coast city from the late 1960's to the late 1990's - and began learning about S.S.I. scabs right away.
For instance, for several years I was assigned to work the night shift in a ghetto adjacent whores and pimps populated precinct.
Over that time I arrested at least 100 "pimps". Mostly for beating their bitches and drugs/drunk driving type offenses. Back then it was required that suspects booked into jail had to list an occupation/employer (sadly this is no longer the case!) on the booking sheets and book of arrest! EVERY, I repeat EVERY one of those "pimps" listed S.S.I. as his occupation!
Think about that for a moment.
A few years after I transferred out of that precinct a pair of medical doctors in that city were arrested for "falsifying" S.S.I. statements/applications for money - thus allowing non-qualifying "people" (pimps) to rake in lifetime S.S.I. cash and benefits! I doubt those two arrests did anything in diminishing the fraud in that regard.
Again think about that for a moment.
Sadly the "gimmee, gimmee, gimmee" culture is alive, well and growing here in the once great United States of America.
I do NOT blame the front line workers in the social security offices for wanting to be protected from the "gimmee, gimmee, gimmee's" I blame demonrats, liberals and rinos for creating this culture filled with drugged up ner'do wells and chip on their shoulder entitlement seekers.
Sad.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
CV540: You are so absolutely right on with your assessment of social security "S.S.I. scabs"!
I was a police officer in a large "first class" west coast city from the late 1960's to the late 1990's - and began learning about S.S.I. scabs right away.
For instance, for several years I was assigned to work the night shift in a ghetto adjacent whores and pimps populated precinct.
Over that time I arrested at least 100 "pimps". Mostly for beating their bitches and drugs/drunk driving type offenses. Back then it was required that suspects booked into jail had to list an occupation/employer (sadly this is no longer the case!) on the booking sheets and book of arrest! EVERY, I repeat EVERY one of those "pimps" listed S.S.I. as his occupation!
Think about that for a moment.
A few years after I transferred out of that precinct a pair of medical doctors in that city were arrested for "falsifying" S.S.I. statements/applications for money - thus allowing non-qualifying "people" (pimps) to rake in lifetime S.S.I. cash and benefits! I doubt those two arrests did anything in diminishing the fraud in that regard.
Again think about that for a moment.
Sadly the "gimmee, gimmee, gimmee" culture is alive, well and growing here in the once great United States of America.
I do NOT blame the front line workers in the social security offices for wanting to be protected from the "gimmee, gimmee, gimmee's" I blame demonrats, liberals and rinos for creating this culture filled with drugged up ner'do wells and chip on their shoulder entitlement seekers.
Sad.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Right on the money Sir!

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Older sis used to work for SS. Had one case where the filer was so brilliant he could not tolerate being around ignorant normal people. Thus unable to work. He didn't score.

1Minute
O
OldHat Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
The only time I've gone into one was when I was about 15. Back then, you weren't born with a Social Security number assigned, so you had to go in and get one assigned to you when you wanted your first job. Younger people are amazed when I tell them that.
Same here. This time I brought my original card in along with my birth certificate to have some corrections made. The women said it is rare for people to bring their original card. My card is an antique.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I'm talking to a member of my club (an OTB) one day, Guy was on SSI disability for 10 years, now he's 65. They switched him over to retiree SSI. He went to the SS office to bitch and moan. He thought he was going to get both (double ssi).

OTB=Off the boat

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Have not been to one, and don't intend to go. Handle all electronically

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
These days it is just easier to avoid the riff raff at the office and do everything on line...

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Yep, did all of mine online. Don't want to deal with all the dip [bleep]!

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I went to sign up for Medicare and SS. No big deal

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I did mine over the phone. Took about 20 minutes.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
I did mine over the phone. Took about 20 minutes.

I thought you were my age, 61 or so?

Conduct is the best proof of character.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
The only time that I've ever been in one was in 2015 when I retired. They had the security like you guys have described. But the main thing I remember was the smell. Lots of unwashed bodies and they were probably all chain smokers. The employees were polite and efficient. Oh yeah, I had to return to my truck to leave my Swiss Army Knife!

The oldest SS card that I remember seeing belonged to an old Black Gentleman that I knew and it was made of metal.

lightman
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (12344mag, 1234, 17CalFan, 160user, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 61 invisible), 2,323 guests, and 1,168 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,517
Posts18,490,944
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.